SHUT DOWN SAFELY FAULT!!

Dmusick757

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 powerboost xl
2021 powerboost 21k miles. So I backed out of the d/w and the engine was running rough like it was going to shut down. I put it in drive and the fault popped up and the battery light came on. So I shut it down hoping to clear the fault well it came back up again and I couldn't move the truck. No neutral nothing stuck! So sitting in the middle of the road I pulled the battery terminals off and let it sit for 10mins. I put them back on and got it back in the d/w called ford and the came and got it. Anyone had this happen?? If so what was the outcome?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm not sure ALL the things that can set that off but one that for SURE will is a Hybrid Battery SOC below the expected threshold.

It can happen for various reasons, I suppose, but a truck that is caught in a parasitic draw on the 12V system can trigger it because the Hybrid battery is the "alternator", so to speak and can be drawn down if the ICE isn't available to charge it back up.

It's too late since you have already had it towed, but you might have been able to rescue it from itself :) by leaving it in Park and running. And there's a good chance that your 12V battery(s) aren't fully charged either.

Had the truck sat for a few days by chance?
Or does FordPass show any update attempts recently?

OP
OP
Dmusick757

Dmusick757

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 powerboost xl
I'm not sure ALL the things that can set that off but one that for SURE will is a Hybrid Battery SOC below the expected threshold.

It can happen for various reasons, I suppose, but a truck that is caught in a parasitic draw on the 12V system can trigger it because the Hybrid battery is the "alternator", so to speak and can be drawn down if the ICE isn't available to charge it back up.

It's too late since you have already had it towed, but you might have been able to rescue it from itself :) by leaving it in Park and running. And there's a good chance that your 12V battery(s) aren't fully charged either.

I drove it a good bit this weekend. And as far as the updates it looks like Sept. 30th was the last one. I did remote start it so I don't know if that had something to do with draining it. I had a 2017 lariat 3.5 and it did some funky shit one morning after remote starting it. Battery pull fixed the problem. I agree with I probably could've corrected it but I was playing it safe I didnt want to be stuck on the side of the road woth my 8 month old grandson you know. Thank u for the reply

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT

So the PB does not have a traditional alternator then? I never bothered to poke my head down in there and see.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
So the PB does not have a traditional alternator then? I never bothered to poke my head down in there and see.
It does not. It uses a DC/DC converter to keep the 12V battery(s) charged.
If you are monitoring the 12V battery state of charge, similar to a truck with an alternator, as soon as you start the truck you will see ~14V. But then you realize UNLIKE a traditional truck, the engine isn't even running! Yet it's charging the 12V system.

Truck is amazing in so many ways.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Interesting. Good thing to know. It makes perfect sense when you think about it. I mean it's got a DC motor/generator bolted to the engine so other than redundancy, why put an additional belt driven alternator on it.

I only ever monitored the hybrid battery charge levels and amperes with the Car Scanner Pro app. Never thought to check the 12v battery input voltage as well.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
It does not. It uses a DC/DC converter to keep the 12V battery(s) charged.
If you are monitoring the 12V battery state of charge, similar to a truck with an alternator, as soon as you start the truck you will see ~14V. But then you realize UNLIKE a traditional truck, the engine isn't even running! Yet it's charging the 12V system.

Truck is amazing in so many ways.
Well this is great information. I will make sure to leave the engine running when the batteries are charging. Didn't really care before but it may save me trouble in the future :)

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Well this is great information. I will make sure to leave the engine running when the batteries are charging. Didn't really care before but it may save me trouble in the future :)
It also completely changes things when adjusting the 12v battery state of charge setting with Forscan. Default SOC is 80% and increasing to 95% resolves many of the truck entering Deep Sleep issues when parked for 2-3 days. With this letting the truck eco idle for a bit should now easily bring the 12v primary battery to the new SOC level since it will properly charge the 12v batteries. Unlike alternators that tent to struggle to produce adequate charging at idle. With those you really needed to drive them for a few miles to bring the battery back to full charge.
Sponsored