Skid plate and fiber board

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I have been following a few threads discussing skid plates on 2021+ PBs. One item that was mentioned was the exist fiber “plate” may be there to prevent heat from the cats starting fires beneath the truck. That got me thinking about heat reflecting off of an aluminum skid plate (from the cats) onto the plastic transmission pan. This would not happen with the fiber one. Is this a plausible concern?

I may be over thinking this. :).
Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I hope not. I just ordered an aluminum skit plate to cover the cats so they can't get stolen... it is vented though. Also aluminum is a great transferrer of heat so while moving it could act like a heatsink of sorts (I know it's not a heatsink as there is no direct contact)

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I hope not. I just ordered an aluminum skit plate to cover the cats so they can't get stolen... it is vented though. Also aluminum is a great transferrer of heat so while moving it could act like a heatsink of sorts (I know it's not a heatsink as there is no direct contact)
Who did you order from?

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
HA! We emailed back and forth a number of months ago about this. I did not want the brackets and I wanted a one piece. He was going to work on it if he could find a PB to get measurements. I was going to check it out again once I pick up my truck. I am going to order one too right after I get the undercoating done.

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
HA! We emailed back and forth a number of months ago about this. I did not want the brackets and I wanted a one piece. He was going to work on it if he could find a PB to get measurements. I was going to check it out again once I pick up my truck. I am going to order one too right after I get the undercoating done.
I got the one piece. I think they are just keeping the orders low until they have a better idea of fitment. I would contact them as you can't order from their site.

I also asked if it worked with their other skid plates though and they said not right now (thought they appear to have a picture of a "package" on the product page)

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I got the one piece. I think they are just keeping the orders low until they have a better idea of fitment. I would contact them as you can't order from their site.

I also asked if it worked with their other skid plates though and they said not right now (thought they appear to have a picture of a "package" on the product page)
Best of luck with it Frank and please let us know how it works out. That one piece is the way to go.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum

Does this PB one-piece skid plate work with the FX4 skid plates without interference or issues? The picture on the website appears to be a non-FX4 (i.e. no front skid plate).

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Does this PB one-piece skid plate work with the FX4 skid plates without interference or issues? The picture on the website appears to be a non-FX4 (i.e. no front skid plate).
Here's hoping. I'll let you know when I get mine and install it...lol

I didn't even think to ask.

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
I have the original non-powerboost plate with PB brackets, new in box sitting in my garage if someone in oregon is looking.

Shortly after I received it I checked back to see if the front skids were in stock and saw the new PB specific plates.. I emailed a few times over the next month or so and finally got a response; they won't take it back:

We still think it is going to be several more weeks before we get the Powerboost plates out to sell. That being said we generally do not do exchanges. We are currently planning on selling out of current inventory and are going to transition over to a new style plate. I feel that if I was to allow you to exchange the plate, I would have to allow everyone, and that would essentially bankrupt our small operation. Shaun

..I was still debating about waiting for the new one, or just install the one I have, but if someone nearby is looking buy a non-PB one, let me know

Sponsored

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I have been following a few threads discussing skid plates on 2021+ PBs. One item that was mentioned was the exist fiber “plate” may be there to prevent heat from the cats starting fires beneath the truck. That got me thinking about heat reflecting off of an aluminum skid plate (from the cats) onto the plastic transmission pan. This would not happen with the fiber one. Is this a plausible concern?

I may be over thinking this. :).
I've been running a one piece trans skid plate for about 8000 miles now. I've made long trips, run offroad and hauled a trailer. I haven't had any overheating issues. Here is a link to my thread on the skid plate I had made for my PB.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/pb-aluminum-transmission-skid-plate.8140/#post-156559

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I've been running a one piece trans skid plate for about 8000 miles now. I've made long trips, run offroad and hauled a trailer. I haven't had any overheating issues. Here is a link to my thread on the skid plate I had made for my PB.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/pb-aluminum-transmission-skid-plate.8140/#post-156559
I wasn’t thinking of an over-heat issue but if the plastic tranny pan could be damaged by repeated exposure to the reflected heat off of the skid plate.

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I wasn’t thinking of an over-heat issue but if the plastic tranny pan could be damaged by repeated exposure to the reflected heat off of the skid plate.
My dealer checks everything when in for service including the transmission. I've had two services since the install. No issues with the oil pan. The reason I put the skid plate on is I had an oil pan crack last year when a stick kicked up off of the tire and hit it through the fiber plate. Not a good experience being stranded off road due to loss of trans oil.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
The Tremor and Raptor get a steel plate in place of the fiber cover we get, so Ford doesn't think there's a problem. Aluminum would bleed off any radiant heat better to the air passing underneath.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Got the notice today that it's shipped. Should be here Friday :) If I get it installed this weekend I'll report back.
Sponsored