First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Do you recommend adding air bags for towing? I'm thinking being able to make slight level adjustments with tongue weight and/or payload changes might just be the ticket.

I'll be using a WD/AS hitch for dialing in the setup.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If a WDH isn't involved, I think Airbags are the cat's meow for managing weight distribution.
Especially if the heavy loads are truck-bed oriented.

I used them when I was carrying 1200#'s in the bed. A perfect solution to get that weight back on the front axle, which makes a huge impact on the driver's comfort.

Ford F-150 Silly question...how long is the bed? WP_20130709_002

I still think Airbags are a great solution when a WDH is involved, but only for those who truly understand their WDH and know how to strike the proper balance of using 2 overlapping methods of accomplishing similar burdens.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I still think Airbags are a great solution when a WDH is involved, but only for those who truly understand their WDH and know how to strike the proper balance of using 2 overlapping methods of accomplishing similar burdens.
That's something I'm learning and will take the time to understand properly once I purchase the trailer. We're making some fun upgrades to our home/property first like making a place for the RV with 30A service and a waste dump tie in to our PVC sewer line etc. I want to just walk outside and spend time cleaning, upgrading and tinkering with our mobile luxury apartment. :)

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
If you have to add air bags, heavier springs or shocks, you have a smaller truck than you need...

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If you have to add air bags, heavier springs or shocks, you have a smaller truck than you need...
So are you saying that the manufacturers equip 1/2 ton trucks with shocks and springs that are aimed at carrying their maximum Payload rating, rather than aimed at a comfortable ride at no or low loads?

There's so much improvement potential for 1/2 ton trucks that are going to be used carrying their rated Payload. I agree that legally those improvements do not increase the Payload capacity, but they definitely improve the trucks ability to operate at the heavy end of that capacity with additional composure.

Just my experience with towing, within the factory specs, with a 1/2 ton truck.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I don't have to have airbags for what I plan to tow. I plan on towing distances with a travel trailer and they will allow me to make small changes to keep the vehicle right where it should be. Just because a truck squats a little doesn't mean you have the wrong truck imo.

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
I don't have to have airbags for what I plan to tow. I plan on towing distances with a travel trailer and they will allow me to make small changes to keep the vehicle right where it should be. Just because a truck squats a little doesn't mean you have the wrong truck imo.
I would agree with that, and go on to say if the truck is really squatting, the truck is either grossly overloaded, or the trailer is way too tongue heavy and your trailer is just poorly designed or not loaded properly.

I say poorly designed because my brother has a custom travel trailer that has a storage deck at the front. The result is that when that space is utilized to any real extent, the trailer is extremely tongue heavy. I say this is a poor design because they could have fixed this by moving the axles a couple feet fore to fix the balance.

The trailer is (was) an absolute nightmare to tow, and IMHO dangerous. He got airbags, beefier sway bars and a load balancing hitch to make it usable. Even though the trailer is within the technical weight limits of what the F150 can tow, honestly he probably should be using an F250.

This is just one example of weekend warriors I see out there all the time at the campgrounds, boat ramps, and on the roads towing and hauling way too much for a half ton.

Just because these trucks have around 400 horsepower doesn't mean the rest of the truck subsystems are capable. Remember, you have to be able to stop, and keep it inbetween the lanes...

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I would agree with that, and go on to say if the truck is really squatting, the truck is either grossly overloaded, or the trailer is way too tongue heavy and your trailer is just poorly designed or not loaded properly.

I say poorly designed because my brother has a custom travel trailer that has a storage deck at the front. The result is that when that space is utilized to any real extent, the trailer is extremely tongue heavy. I say this is a poor design because they could have fixed this by moving the axles a couple feet fore to fix the balance.

The trailer is (was) an absolute nightmare to tow, and IMHO dangerous. He got airbags, beefier sway bars and a load balancing hitch to make it usable. Even though the trailer is within the technical weight limits of what the F150 can tow, honestly he probably should be using an F250.

This is just one example of weekend warriors I see out there all the time at the campgrounds, boat ramps, and on the roads towing and hauling way too much for a half ton.

Just because these trucks have around 400 horsepower doesn't mean the rest of the truck subsystems are capable. Remember, you have to be able to stop, and keep it inbetween the lanes...
My 2021 Powerboost has been overweight without squatting. I can't even imagine how overweight it would be if it actually squatted.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Seems to me that if you have your WDH properly sized and configured, you probably won't need the airbags. I can see the value of being able to further adjust if your trailer is, for example, a toy-hauler where the same trailer could have significantly different tongue weight depending upon what you have loaded in the "garage". But for a typical travel trailer, the weight is pretty stable. Your tongue weight might vary by 50lbs or so, usually the result of changing volumes of fluids in your tanks. For that small amount weight fluctuation, your vehicle balance will be only slightly out of alignment, so airbags don't seem to be worth the cost (in terms of dollars or payload), at least to me. But in situations where WDHs don't work (like heavy loads in the bed), airbags can make a huge difference.

I would recommend dialing in the WDH first and see how shifting weights around affect the truck. If it really does adjust significantly, then it would be easy enough to add airbags at that point.

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
My 2021 Powerboost has been overweight without squatting. I can't even imagine how overweight it would be if it actually squatted.
That's really my point... with 2004+ trucks, these things are absolute tanks for half tons. Especially compared to the '97-2003 generation. But even the 1980 to 1996.

If it's squatting, it's grossly overloaded or has an unbalanced trailer (for whatever reason) that is really tongue heavy.

That's when I see a truck like this, I like to get around them as fast as I can

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Seems to me that if you have your WDH properly sized and configured, you probably won't need the airbags. I can see the value of being able to further adjust if your trailer is, for example, a toy-hauler where the same trailer could have significantly different tongue weight depending upon what you have loaded in the "garage". But for a typical travel trailer, the weight is pretty stable. Your tongue weight might vary by 50lbs or so, usually the result of changing volumes of fluids in your tanks. For that small amount weight fluctuation, your vehicle balance will be only slightly out of alignment, so airbags don't seem to be worth the cost (in terms of dollars or payload), at least to me. But in situations where WDHs don't work (like heavy loads in the bed), airbags can make a huge difference.

I would recommend dialing in the WDH first and see how shifting weights around affect the truck. If it really does adjust significantly, then it would be easy enough to add airbags at that point.
Good points. Most of the brands:
https://www.etrailer.com/p-AL47PD.html?hhyear=2022&hhmake=Ford&hhmodel=F-150
Are 5000lb rated as well. 2000lb would be more ideal for a half ton. The payload hit is around 50lb. I'm guessing? Remove bump stops and add air bags plus hardware etc. I don't have the camper yet. My brain is just racing out ahead looking for solutions to problems that may or may not ever present themselves lol. Step one: Awesome tow vehicle. Check. Step two: Place to park the camper. Check. Step three: Save up money after step one and two ;)

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Good points. Most of the brands:
https://www.etrailer.com/p-AL47PD.html?hhyear=2022&hhmake=Ford&hhmodel=F-150
Are 5000lb rated as well. 2000lb would be more ideal for a half ton. The payload hit is around 50lb. I'm guessing? Remove bump stops and add air bags plus hardware etc. I don't have the camper yet. My brain is just racing out ahead looking for solutions to problems that may or may not ever present themselves lol. Step one: Awesome tow vehicle. Check. Step two: Place to park the camper. Check. Step three: Save up money after step one and two ;)
A 50 lb hit to payload is significant for most powerboosts. :)

Honestly, the airbags are mostly duplicating the part of the WDH's job, so you won't really get full value out of the airbags if you already have a decent WDH. You might adjust the level of the truck by another 1/2" or so, if that. It probably wouldn't even be noticeable if you didn't measure it.

Of course, that's assuming that you have a properly sized WDH tailored to your trailer load. If you get a generic WDH that's undersized for your specific trailer, then the airbags might make more of a difference. I'm partial to the Blue Ox SwayPro WDH myself, because it's quieter than most other WDHs out there. Another side-benefit of that WDH is that you can buy different size spring bars to help you dial in your hitch to your specific needs.

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
Touché

I admit a 3 point turnaround is more like 7

But dang it rides nice
I find a regular cab will do a one point turn if you stop- crank the wheel, floor it and it will spin right around even leaving black marks marking your territory. :)
Sponsored