Sponsored

Should I order the 36-gal fuel tank?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
First time poster, long time lurker! I am about to factory order an F-150 (from Granger!) and wanted to see if y’all think I should opt for the 36 gallon fuel tank or save the money. I have no plans to tow and will be using the truck as a daily driver for commuting. Will the standard tank suffice?

Bonus points if anyone can suggest any other must-have options!
Sponsored

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I always opt for the bigger tank, I think it’s money well spent. I went for at least a lariat because it’s the only way to get power fold mirrors and 4A. If I didn’t want those things, an XLT with katskinz leather would save me a lot of cash.

Sponsored

Its Not Me

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 3.5l Ecoboost 11/6/20
Occupation
Commercial Locksmith
Personally, I prefer the 36 gal tank...it means I save time by not having to stop at the gas station often.

As for your enticement of bonus points...

Must have: Tailgate step! Somewhere else in here I told the story of it being the only option I didn't ask for...and loving it more than any of the ones I did ask for!

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Personally, I prefer the 36 gal tank...it means I save time by not having to stop at the gas station often.

As for your enticement of bonus points...

Must have: Tailgate step! Somewhere else in here I told the story of it being the only option I didn't ask for...and loving it more than any of the ones I did ask for!
The tailgate step is ironically something I didn’t care about when I ordered and now somewhat wish I had paid the few extra bucks for. It definitely is handy to have.

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
Mine came with it as a package and it really came in handy on my first interstate trip. Went From Texas to new Orleans on less than 1 tank with a V8, 4 (middle aged :) ) adults, lot's of luggage and a 3.73 diff... so for me... it's a yes.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Welcome!

The long and short, YES! Get it for various reasons. Overall range is probably the easiest argument. Mine was included in my Max Tow Package, but as a stand-alone option ($495, I believe) it’s a definitely a smarter option box to check. Besides the extended range, I like the piece of mind of having the extra fuel for “bug out” scenarios, or if I’m without power for an extended period of time at least I’ll have the means to travel or run the A/C in the truck.

Sponsored

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
for me, the tank pays for itself very quickly. There are a couple gas stations that I drive by only every week or two that are about 10% cheaper than all the ones near where I live. The bigger tank allows me to not fill up until I happen to be near those stations and so I save about $10-$15 per fill up by being able to wait until I am near those stations. I must admit though my truck came with the big tank so it didn't actually cost extra but I am glad to have it. My 2.7L with the big tank has at least 1100km range

KielerFarms

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 f-150 waiting on 2021
Occupation
Beef farmer
Its nice to have as others have said. Get the tow mirrors. I am so glad I did vs the small standard ones. Makes the truck look like a superduty as well.

Green_Bean

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired musician
I have had 4 F150s and all have had the 36 gal tank. Ordered my current Lariat with one. I will always opt for the larger tank....well worth it for me.

Ack

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 4x4
I’ll go contrarian since most others vote “yes...” I thought I wanted it, but found a truck on the lot with everything else I wanted. 2.7L Ecoboost XLT SCREW 4x4 302A pkg. i also fon’t tow anything, and mostly do commuting miles. With the regular tank I get a range of about 525 mi. That works for what I use the truck for. In other words, I’m not sad that I don’t have the bigger tank.
Sponsored