Should I Buy or No?

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee, 2021 F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Corporate Finance
Background: I placed an order last week and placed a deposit. Seeing constraints and timeframes, I started looking at dealer inventories and found a dealership a state away that has *almost* the exact truck I ordered; close enough that it's no big deal. The price difference between the one I ordered and the one at the dealer a state away is $500 including the delivery to my front door.

Questions:
- I know it's not kosher but being a week out from when I placed the order, I feel like it shouldn't be a big deal to back out of the order and get a refund on the deposit? I just feel kind of guilty I guess...
- The out-of-state dealer was 100x more confident than the dealer I ordered from and knew what he was talking about. The deal feels great, they're doing the state tax portion for me so all I have to do is register when it gets here but any other 'watch-outs' I should look out for?

Happy and ready to pull the trigger but I trust a lot of the advice I've seen given on this forum and have found a lot of the information very useful.
Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Interesting that your dealer asked for a deposit.

OP
OP
kwon

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Corporate Finance
Interesting that your dealer asked for a deposit.
Is that not normal? I guess I just figured that was a security blanket to show I was serious enough. If not, it would further prove my point that it really didn't seem like they knew what they were doing at all.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
It’s certainly possible that it varies from dealer to dealer. My experience has been no deposit required, unless what I’m ordering is so out of the ordinary that the dealer would have a hard time selling it if I backed out.

Sponsored

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Background: I placed an order last week and placed a deposit. Seeing constraints and timeframes, I started looking at dealer inventories and found a dealership a state away that has *almost* the exact truck I ordered; close enough that it's no big deal. The price difference between the one I ordered and the one at the dealer a state away is $500 including the delivery to my front door.

Questions:
- I know it's not kosher but being a week out from when I placed the order, I feel like it shouldn't be a big deal to back out of the order and get a refund on the deposit? I just feel kind of guilty I guess...
- The out-of-state dealer was 100x more confident than the dealer I ordered from and knew what he was talking about. The deal feels great, they're doing the state tax portion for me so all I have to do is register when it gets here but any other 'watch-outs' I should look out for?

Happy and ready to pull the trigger but I trust a lot of the advice I've seen given on this forum and have found a lot of the information very useful.
Is that not normal? I guess I just figured that was a security blanket to show I was serious enough. If not, it would further prove my point that it really didn't seem like they knew what they were doing at all.
It's normal especially if inventory volume is low demand is high. If this is the one you want and you don't want the long wait on the one ordered I would would buy it. Plus if the truck has any parts delays like some have now the wait could be longer.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
Wanting a deposit is normal but it should be refundable if you back out. What I would not do is buy a truck sight unseen and have it shipped to me.

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
My dealer wanted a $500 deposit, which is 100% refundable at any time by state (WA) law. They didn't have any concern about selling it if I backed out, so they just told me to skip the deposit.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Do you have the contract paper for your deposit? Check the cancel terms and cancel it!

Do you need the deposit $$ to purchase the truck in another state? This will be potentially be a waiting issue for deposit funds to transfer...

If the difference between the two trucks are not a big deal, then drive to the other state and check it out and/or buy it!

Sponsored

RCR001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
bottom Line..If u don't take a truck off the lot u get your money back. or tell the original dealer to get u the truck, they do that all the time here.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Share the VIN of what you ordered and the truck out of state. Let's take a look-see and compare.

I also would feel weird doing the sight unseen thing. On the other hand, a trip out of state sounds fun, given travel has really sucked lately with everything closed...

OP
OP
kwon

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Corporate Finance
Share the VIN of what you ordered and the truck out of state. Let's take a look-see and compare.

I also would feel weird doing the sight unseen thing. On the other hand, a trip out of state sounds fun, given travel has really sucked lately with everything closed...
Here's the out of state VIN: 1FTFW1E84MFA09106
No VIN yet on the local dealer ordered as I just ordered last week but here's the build (only difference is Max Recline and wheel well liner):
Ford F-150 Should I Buy or No? Build.PNG

OP
OP
kwon

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Corporate Finance
Do you have the contract paper for your deposit? Check the cancel terms and cancel it!

Do you need the deposit $$ to purchase the truck in another state? This will be potentially be a waiting issue for deposit funds to transfer...

If the difference between the two trucks are not a big deal, then drive to the other state and check it out and/or buy it!
I didn't sign anything when I put the order in. No terms and when I asked about a refund they said "it's case by case". Luckily I put it on a credit card for this very reason so if worse comes to worst, I can charge it back (not ideal).

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
My dealer required a $1k deposit. Thought that was normal, reading these replies it might not be. Im in Minnesota, so that might make a difference. I would get that one out of state and be done with it!
Sponsored