First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercab Sport
Occupation
Operations Manager
I thought I'd post again. had a loud groan at steady speed which was fixed by dealer. They "neutralized" the exhaust. Groan is much quieter. However, I have a shudder when accelerating or going uphill. It is very noticeable of the freeway. I've tried premium gas. Dealer says I do not have a misfire and they couldnt replicate, but its very noticeable. Anyone have thought? I've read a ton. Can't afford to leave truck at the moment. I'd like to rule out engine and am thinking torque converter in trans?
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercab Sport
Occupation
Operations Manager
Nevermind. I found a good recent thread on this. I'm assuming anyone with this issue has not received a permanent solution. Good luck everyone.

OP
OP
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercab Sport
Occupation
Operations Manager
I am so frustrated with this truck. I can feel a rotational vibration or hinderance. The engine groan is loud under any load, such as going uphill. I have a shudder under acceleration. The most perplexing thing is the loud engine groan at higher gears when cruising on the freeway. I live with it. No warning lights, and it has been looked at. There was an exhaust adjustment that slightly quieted things, but the groan is back. It is most significant between 60 and 70 where I do most of my driving.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I am so frustrated with this truck. I can feel a rotational vibration or hinderance. The engine groan is loud under any load, such as going uphill. I have a shudder under acceleration. The most perplexing thing is the loud engine groan at higher gears when cruising on the freeway. I live with it. No warning lights, and it has been looked at. There was an exhaust adjustment that slightly quieted things, but the groan is back. It is most significant between 60 and 70 where I do most of my driving.
Hello. This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd like to see how I can assist you on my end.

OP
OP
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercab Sport
Occupation
Operations Manager
Thank you. I have a case number. The agent doesn't return my correspondence. This problem I have narrowed down to load at roughly 1500 RPM in the higher gear range. When going uphill, the trans is reluctant to shift, holds 10th, and then bucks and jerks and vibrates like crazy to maintain speed. Predominant on the freeway at 60 to 70. The engine is so very loud too. It groans and sounds very labored. I hate driving this vehicle.

Sponsored

artificial_airspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost Lariat 2WD
I thought I'd post again. had a loud groan at steady speed which was fixed by dealer. They "neutralized" the exhaust. Groan is much quieter. However, I have a shudder when accelerating or going uphill. It is very noticeable of the freeway. I've tried premium gas. Dealer says I do not have a misfire and they couldnt replicate, but its very noticeable. Anyone have thought? I've read a ton. Can't afford to leave truck at the moment. I'd like to rule out engine and am thinking torque converter in trans?
Howdy , I think what you're feeling is the torque converter lockup process. During a period of high engine load (e.g. uphill driving), the torque converter disengages the lockup to reduce engine load. Once the engine is not under load anymore (e.g. normal cruising), the lockup will engage again for fuel effeciency and power delivery. Just my take on what you're describing. I have a 2021 Lariat FX4 2.7 and feel the same shudder/judder during a high engine load scenario.

maxinike

First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 powerboost, ranger 2020 and lawn tractor
ford is working on an issue for engine vibration in around 7-10 gear caused by fuel trim issue. update should be available soon

wilmaj32

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 GT500, 21 Powerboost Lariat , 12 Expedition
Occupation
Retired
ford is working on an issue for engine vibration in around 7-10 gear caused by fuel trim issue. update should be available soon
Where did you hear this?

maxinike

First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Working in the business…

wilmaj32

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Working in the business…
Do you have any other information on this that I could provide to my dealer? My truck has been in 3 times for this issue and they are dumbfounded. Maybe if I can point them in the right direction I can get it documented at least for future reference.
Thanks

Sponsored

maxinike

First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
the update is not out yet and the dealer should do nothing until the update is available. he will be informed when available. The issue im talking about is a vibration when tip in throttle on high gear. at around 60 mph more obvious with a trailer or under load. No dtc

wilmaj32

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
the update is not out yet and the dealer should do nothing until the update is available. he will be informed when available. The issue im talking about is a vibration when tip in throttle on high gear. at around 60 mph more obvious with a trailer or under load. No dtc
Yep, Thats the one I'm dealing with.

maxinike

First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tsb is out . Go see your dealer for the update

F150 John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Can I get the update through FDRS?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
There are multiple potential causes for "shudder" on these trucks, so not everyone is experiencing the same exact scenario. However, I've now had 2 different Gen14 Powerboost trucks with the 10r80 transmission and neither experienced what I see reported on the threads.

That at least IMPLIES that your truck shouldn't be "shuddering" in the described scenario. Ford can say that they have a solution forthcoming, but that implies that it would be a software solution?

My own personal opinion is that there is a significant variance between these trucks. Or put another way, if there were 10 identical trucks on the dealership lot, you might be surprised at just how different one or two might behave compared to the others.

I don't know what the percentage of trucks it is that suffer considerable shudder, but I have a suspicion that some component is operating outside the intended parameters. A torque converter might be a good example, but only a guess.
Sponsored