Sponsored

Sliding rear window - do I need it?

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I'm planning on ordering a loaded 302a powerboost without the rear window or the sunroof. I've got too much road rash from multiple leaks in my recently sold 2019 "Sieverado". Not saying Ford can't build a non-leaking slider, but GM has a design defect and it is affecting '19-'21 models. They redesigned the glass three times since late 2018 and still can't get it right. After four unsuccessful repairs, I got rid of it. If you go to the gm truck forum you'll see brand new '21 owners still having this issue after it was reported in late 2018. And I really never used it nor the sunroof, maybe 5 or 6 times in two years. Meh, too hot in Florida, hah!

Ford F-150 Sliding rear window - do I need it? 1617099003760
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I have it. Never use it. And I open the moonroof and side windows a lot.

jwgreene

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT supercrew in leadfoot with 5.0
I'm planning on ordering a loaded 302a powerboost without the rear window or the sunroof. I've got too much road rash from multiple leaks in my recently sold 2019 "Sieverado". Not saying Ford can't build a non-leaking slider, but GM has a design defect and it is affecting '19-'21 models. They redesigned the glass three times since late 2018 and still can't get it right. After four unsuccessful repairs, I got rid of it. If you go to the gm truck forum you'll see brand new '21 owners still having this issue after it was reported in late 2018. And I really never used it nor the sunroof, maybe 5 or 6 times in two years. Meh, too hot in Florida, hah!

1617099003760.png
Isn’t the GM issue more related to the 3rd brake light mount and not the rear glass or slider? Last I saw they have that remedied on the later 21 builds.

Swegner99

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2017 Expedition EL
I've had it in previous gen trucks, but in recent years I really dislike how they've made it so small and in the center of the glass, I much preferred it larger and full height.

Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Isn’t the GM issue more related to the 3rd brake light mount and not the rear glass or slider? Last I saw they have that remedied on the later 21 builds.
Negative, it is 97% due to the sliding window if you read that thread. Every week new leaks are appearing or getting reported on 21 models in that thread. There is also a GM service technician who has shared his experience working on these issues too.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Not when stress cracks are observed in the window frames and the TSB is to first lay seam sealant across it. If they leak again, then it could be spoiler bolts, but that is rare.

Codge24

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Plarinum, 2019 CRV 2021 & toys galore
I use mine a lot, as most have said for air movement. The "sliding beer window" was more functional back in the day with regular cabs when you did your Sunday "crop check"

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
I use mine all the time. When the temperature is moderate I open the sliding window and turn on outside air and it increases the circulation without the noise of opening a window.
This, to me is the main advantage. Sometimes on the expressway the moonroof can be too loud, so opening up the back window with a vent provides great air circulation. I'd recommend it.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
This, to me is the main advantage. Sometimes on the expressway the moonroof can be too loud, so opening up the back window with a vent provides great air circulation. I'd recommend it.
Yep! I love air circulation but hate the helmholtz throbbing which always happens when regular windows are cracked. I crack the moonroof, then adjust the rear slider to be open roughly 1" or so once at highway/freeway speeds, and there is no throb.

wayne

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 platinum loaded, 2013 raptor
On some trims, the power sliding rear window is optional. I never owned a truck, so what are the benefits and drawbacks to having a rear window opening? I'm looking at a XLT supercrew.
yes, to throw you beer cans out!!!! actually it does not cost that much more. I buy all my trucks at dealer cost or if it is a hot seller $200 over. I got my 21 platinum fully loaded except sunroof at dealer cost. I would never get a sunroof. The guides are cheap plastic and cost about $2200 to fix and they need to tear apart the inside of the truck.

jwgreene

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT supercrew in leadfoot with 5.0
Negative, it is 97% due to the sliding window if you read that thread. Every week new leaks are appearing or getting reported on 21 models in that thread. There is also a GM service technician who has shared his experience working on these issues too.

Odd. I was seriously considering the Trail Boss with the 6.2L before I ordered my F150. Everything I read about the rear glass leaking was about the 3rd brake light mount which they redesigned. I saw a few with different issues such as the stress cracks. Almost all of them had the sealant attempt tried first but it didn’t fix it because the water wasn’t coming in from there.
Sounds like GM has more than one design problem with the rear of the cab/glass/brake light. Not good.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Odd. I was seriously considering the Trail Boss with the 6.2L before I ordered my F150. Everything I read about the rear glass leaking was about the 3rd brake light mount which they redesigned. I saw a few with different issues such as the stress cracks. Almost all of them had the sealant attempt tried first but it didn’t fix it because the water wasn’t coming in from there.
Sounds like GM has more than one design problem with the rear of the cab/glass/brake light. Not good.
I don't want this to come off as a jerk... so I mean it kindly.... I don't know where you did your reading, but it wasn't at https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/216705-rear-window-leak/ I've seen nothing in two years about a redesigned 3rd brake light spoiler, but I did have multiple window models installed as did hundreds of other owners. Go to that thread and you'll see what I am saying.
Sponsored