Sponsored

slide in camper prep for powerboost

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
Forgive me if this is the wrong topic but I'm starting to plan for a lightweight (870lbs dry) slide in camper for my 2021 Powerboost. Does anyone have experience with this?

I understand the payload rating of 2120 lbs is less relevant and the actual true payload is on the door sticker. For me 1538lbs. I've been told there is no reason to upgrade the suspension for this camper until after I have it on and see how it handles. I will of course upgrade to 10 ply tires beforehand.

What I'm curious about is if this Pro Power Onboard can serve as a source for the campers shore power as long as the usage is light? I have the 2.4k version.
Sponsored

Last edited:

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum or topic but I'm starting to plan for a lightweight (870lbs dry) slide in camper for my 2021 Powerboost. Does anyone have experience with this?

I understand the payload rating of 2120 lbs is less relevant and the actual true payload is on the door sticker. For me 1538lbs. I've been told there is no reason to upgrade the suspension for this camper until after I have it on and see how it handles. I will of course upgrade to 10 ply tires beforehand.

What I'm curious about is if this Pro Power Onboard can serve as a source for the campers shore power as long as the usage is light? I have the 2.4k version.
Weight should be fine if you don't put too much additional stuff onboard or liquids. CAT scales are your friend. Use them. As far as the 2.4kw PPO, it would be pretty close to a Honda 2k inverter geny. So you need to determine what the slide in camper requires for power. You may not be able to run the AC. Definitely get LT tires. I'm sure others will chime in.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
First, I wish you were $750 poorer. It would be PERFECT for anything and everything you could possibly need.

Second, although that's an amazing dry weight for a slide in, I still think the oem shocks on F150's are a poor fit for a loaded F150. They are decent for an empty test drive, but even for that they are numb and under damped. So I would do the tires AND some shocks. (Bilstein 5100 are very inexpensive and a considerable upgrade over oem.

And finally, I think with a slide in you will really appreciate the way a rear sway bar will make the truck NOT feel like weight is making the truck lean in a turn.

All 3 modifications are low hanging fruit with big roi.

Do you mind telling us what make/model? I love the idea of a Powerboost as the platform for a slide in. But there's so few choices that are light enough for a non-HDPP F150.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum or topic but I'm starting to plan for a lightweight (870lbs dry) slide in camper for my 2021 Powerboost. Does anyone have experience with this?

Depending on the age of your camper, you might be Ok with the 2.4kW. Worse case you need to get a soft start for it.

I have run the 15k BTU AC in my 2020 travel trailer on a 20A freezer outlet in a family member’s garage. I was pleasantly surprised at how low the startup current was - it is like it already has a soft start on the AC. Way lower current than our previous TT.

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum or topic but I'm starting to plan for a lightweight (870lbs dry) slide in camper for my 2021 Powerboost.
That's a really light slide in! What did you get?

I considered a bunch of popup slide ins. I really wanted a Hawk from FWC, but the base weight is 1100lbs and probably would have wanted another 150lbs of options. With a family of 4, bikes, rack, and everything else I would have been way over the ~1800lbs payload.

Put a deposit on a FWC Project M topper instead since, although much more spartan, it's only ~500lbs and maybe I'll add ~200lbs to build out the bed with a kitchen etc.

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
If you do any suspension upgrades, you want to do them after the slide in is installed so everything can be adjusted to the new weight.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
I just sold my life long slide-in friend when I tried to make it work in my PB. Center of Gravity way off even though the truck supposedly had the load carrying capacity.
Ford F-150 slide in camper prep for powerboost A4C546CF-C571-4C87-A42D-700D538225D0

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm just guessing, but that truck probably has ~1400-1500lbs Payload capacity.

Why do you think it supposedly had enough for that camper? Not to mention it does look like it's for a longer bed.

1/2 tons have a small selection of slide-in and 5th wheel campers that match up mathematically. (unless you have an HDPP package)

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I’ve got an order for a PB with the 7.2kw. Debating a light weight pop up camper. Found a few around the 1000 on mark. If it happens, I plan on getting airbags to help with squat, and changing all the heating and cooking to electric to save weight (no gas). I think it would be a pretty sweet setup.

Sponsored

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
Won't the camper block the bed outlets? I don't really camp with slide ins, so no experience. But that's what comes to my mind.

I suppose one can cut holes though.

I powered my house, all lights on, can't remember if i did washer and dryer, oven and all that (left AC off for this test). I basically turned on every light I could in the house. Every ceiling fan, the detached garage.

I have two fridges, one in house and garage, both on. Normal stuff. It's 3000 sq ft and I had TVs on, too. Bigger ones.

I didn't get close to maxing out. I imagine a smaller camper would be okay with 2.4kW, but 7.2 is where it's at.

Also, my pickup truck owner survey says 70% of people choose Die Hard, and only 30% to Lethal Weapon... when they had to choose only 1.

Ford F-150 slide in camper prep for powerboost Screenshot_20211027-102342_Gallery

Ford F-150 slide in camper prep for powerboost Screenshot_20211027-102528_Gallery

Ford F-150 slide in camper prep for powerboost Screenshot_20211027-102631_Gallery

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
It looks like that slide-in is for a 6.5' or 8' bed, not a 5.5'.
Just trying to illustrate “What not to do”. No way was I ever going to try and make this work. Camper fit nice in the 2018 F250 8 foot bed. Camper made by Travel lite and weighs 1150

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just trying to illustrate “What not to do”. No way was I ever going to try and make this work. Camper fit nice in the 2018 F250 8 foot bed. Camper made by Travel lite and weighs 1150
Ahhhh. OK, makes more sense now. :)

That camper WOULD work with an HDPP F150. But Ford won't let you have the Hybrid drivetrain in it, although you can get the 3.5 Ecoboost. And now they limit you to XLT trim. I think they unofficially want to discourage us from ordering one. Preferring us to step up to the F250.

With the HDPP F150, you would still have 1500lbs of Payload AFTER you slid that camper into the bed! (my apologies to those tired of seeing my brothers Payload sticker)

Ford F-150 slide in camper prep for powerboost maxpay1

OP
OP
f150powerboost

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
Weight should be fine if you don't put too much additional stuff onboard or liquids. CAT scales are your friend. Use them. As far as the 2.4kw PPO, it would be pretty close to a Honda 2k inverter geny. So you need to determine what the slide in camper requires for power. You may not be able to run the AC. Definitely get LT tires. I'm sure others will chime in.
Thanks. I found CAT scales on the internet, just need to go find one around town. I plan to do very little additional weight, maybe 200-300 pounds max.

I know there are a 100 different 10 ply tires so I'll need to find one thats better for highways and less for off road. Maybe 80% highways, 20% forestry dirt roads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
f150powerboost

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
First, I wish you were $750 poorer. It would be PERFECT for anything and everything you could possibly need.

Second, although that's an amazing dry weight for a slide in, I still think the oem shocks on F150's are a poor fit for a loaded F150. They are decent for an empty test drive, but even for that they are numb and under damped. So I would do the tires AND some shocks. (Bilstein 5100 are very inexpensive and a considerable upgrade over oem.

And finally, I think with a slide in you will really appreciate the way a rear sway bar will make the truck NOT feel like weight is making the truck lean in a turn.

All 3 modifications are low hanging fruit with big roi.

Do you mind telling us what make/model? I love the idea of a Powerboost as the platform for a slide in. But there's so few choices that are light enough for a non-HDPP F150.

Great advice. $750 poorer meaning I should've got the 7.2k Pro Power? I had it on order but after months and months of delays I finally found this truck on the lot and went with it.

I have 3 more months to prepare for this camper delivery. It's a new Four Wheel Camper, Raven shell model. Its about a one year build time so I've already been waiting since March. As I said its a shell model, so aside from a few necessities it's little more than a King size bed with a propane stove and a heater. I will build it out if I feel the need but I doubt it will be much.

I did not plan on owning a Powerboost when I placed the order in March. Having the option for this built in generator sold me. We will see how it goes.

Anyway, at this point the camper company is planning to install 4 in-bed eye bolts to secure the camper. It seems standard for them. I've read a little about the sway bars but I know little about them. I'll research more.

I've been told airbags, leaf springs, and/or upgraded bump stops should all be considered, but no one has mentioned shocks. That seems like an obvious option now. The other thing is something called Timbrens. I'm sure its well known, just not to me. Basically upgraded bump stops in lieu of airbags.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

Last edited: