shudder/grind noise/rumble strip noise

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
This sounds like the EIWE issue that is pretty well documented as usually happening in the cold. For some reason, Ford engineering thought the front diff needed some warming up when it's below like 35 degrees. This means the front hubs are temporarily locked for a few miles. I noticed they make a grinding noise for a few seconds when they try to disengage. I think this is from cold grease making the transition less than clean. Ford might need to figure on a TSB for thinner grease at a minimum if not a slight redesign to make the EIWE actuator a bit more positive.

While it's warm out, it's easy to let this issue fade to the background. Hopefully this sticks in the front of the list so we don't have to keep refiguring it out every winter.
Sponsored

baggs32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 502A Antimatter Blue
Something similar to this happened to me on three different occasions last year and after the second one I got a message in FordPass that there was an enging misfire with a code. The dealer took it in while we went on vacation one week and determined cylinder 3 was misfiring and replaced the coil pack. It's been fine ever since.

The sensation was like driving over rumble strips when accelerating at back road speeds and I did get warning lights on 2 of the occasions. Those lights went away quickly after the rumbling stopped though. My truck is '21 Lariat with the 3.5 EB.

CarbonizedRCSB

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L RCSB Carbonized Gray
I have the same issue with my 21, good luck trying to find a service department or mechanic that actually cares to figure it out.
Sponsored