Sponsored

SiriusXM and B&O Unleashed sound quality

RamblinMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
There has been other posts about the sound quality of the B&O Unleashed system. It seems to be a love/hate type of thing. I am one of the people that is very disappointed with the sound. Thus far I’ve only listened to SiriusXM in the truck, no other music sources. It seems the sound is only coming through the center speaker in the dashboard. As a test my wife connected to the stereo via Apple CarPlay and used the SiriusXM app. It sounded great! I could hear sound from all of the speakers. When we stopped using CarPlay and used SiriusXM in the truck again is sounded like garbage even playing the exact same station. As previously mentioned, it seems that all the sound is only coming through the center speaker. I know the quick fix is to just use SiriusXM on my phone but that’s not an option since I’m on a shared family data plan and can’t be using data every time I’m in the truck. Is there a setting for SiriusXM that could possibly fix this? Has anyone else experienced this?

It seems very strange that the sound quality is so different for the exact same SiriusXM station depending on the source (truck or Apple CarPlay)
Sponsored

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
There has been other posts about the sound quality of the B&O Unleashed system. It seems to be a love/hate type of thing. I am one of the people that is very disappointed with the sound. Thus far I’ve only listened to SiriusXM in the truck, no other music sources. It seems the sound is only coming through the center speaker in the dashboard. As a test my wife connected to the stereo via Apple CarPlay and used the SiriusXM app. It sounded great! I could hear sound from all of the speakers. When we stopped using CarPlay and used SiriusXM in the truck again is sounded like garbage even playing the exact same station. As previously mentioned, it seems that all the sound is only coming through the center speaker. I know the quick fix is to just use SiriusXM on my phone but that’s not an option since I’m on a shared family data plan and can’t be using data every time I’m in the truck. Is there a setting for SiriusXM that could possibly fix this? Has anyone else experienced this?

It seems very strange that the sound quality is so different for the exact same SiriusXM station depending on the source (truck or Apple CarPlay)
SiriusXM compresses their audio, so it will rarely sound as good as most anything you stream.

OP
OP

RamblinMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
SiriusXM compresses their audio, so it will rarely sound as good as most anything you stream.
Understood but there is something else causing this. My wife's 7 year old Acura has SiriusXM and it sounds WAY better than my F150. She just plays SiriusXM through the stock radio. It's frustrating because I've heard the capability of the B&O system via CarPlay. It should sound a lot better using SiriusXM in the Sync4 system. Also, why the sound is mainly only in the center dashboard spreaker is beyond me. It's why I asked if there is a setting somewhere (besides fade).

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
Understood but there is something else causing this. My wife's 7 year old Acura has SiriusXM and it sounds WAY better than my '21 F150. She just plays SiriusXM through the stock radio. It's frustrating because I've heard the capability of the B&O system via CarPlay. It should sound a lot better using SiriusXM in the Sync4 system. Also, why the sound is mainly only in the center dashboard spreaker is beyond me. It's why I asked if there is a setting somewhere (besides fade).
I agree, it should sound a lot better for the price. The equalizer controls are seriously lacking. My '17 Explorer Sport had better sound and equalizer controls with the factory Sony system than my F150. I can only guess that your wife's Acura has a better amplifier to compensate for the low bitrate Sirius transmits.

I only have the regular B&O system, not the Unleashed. However, I definitely can hear a difference between Sirius and streaming via Bluetooth from my Android on YouTube Music and Amazon Prime Music, which both sound noticably better than SiriusXM. I haven't even tried FM or HD radio yet.

I wish I could suggest a solution instead of observations.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I have never been happy with the sound quality of SiriusXM. Maybe my ears are just sensitive to the compression but to me it sounds like everything is underwater, even in my Wifes Acura.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

I know what you mean, that center dash speaker absolutely dominates the mids. I had to fade 1-2 ticks to the back, it is the only thing I could do other than slide the mid slider down more.

Do you apply an EQ via your phone? I pre equalize on my phone when it is the source, so any phone source sounds better than FM or Sirius. I wish we could apply EQ per source (or even treble/mid/bass per source). When I crank things I am solo in the car and always use my phone (YT music, Sirius, Alexa) as source, but when family is in the car that's when I use Sirius and the sound quality isn't as important.

If anyone discovers a "developer settings" or some sort of hidden advanced menu for tweaking the B&O unleashed please share! Less center-dash dominance would be nice

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White
I listen mainly to my phone and will probably let Sirius expire, but I felt the same thing about the center front speaker dominating until I moved the fade from between the front seats to just behind the front seats. That seems to open up the speakers above and behind me for a much fuller sound. Since you are happy with your phone sound and not Sirius, this may not help you, but it was an "Ah ha" moment for me about a week into the new truck and my opinion of B&O Unleashed system has gone way up.

wayne

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 platinum loaded, 2013 raptor
start complaints to ford. That is the only way to get their attention. For the amount of money you spend on that system it should be much better. Once enough complaints are issued they will do something about it. My Sync 2 by microsoft was junk for the navigation. we got enough people complaining they finally got another better system installed

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I agree, it should sound a lot better for the price. The equalizer controls are seriously lacking. My '17 Explorer Sport had better sound and equalizer controls with the factory Sony system than my F150. I can only guess that your wife's Acura has a better amplifier to compensate for the low bitrate Sirius transmits.

I only have the regular B&O system, not the Unleashed. However, I definitely can hear a difference between Sirius and streaming via Bluetooth from my Android on YouTube Music and Amazon Prime Music, which both sound noticably better than SiriusXM. I haven't even tried FM or HD radio yet.

I wish I could suggest a solution instead of observations.
I hope you have tried HD Radio, it's awesome..
I am canceling Sirius Radio tomorrow.
Ridiculous to pay for radio that sounds as bad as it is..
Anyone reading this should never judge B & O Unleashed by what you hear from Sirius..
It should be embarrassing to provide a paid service for such poor quality of audio.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch

I've only heard it through the truck, sounds horrible..
Will cancel Sirius tomorrow.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I listen mainly to my phone and will probably let Sirius expire, but I felt the same thing about the center front speaker dominating until I moved the fade from between the front seats to just behind the front seats. That seems to open up the speakers above and behind me for a much fuller sound. Since you are happy with your phone sound and not Sirius, this may not help you, but it was an "Ah ha" moment for me about a week into the new truck and my opinion of B&O Unleashed system has gone way up.
My settings are 2 clicks to the rear and one click to the right/passenger side.
To me from the driver's seat it sounds very balanced. Sounds awesome..
Even at that Sirius sounds horrible..
Sponsored