Sliding rear window - do I need it?

BuffaloBill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
On some trims, the power sliding rear window is optional. I never owned a truck, so what are the benefits and drawbacks to having a rear window opening? I'm looking at a XLT supercrew.
Sponsored

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
If you've never had one you don't need it, lol. In my 49 years of existence the only thing I ever used one for was my dog. He would stick his head through it and bark at me when I stopped.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
My last 2 trucks had it and I specified it on my 2021. It’s nice to have in the summertime in my opinion for air circulation. It also provides a clearer view when it’s open as you aren’t looking through the tinted glass. Lastly, you can carry longer boards and such in the bed by extending the item through the open window.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I have used the rear sliding window many times for hauling lumber that was too long for the bed (12' to 16' long 2x8's). I use the rear OEM small carpeted floormats to protect the dash and top of the rear seat so the wood doesn't damage it during transit. Carpet makes it easy to slide the wood too.

All depends on how you think you'll be using your truck.

Five years ago I thought I wanted a pickup, but having never owned one wasn't quite sure I'd get the use out of it. So I bought a used 2010 F150 Lariat SCREW to try one out... And now I don't know how I ever got by without one! Now have a 2021 F150 on order.

In my case I'm frequently working on home renovation projects so hauling supplies from Lowes, hauling furniture moving kids back and forth from college, hauling trailers, boats, dirtbikes, mountain bikes, luggage + skis for a family of 5, helping friends move, etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
These are all great points, and I never thought of any except the air circulation. On a separate related topic, do truck rear windows become covered with snow and rain when driving (like a SUV or hatchback)? I have to use my rear wiper on my Tahoe whenever the streets are wet because of the draft and water collecting on the window, and I was wondering if that happens on a truck too.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
These are all great points, and I never thought of any except the air circulation. On a separate related topic, do truck rear windows become covered with snow and rain when driving (like a SUV or hatchback)? I have to use my rear wiper on my Tahoe whenever the streets are wet because of the draft and water collecting on the window, and I was wondering if that happens on a truck too.
In my experience the drafting of snow on the rear window is not an issue.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I have had since new, a black 79 Chev c-10
Moved to Phoenix from Idaho in 1980.
That sliding rear window was great for moving air in a non-AC truck.
I was in Phoenix 5 yrs before installing AC. ( just needed the heater in Idaho)
The slider has its good points and bad.
Granted this was an old timey window, but had a tendency to leak and would whistle when closed.
In S.Texas now, and seldom use the AC.
Popping the rear window in my ext cabs help with doing the same thing as the slider.
Always have a window down. Hot, cold, or even raining, my windo is open to some extent

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
In my experience the drafting of snow on the rear window is not an issue.
Agreed. Any buildup of snow and ice while the vehicle is stationary is taken care of by the window defroster. I don’t get any accumulation while driving.

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I am not a fan of how Ford does their rear window slider, but I would not own a truck without one. As stated above, they are great for air circulation, allowing for additional length for lumber or other long items, and, of course, for dogs to safely stick their heads out. My favorite rear window is the Tundra, as the whole thing rolls down. It also has rear defrost, which isn't really needed, but is nice to have nonetheless.

Steve5472

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Expedition Stealth Performance
If you're a "windows wide open and moon roof opened up" kind of guy then I would say yes it is worth it. I spend most of the summer driving around with every window (including the rear slider) and moonroof wide open and it does help with circulating that nice breeze.

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
The only reason I added it to my build is because I know my 4 and 3 year old will love it. I can hear them saying "Daddy open the window!!!" Yes I can open their side windows. All these other points up top are great also though, Im sure it will come in use.

Smroepe

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport SuperCrew
Posted in a separate thread, but does anyone know what it would cost to have it added later? The exact truck i wanted just doesn’t have that option. Wondering if I can add it down the line

boo radley

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 F150 1992 F150, 1999 F150, 2004 F150, 2013 F150
Posted in a separate thread, but does anyone know what it would cost to have it added later? The exact truck i wanted just doesn’t have that option. Wondering if I can add it down the line
Ive heard of dealers adding them but not sure on cost.
Sponsored