First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150
Occupation
Sales
Hi everyone, I have a 2015 xlt that I'm looking to trade in on a antimatter blue platinum fx4 powerboost.

I've been reading about some issues, also I was told to never buy the first model year refresh. I contemplating ordering but have my doubts.

How have your experiences been?
Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Hi everyone, I have a 2015 xlt that I'm looking to trade in on a antimatter blue platinum fx4 powerboost.

I've been reading about some issues, also I was told to never buy the first model year refresh. I contemplating ordering but have my doubts.

If there’s nothing wrong with your current truck I would definitely wait it out. Spend some time on this forum and you will see why.
I’ve seen a few stories about people having several first year models without having any problems. I think those people are lying sacks of (expletive).

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I have had my 2021 302A XLT for 3+ months now. I’ve had my battery die twice and last time it happened they replaced my battery which was back on 2/17. So far, so good.

Other than that my truck has been perfect so far. I am really enjoying it and it is definitely the best F-150 I’ve ever owned.

That being said, I’d wait for the 22 MY. Not only is there the chance that your order will be pushed out, but they should have all the kinks worked out with the 2022.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
I have had my 2021 302A XLT for 3+ months now. I’ve had my battery die twice and last time it happened they replaced my battery which was back on 2/17. So far, so good.

Other than that my truck has been perfect so far. I am really enjoying it and it is definitely the best F-150 I’ve ever owned.

That being said, I’d wait for the 22 MY. Not only is there the chance that your order will be pushed out, but they should have all the kinks worked out with the 2022.
Curious when the 2022 models will be released this year?

JimboJames

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ram 1500 ecodiesel 2x4
Occupation
construction subcontractor
if youre ok waiting, the longer you wait the more money you save. buy a new car every year or every ten years which costs more money usually? but dont believe the "first model year" stuff. you could have problems or no problems with any of these trucks. for me, 4k miles and my window stopped working and now it works again after a computer reset. thats it.

Sponsored

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
This forum is full of very useful information and a couple of people in particular stand out as “knowing their stuff”, currybob and Albert!! Thank you gentlemen for sharing your knowledge. There are just over 2,000 people who are members of this forum and can therefore post on the forum. Ford produces over 1,000,000 F150’s each year. This forum membership thus represents LESS THAN 0.2% of the annual Ford F-150 owners. Not ever F150 owner is pissed at their truck or Ford. There are a few problems with every type of vehicle mass produced or any product for that matter. I think Ford stands by their products and the GOOD dealers out there will truly help their customers!

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
The later we get into 2021 production, it seems, the less issues folks are having with their truck. I felt comfortable enough to order a truck in late January (delivers this month). However, if you recall OKTB was pushed back time and time again and most of the first trucks produced sat in parking lots all over Dearborn and Claycomo waiting to be complete or for production issues to be resolved. None of that, to my knowledge is happening now.

Ford is addressing issues in real-time, so (fingers crossed) many of the issue in the first lot may not crop up in later models. If you have the patience, however, Ford is currently reaching out to speak with 2021 owners to get feedback. Much of what is communicated from the buyers perspective will be addressed in the 2022. I also assume the 2022 will get the multifunction tailgate they have been developing. I didn't wait as I have confidence in the 2021 to be a good truck, but waiting isn't the worst thing either. Just know it could be close to the end of the year before you see your truck if you get a 2022.

OP
OP

pr0f3ssor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150
Occupation
Sales
Thanks for all of the great information. I do have a ticking time bomb in torque converter shutter. I serviced the transmission and so far it's resolved the issue. However, I'm concerned I may not make it to 2022.​

truck trader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Outdoor Industry
Honestly, I'd wait. I expect the majority of the issues that have surfaced will be gone by the 2022 model year.

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
Wait for the 2022 model year. Let them take the year to get the kinks worked out.

I bought an XLT Powerboost and it had a check engine light that wouldn't go away. It was on at test drive, and the dealership were confident they had fixed it before I took delivery. Two miles from the dealership after buying it the light went back on. They had the truck for a week and even with Ford engineers helping they couldn't figure out what was causing it. They had torn the whole dashboard and interior apart with no luck. The dealership told me I could wait until they finally found the problem or they would take that truck back and get me a new one. I chose to get a new one with with the Ecoboost. Not saying this is everyones experience, and perhaps I am the only one, but it hasn't been great. The Powerboost is amazing, and I will get that when my lease is up on this one because I love everything about the redesign.

All that to say if you can wait it out, I'd wait it out and let Ford work out the growing pains of an amazing new powertrain on us beta testers who don't have patience.

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
There is no fun in waiting!

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
The only issue I’ve experienced is rust on the rear end, which the dealer mostly cleaned up. Aside from that, the truck has run perfectly. Do I think the 2022s will have less kinks? Yes. Should you wait? Only you can decide.

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
I’d also say that a lot of the technology issues will get resolved with software updates. So while they may be painful now, they’ll eventually be fixed.

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
I have a 19 limited and waiting on the 22 Limited----I dont want the first year, and want them to fix all the little issues!!! Im REALLY hoping they go dual exhaust and 3.5HO for the 22 Limiteds!

Louis

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.enormis.net
Vehicles
21 F150 Crew 3.5 Lariat Sport 502a 6.5bed FX4
Occupation
Biz Owner

My last truck was a 2014. Last year for that gen. PERFECT!

accountant told me in Nov to BUY A TRUCK!
no 2020 available for me.
Found a 2021... grrrrrrrrr.

I suggest you wait. ✋
Sponsored