Sponsored

slide in camper prep for powerboost

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
Thanks. I found CAT scales on the internet, just need to go find one around town. I plan to do very little additional weight, maybe 200-300 pounds max.
I'm not going to waste this opportunity, I am sorry...

But what if you need to get in there WITH your GF?
Sponsored

OP
OP
f150powerboost

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
That's a really light slide in! What did you get?

I considered a bunch of popup slide ins. I really wanted a Hawk from FWC, but the base weight is 1100lbs and probably would have wanted another 150lbs of options. With a family of 4, bikes, rack, and everything else I would have been way over the ~1800lbs payload.

Put a deposit on a FWC Project M topper instead since, although much more spartan, it's only ~500lbs and maybe I'll add ~200lbs to build out the bed with a kitchen etc.
I went with the FWC Raven, for the shorter bed, and just a shell model. I added a few options from there. Dry weight is supposedly 870lbs. Now that I see I might not need the camper batteries that might drop it more. As I said above I still have 3 more months before delivery. I saw the Project M but haven't looked closer. Technology is changing so fast I'm not sure that was even on their website when I ordered in March.

Last edited:
OP
OP
f150powerboost

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
I’ve got an order for a PB with the 7.2kw. Debating a light weight pop up camper. Found a few around the 1000 on mark. If it happens, I plan on getting airbags to help with squat, and changing all the heating and cooking to electric to save weight (no gas). I think it would be a pretty sweet setup.
My original plan was for the 7.2kw. Had one on order since July but they kept delaying it now into spring. I'll run with my 2.4kw for a couple years and see if the supply chain gets back to normal.

OP
OP
f150powerboost

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
Won't the camper block the bed outlets? I don't really camp with slide ins, so no experience. But that's what comes to my mind.

I suppose one can cut holes though.

I powered my house, all lights on, can't remember if i did washer and dryer, oven and all that (left AC off for this test). I basically turned on every light I could in the house. Every ceiling fan, the detached garage.

I have two fridges, one in house and garage, both on. Normal stuff. It's 3000 sq ft and I had TVs on, too. Bigger ones.

I didn't get close to maxing out. I imagine a smaller camper would be okay with 2.4kW, but 7.2 is where it's at.

Also, my pickup truck owner survey says 70% of people choose Die Hard, and only 30% to Lethal Weapon... when they had to choose only 1.
I don't know if the camper will block the outlets yet. I've been trying to figure that out since I bought this truck. Won't get the camper until February.

I do know the camper has a shore power plug on the exterior and the camper will have interior access doors to reach the 4 corner tie downs.

My hope is the access doors will be close enough to either run a extension cord or somehow find a way to do shore power to the in bed outlets. No idea yet.

Wow, the 7.2kw is incredible. Next truck will have it for sure. I can't imagine needing more than 2.4k for 2 people camping for a few days. Just need to keep it simple I guess.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Twg1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F150 Screw, 2019 Camaro ZLE
Occupation
Engineer
So, one more thought. May want to have a strategy to keep exhaust/CO out of the camper if using the PPOB for power. Perhaps a dryer hose or similar and an internal CO alarm.

OP
OP
f150powerboost

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
So, one more thought. May want to have a strategy to keep exhaust/CO out of the camper if using the PPOB for power. Perhaps a dryer hose or similar and an internal CO alarm.
Good plan. I'll make a note of it.

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
Good plan. I'll make a note of it.
FWC campers do come with a CO detector since most have a LP Propane system. Even the Project M comes with one one despite not having a LP Propane system.

I hadn't thought of using a dryer hose to reroute exhaust though.

veloverland

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2.7L XL Supercab
Occupation
Oil
In case folks are curious about lightweight campers that won't blow your load on PB's, check out GoFastCampers out of Belgrade, MT. All-American made, ~300lbs, wedge-pop camper that you can stand up in. Low-profile too, and cheaper than a FWC project M.

FWIW mine is a 2kw pro power Ecoboost with the GFC. I mostly use the extra watts for charging portable batteries while driving and for toasting bread. I used to carry a tea kettle, but honestly it's a bit of a hassle to walk to the drivers side, turn the truck on, flip the kettle or whatever other electric thing you have to run, and then turn the truck off. The remote start from the app is brutally unreliable for me, so I never use it.

Good luck with the rear suspension, and let us know if you've updated it. I am also puzzled about what exactly is best for mine after dealing with ~1" of squat fully loaded (loaded Decked system, GFC, water, gear). As of now, I'm slated to get airbags installed next week, but I would also consider new leafs, add-a-leafs, and reservoir shocks. I've heard airbags don't play so well with significant flex, in case you're really planning on pushing it offroad.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
In case folks are curious about lightweight campers that won't blow your load on PB's, check out GoFastCampers out of Belgrade, MT. All-American made, ~300lbs, wedge-pop camper that you can stand up in. Low-profile too, and cheaper than a FWC project M.

FWIW mine is a 2kw pro power Ecoboost with the GFC. I mostly use the extra watts for charging portable batteries while driving and for toasting bread. I used to carry a tea kettle, but honestly it's a bit of a hassle to walk to the drivers side, turn the truck on, flip the kettle or whatever other electric thing you have to run, and then turn the truck off. The remote start from the app is brutally unreliable for me, so I never use it.

Good luck with the rear suspension, and let us know if you've updated it. I am also puzzled about what exactly is best for mine after dealing with ~1" of squat fully loaded (loaded Decked system, GFC, water, gear). As of now, I'm slated to get airbags installed next week, but I would also consider new leafs, add-a-leafs, and reservoir shocks. I've heard airbags don't play so well with significant flex, in case you're really planning on pushing it offroad.
thanks for the info. I thought I’d have more payload, but clearly ticking all the options possible for my lariat trim, my 1393 payload means I’ll be rethinking this camper idea.

Sponsored

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost

Check out the Rapid Active Suspension (RAS) springs. I added them to my Powerboost right before getting the GFC installed and I’ve noticed almost no squat. I will be putting in a single Truckvault drawer this week so we’ll see how that impacts it but I’m not imagining much of a difference.

I had a RAM 1500 with a topper (not GFC) and the Decked drawer system with an aftermarket ADD rear bumper. Installed Airlift airbags and while happy with them I’m much happier with the RAS on the F150.

veloverland

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2.7L XL Supercab
Occupation
Oil
Check out the Rapid Active Suspension (RAS) springs. I added them to my Powerboost right before getting the GFC installed and I’ve noticed almost no squat. I will be putting in a single Truckvault drawer this week so we’ll see how that impacts it but I’m not imagining much of a difference.

I had a RAM 1500 with a topper (not GFC) and the Decked drawer system with an aftermarket ADD rear bumper. Installed Airlift airbags and while happy with them I’m much happier with the RAS on the F150.
Thanks @ryanc111 - I found these from a brand called Roadmaster - is that what you're referring to? Can you elaborate on why you're happier with the RAS than airbags? Is it ride feel, performance, peace of mind for maintenance / set and forget, or a combination?

Edit: also - if I noticed that with my load (which varies between 1000-1600 lbs depending on # of passengers and bikes) I still saw a little squat with the RAS, would I be able to install an add-a-leaf to get back to level or a bit of rake? I.e. is it compatible with add-a-leaf?

Edit edit: this guy didn't seem too pleased with his RAS and an 800lb load still got about 1" of squat. - see I just don't want that. If I were to add-a-leaf and then install the RAS I could be convinced but the performance benefit over bags would have to be considerable to justify the extra cost.

Last edited:

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA

I’m looking into either airlift bags or the RAS. Can you give some insight into why you like the RAS over bags?

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
I'm not going to waste this opportunity, I am sorry...

But what if you need to get in there WITH your GF?
...........it's quite obvious! You ask the wife to leave for a couple hours and give her credit card so she is happy. Plenty of room now......lol.....:rolleyes:

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
thanks for the info. I thought I’d have more payload, but clearly ticking all the options possible for my lariat trim, my 1393 payload means I’ll be rethinking this camper idea.
..........with these low payloads, no longer can you invite "hefty, well fed friends" to ride in truck. Need to look for new skinny friends to replace them. :LOL:
Sponsored