slide in camper prep for powerboost

mj1angier

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Power Boost
Depending how much they let you customize it- get rid of the lead batteries and go with lithium batteries. You will save weight, again depth of usable power and life span. You might have to have them change the on board charger/ inverter to one rated for lithium battery ( might not, coming standard on many now).
Sponsored

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Thanks @ryanc111 - I found these from a brand called Roadmaster - is that what you're referring to? Can you elaborate on why you're happier with the RAS than airbags? Is it ride feel, performance, peace of mind for maintenance / set and forget, or a combination?

Edit: also - if I noticed that with my load (which varies between 1000-1600 lbs depending on # of passengers and bikes) I still saw a little squat with the RAS, would I be able to install an add-a-leaf to get back to level or a bit of rake? I.e. is it compatible with add-a-leaf?

Edit edit: this guy didn't seem too pleased with his RAS and an 800lb load still got about 1" of squat. - see I just don't want that. If I were to add-a-leaf and then install the RAS I could be convinced but the performance benefit over bags would have to be considerable to justify the extra cost.
Yep, that's the one. Two reasons I went with RAS over airbags. The first was cost - RAS was quite a bit cheaper (and simpler). The second was the biggest one though - while airbags might handle the heavier loads better they will ultimately restrict your suspension travel when off road (by design).

If you spend much time off road then I would recommend solutions other than airbags but if you are just looking to get rid of squat with heavy loads airbags will do that better. Regarding RAS and an add a leaf the answer is . . . maybe. ;) From what I could determine it was highly dependent on the specific add a leaf you use and how it installs. The team at RAS are super nice and helpful though - reach out with your specific questions and they can help.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Yep, that's the one. Two reasons I went with RAS over airbags. The first was cost - RAS was quite a bit cheaper (and simpler). The second was the biggest one though - while airbags might handle the heavier loads better they will ultimately restrict your suspension travel when off road (by design).

If you spend much time off road then I would recommend solutions other than airbags but if you are just looking to get rid of squat with heavy loads airbags will do that better. Regarding RAS and an add a leaf the answer is . . . maybe. ;) From what I could determine it was highly dependent on the specific add a leaf you use and how it installs. The team at RAS are super nice and helpful though - reach out with your specific questions and they can help.
There is a thread in the GFC forum that talks about airbags vs suspension upgrades for trucks with the GoFast that is worth checking out as well.

USAFordW1E

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum SC PowerBoost
Occupation
AFJROTC Aerospace Science Instructor
Don't know if it has been addressed, but there is an installation issue with Airlift PowerLift 5000 airbags on PowerBoosts. I have a phonecall scheduled with AirLift Jobber department and they are going to give me the full skinny on the issues. More to come on this topic. The initial report is that there is a clearance issue with the PB fuel tank and the airbags.

A few weeks ago, I ordered p/n 88355 as it was the kit listed for 2021 F150 4x4. After I received them, I went back to Airlift's website for some installation photos and they now have a subcategory on the 2021 only giving the NON PowerBoost option.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm not sure which brand of Airbags we put on our Powerboost in our corporate fleet, but it did get a Helwig rear sway, Bilsteins, Load E tires. We use it to tow an RV to remote airports to provide shelter for Aircraft technicians and power for tools and lights. Basically a rolling aircraft maintenance department.

Ford F-150 slide in camper prep for powerboost imagejpeg_0(12)

Ford F-150 slide in camper prep for powerboost Screenshot_20211124-102239_Gallery

Ford F-150 slide in camper prep for powerboost Resized_Resized_20211124_101013

Sponsored

OP
OP
f150powerboost

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
Now I'm being told I don't even need to upgrade the tires to 10 ply right away. So everything the camper dealer told me about prepping the truck is actually more about how it feels after I get it and see how it handles

Several tires places have told me the 4 ply OEM tires are rated more than enough along with the payload rating being more than enough. So hopefully the stock Powerboost will be enough to go get it and bring it back home and I can take it from there.

1538 payload rating, 870 dry weight camper with maybe 200 pounds of stuff so I'm not even at 70%.

Last edited:

hokieinidaho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 '04
On the '22s: HDPP Available on XL, XLT Base, and XLT Mid. Requires 5.0L V8 or 3.5L V6 EcoBoost gas engine. Max Trailer Tow Package (53C) required with 3.5L V6 EcoBoost or 5.0L engine

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...-guides/2022_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

pg 13

Ahhhh. OK, makes more sense now. :)

That camper WOULD work with an HDPP F150. But Ford won't let you have the Hybrid drivetrain in it, although you can get the 3.5 Ecoboost. And now they limit you to XLT trim. I think they unofficially want to discourage us from ordering one. Preferring us to step up to the F250.

With the HDPP F150, you would still have 1500lbs of Payload AFTER you slid that camper into the bed! (my apologies to those tired of seeing my brothers Payload sticker)

maxpay1.jpg

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost