Sliding rear window - do I need it?

jwgreene

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT supercrew in leadfoot with 5.0
I don't want this to come off as a jerk... so I mean it kindly.... I don't know where you did your reading, but it wasn't at https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/216705-rear-window-leak/ I've seen nothing in two years about a redesigned 3rd brake light spoiler, but I did have multiple window models installed as did hundreds of other owners. Go to that thread and you'll see what I am saying.
[/QUOTE

Yeah I read that too. I was on 3 different Facebook pages for 2020 and 2021+ Silverados Trail Boss’. I’ve read several posts about the cracks in the seams of the glass, stressed glass, and the bracket for the 3rd brake light. I’m not saying you’re wrong, it’s clear that’s what they are now pointing to as the issue. I’m saying they’ve apparently had multiple issues or problems figuring out what the issue was. It’s sad to see something plague multiple years of a truck like that has with the Silverado. Very poor quality control and very poor attention to issues.
Sponsored

Diceman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, Rapid Red, 6.5 bed
Occupation
Retired US Navy, retired manufacturing
I pretty sure mine comes with it as standard but if would have been an option I wouldn't have ordered it, just too small IMHO. Now if it was the full glass as others have said then yes I would have ordered it.

petervenkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat Powerboost
so stupid you cant take the headrest out to the middle back seat on the screw. I put lumber through the window all the time and that headrest is a hinderance.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Had it on my last truck and never used it. Didn’t get it on my new truck and don’t miss it. If I want more fresh air I’ll lower the back windows

Sponsored

OP
OP
BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
so stupid you cant take the headrest out to the middle back seat on the screw. I put lumber through the window all the time and that headrest is a hinderance.
I don't own an f-150 (yet), but I'm surprised that you can't remove the headrest. Isn't there a retaining tab that you depress to move the headrest up and down?

petervenkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat Powerboost
I don't own an f-150 (yet), but I'm surprised that you can't remove the headrest. Isn't there a retaining tab that you depress to move the headrest up and down?
I hope you can cause I will yank that middle one and leave it off. I dont have my truck either (order is in). But someone over at f150forum said you cant, so when I test drove I gave it a quick tug while pressing the tab and it didn't come out, so assumed he was right. granted, I didn't give it much work so it may be possible.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
There may be a second button to fully remove the headrest. I've been in a few vehicles with one button to raise/lower the headrest and a second one to completely remove it.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Regarding original topic of rear slider: Can confirm on new truck I do get rear slide window rattles, at various bass frequencies, and various cracking (opening) widths. With my previous XLT (with kicker subwoofer) I never had rattling at any frequency or opening.

I can get the rattling to go away on a given song by opening or closing the window an inch or so, it doesn't rattle at every width, but then a new song comes on with different bass frequency and I have to find a new width.

Have not attempted to fix or play with it more yet, just noticed it yesterday with our first great 80 degree weather and taking a joyride. If anyone has proven tips on the rattles please share!

There are some good sine wave tones I use for testing, by Bass Mekanik if anyone is interested. I search "bass mekanik sine" and he has fixed frequencies as well as sine wave sweeps for testing. Good for finding those pesky rattles.

Sponsored

JGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I hope you can cause I will yank that middle one and leave it off. I dont have my truck either (order is in). But someone over at f150forum said you cant, so when I test drove I gave it a quick tug while pressing the tab and it didn't come out, so assumed he was right. granted, I didn't give it much work so it may be possible.
Yes they are removable just press the two tab buttons on the bottom and it lifts right out, the 12 foot long boards fit just prefect...

Ford F-150 Sliding rear window - do I need it? thumbnail_20210404_125033

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
I'm planning on ordering a loaded 302a powerboost without the rear window or the sunroof. I've got too much road rash from multiple leaks in my recently sold 2019 "Sieverado". Not saying Ford can't build a non-leaking slider, but GM has a design defect and it is affecting '19-'21 models. They redesigned the glass three times since late 2018 and still can't get it right. After four unsuccessful repairs, I got rid of it. If you go to the gm truck forum you'll see brand new '21 owners still having this issue after it was reported in late 2018. And I really never used it nor the sunroof, maybe 5 or 6 times in two years. Meh, too hot in Florida, hah!

1617099003760.png
It comes with the 302 package. So unless you change the package you will get the window.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I deleted the OEM sliding rear window from my order. I've never had a truck w/o one (except my 52 Chevy) and I'll have one in my 2021. Just not the one Ford sells.