Sponsored

Shopping For a new Lariat. Advice on options

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
Also did you run the stock tires in the snow all winter? How did they do? I switched mine to Duratracs because we have a steep mountain driveway but was always curious how it would have managed with the stock tires.
Sponsored

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
Also did you run the stock tires in the snow all winter? How did they do? I switched mine to Duratracs because we have a steep mountain driveway but was always curious how it would have managed with the stock tires.
I did, figured I'd try them out until I find the level and wheels I want. They did alright, only slid out on me once but I also wasn't pushing it too much. It slid out on a packed turn going down a mountain in 4a, after that I took it easy. Probably gonna get KO2's this fall.

Mine never looked that clean in winter no matter how often I tried to wash it :)
Haha, it was the day after I bought it and the roads were pretty clean then...

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
I did, figured I'd try them out until I find the level and wheels I want. They did alright, only slid out on me once but I also wasn't pushing it too much. It slid out on a packed turn going down a mountain in 4a, after that I took it easy. Probably gonna get KO2's this fall.

Haha, it was the day after I bought it and the roads were pretty clean then...
Yeah the Duratracs were great in the snow but for at least the first few thousand miles were noticeably sticky and loud. Now that they are worn in a bit they ride better the question will be how they do in snow with 5k miles less tread. If those stock Wranglers held up well enough though I’m guessing they should be good for a while.

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
I have the options you want and am glad that I have them all. The only other option that I have is the power tailgate which I am also glad to have, for the power tailgate which is nice, and also for the step which is also very very nice. I don't have any of the other options on your list of maybes. And I don't miss any of them. I was torn over the sunroof, but I don't miss it. The sunroof is awesome in the back seat but in the front seat its just a source of sunlight that you can't actually see through while driving. It also adds weight and decreases payload.

Sponsored

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat 502A FX4 5.0
Our Lariat is our first ever truck and first ever FORD.....

My wife was adamant that if I was gonna buy the thing, get EVERYTHING I wanted so I'd be happy and I gotta say she was spot on...

Mines a 501A V8 with sunroof, tow package, FX4, work surface, power tailgate and 36 gallon tank...

In the real world it depends on what you do.... the long range tank was great on an interstate trip recently, I've never even opened the work surface (it came with it), having driven a few trucks beforehand I liked the firmer ride particularly the lower rear bounce, don't use the power tailgate and LOVE the sunroof/use it daily....

I didn't like the sports internal color so settled for the chrome with bigger wheels and have come to really like it...

The standard B&O is enough for me with all of the other gizmo's.... overall I give it a 9.5 out of 10 as in this spec it drives and feels as good as any SUV for the dollars we've looked at.....

As an aside, went and test drove an Explorer Limited this week for the little lady. Very underwhelmed with the harshness of the ride, the silly little steering wheel, the thrashy 4 cyl noise and the lack of space, all for 55k..... have decided we might buy another Lariat as it's bigger, better and a better ride for the money.... who'd a thought?

OP
OP

Aenemia

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Fusion, shopping for '21-22 Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Our Lariat is our first ever truck and first ever FORD.....

My wife was adamant that if I was gonna buy the thing, get EVERYTHING I wanted so I'd be happy and I gotta say she was spot on...

Mines a 501A V8 with sunroof, tow package, FX4, work surface, power tailgate and 36 gallon tank...

In the real world it depends on what you do.... the long range tank was great on an interstate trip recently, I've never even opened the work surface (it came with it), having driven a few trucks beforehand I liked the firmer ride particularly the lower rear bounce, don't use the power tailgate and LOVE the sunroof/use it daily....

I didn't like the sports internal color so settled for the chrome with bigger wheels and have come to really like it...

The standard B&O is enough for me with all of the other gizmo's.... overall I give it a 9.5 out of 10 as in this spec it drives and feels as good as any SUV for the dollars we've looked at.....

As an aside, went and test drove an Explorer Limited this week for the little lady. Very underwhelmed with the harshness of the ride, the silly little steering wheel, the thrashy 4 cyl noise and the lack of space, all for 55k..... have decided we might buy another Lariat as it's bigger, better and a better ride for the money.... who'd a thought?
What kind of gas mileage you get in the V8?

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat 502A FX4 5.0
What kind of gas mileage you get in the V8?
Around town (I turn off the stop start) 17/18mpg.... open highway 22-23mpg with 4 adults, luggage and A/C on....

As much as I respect people wanting the powerboost etc, a V8 was the only way for me... no dramas with towing and a loud pedal :)...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Aenemia

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Fusion, shopping for '21-22 Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Around town (I turn off the stop start) 17/18mpg.... open highway 22-23mpg with 4 adults, luggage and A/C on....

As much as I respect people wanting the powerboost etc, a V8 was the only way for me... no dramas with towing and a loud pedal :)...
That’s my big debate. There’s so many glowing reviews of the power boost, that it made me start looking at that motor. I went into the search really wanting the V8 though. That mileage is actually pretty decent and kind of swaying me back in that direction.

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
That’s my big debate. There’s so many glowing reviews of the power boost, that it made me start looking at that motor. I went into the search really wanting the V8 though. That mileage is actually pretty decent and kind of swaying me back in that direction.
To be honest PB really only shines in city stop and go traffic... aside from that MPG not all that better than V8... at 65-75 MPH I can get like 22.5 HWY.... but I cant drive that slow so 80-85MPH you are at 20-21 MPG

Cbaka27

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
Occupation
Sales
To be honest PB really only shines in city stop and go traffic... aside from that MPG not all that better than V8... at 65-75 MPH I can get like 22.5 HWY.... but I cant drive that slow so 80-85MPH you are at 20-21 MPG
I was sold with the 7.2 on-board power of the PB. Otherwise, I would go 5.0!!!!

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
I was sold with the 7.2 on-board power of the PB. Otherwise, I would go 5.0!!!!
Same here, the technology and what I intend to use it soon for camping/family.

Which leads me to another point, if you get the PB go ahead and spend the extra $600 and get the 7.2kw, as you cannot upgrade from a 2.4kw.

Last edited:

Cbaka27

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
Occupation
Sales
Same here, the technology and what I intend to use it soon for camping/family.

Which leads me to another point, if you get the PB go ahead and spend the extra $600 and get the 7.2kw, as you cannot upgrade from a 2.4kw.
The 7.2 was the easiest upgrade to make.... There is do much value in that!
Sponsored