Shudder acceleration uphill 2021 Supercab 2.7

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
There are multiple potential causes for "shudder" on these trucks, so not everyone is experiencing the same exact scenario. However, I've now had 2 different Gen14 Powerboost trucks with the 10r80 transmission and neither experienced what I see reported on the threads.

That at least IMPLIES that your truck shouldn't be "shuddering" in the described scenario. Ford can say that they have a solution forthcoming, but that implies that it would be a software solution?

My own personal opinion is that there is a significant variance between these trucks. Or put another way, if there were 10 identical trucks on the dealership lot, you might be surprised at just how different one or two might behave compared to the others.

I don't know what the percentage of trucks it is that suffer considerable shudder, but I have a suspicion that some component is operating outside the intended parameters. A torque converter might be a good example, but only a guess.
I have to assume it’s not the transmission, it’s in the engine. The reason I say this is, as you know as someone watches their truck pretty hard, when climbing a steady grade the Powerboost initially uses electric torque to assist. If the battery runs down, the turbos step in. Once the turbos get over 2-3 psi, the shudder starts. If you force it to downshift a gear or two, it’ll stop shuddering. The torque demand hasn’t changed, only the source of the torque. If it was in the trans, I think it’d shudder regardless.

With that said - I think those who use less cruise control won’t notice it near as much, as the truck is much more eager to downshift when driving with your foot. My truck will build 10-15 lbs of boost in 10th on cruise control

maxinike

First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 powerboost, ranger 2020 and lawn tractor
Look for 22-2224. To reprog pcm and all others powertrain modules if its a powerboost

Sponsored

maxinike

First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 powerboost, ranger 2020 and lawn tractor
For all ecoboost engine built on or before may 12 2022

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have to assume it’s not the transmission, it’s in the engine. The reason I say this is, as you know as someone watches their truck pretty hard, when climbing a steady grade the Powerboost initially uses electric torque to assist. If the battery runs down, the turbos step in. Once the turbos get over 2-3 psi, the shudder starts. If you force it to downshift a gear or two, it’ll stop shuddering. The torque demand hasn’t changed, only the source of the torque. If it was in the trans, I think it’d shudder regardless.

With that said - I think those who use less cruise control won’t notice it near as much, as the truck is much more eager to downshift when driving with your foot. My truck will build 10-15 lbs of boost in 10th on cruise control
You could be absolutely right in regards to why my truck(s) don't shudder. I do watch a few pids incessantly and I intentionally override the oem shift strategy. Simply put, I avoid extreme low RPM cruising. "Extreme" being subjective, of course. For me personally, extreme is when the knock sensors kick in and start pulling timing. :)

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Reached out to my dealer. He was unable to send me a pic but stated:

“TSB 22-2224: Certain 2021-2022 Ford F-150 vehicles equipped with the 2.7L, 3.5L, or Powerboost hybrid engine built on or before May 12, 2022 May exhibit a shudder at highway speeds under load. This is due to programming parameters in the PCM. To correct the concern, follow the procedure below to update the PCM to the most recent software version”

Gibson22F150

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport
Occupation
Transmission Shop Owner
Look for 22-2224. To reprog pcm and all others powertrain modules if its a powerboost
I have had that TSB performed and it did not resolve the issue.

Sponsored

Ifl3

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150,2015 escape
I just had this diagnosed as a bad torque converter,parts on order

Ifl3

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150,2015 escape
Waiting for the solenoid,should be in soon,I will keep you posted.I also had the tsb update which changed nothing

Last edited:

Ifl3

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150,2015 escape
After getting a new torque converter,valve body,truck still shudders,very dissapointed with this truck.
Sponsored