Sponsored

Shop installed bilstein 5100s rears upside down?

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
The boot is at the top and the bilstein logo is upside down. They swear it's correct, I told them it's not. What is the verdict?

I plan on telling them to fix it tomorrow if you can confirm they are installed improperly.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Bilstein does recommend the label right side up. It why they intentionally put it on the shock.

Good luck convincing them though.

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Bilstein does recommend the label right side up. It why they intentionally put it on the shock.

Good luck convincing them though.
Lol. Yep.

Good news is the 2 min drive home from the shop my truck felt like a new truck.. can't wait to get it out on some rougher roads. It felt completely more planted.

Michelix defender's prob didn't hurt either.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Never underestimate what those Michelins can do to transform how your truck rolls.

They are not nearly as in vogue these days because how a tire looks has become mainstream. But I personally don't think any truck tire rides on tarmac like that Michelin.

And yea, combined with the Bilsteins your truck is nothing like OEM.

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Never underestimate what those Michelins can do to transform how your truck rolls.

They are not nearly as in vogue these days because how a tire looks has become mainstream. But I personally don't think any truck tire rides on tarmac like that Michelin.

Just took it back to the shop, they agreed to fix them tomorrow morn. Phew.

It rode so much smoother that I'm not sure I'll even mess with the front. Will see. I don't even have anything in the rear bed right now and it was night and day. Felt like I was in a luxury SUV not off roading with my head about to hit the roof every bump.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Countless number of posts over the years that match your description exactly.
Sure makes you wonder why Ford stubbornly sticks to their underdamped strategy.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Countless number of posts over the years that match your description exactly.
Sure makes you wonder why Ford stubbornly sticks to their underdamped strategy.
Save a few dollars? IMO, doesn't make any sense, but I'm sure the bean counters had final say.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb

I had them on 3 (or is it 4?) previous trucks. I'd call them a handsome tire, and I agree they are great highway tires.
Ford F-150 Shop installed bilstein 5100s rears upside down? 20200711_102742

BritCanuck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4x4 2.7EB XLT SuperCab, 6.5Ft, 302a order
Occupation
Self Employed Photographer
Yeah I just installed rear 5100‘s last week. All the YT videos show them as ‘shiny bit at the top’, lol.

Noticed a nice difference in ride quality, more planted, less ‘floaty’.

Interesting to note the shock nut/bolt arrangement is not the same on either side, at least on my truck. On the driver side the upper nut/bolt is different from the rest. No sure why.

And I’ll probably get the Michelin defenders when we get our travel trailer.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Save a few dollars? IMO, doesn't make any sense, but I'm sure the bean counters had final say.
I've thought about it often over the years.
Mazda offers Bilsteins on the Miata if you want a certain trim. It really seems to cost very little and that's a vehicle that is niche in annual numbers and Ford outsells in 1 day.

The cost to Ford as an oem supplier would likely be very small increase over what Ford buys. Even if Ford stayed with their current supplier, why not similar damping rates to almost EVERY aftermarket offering? It's not that a Ford OEM shock is built poorly, but rather it's not a pleasing damping match to the truck. It's baffling.

I guess enough people actually like it.

I admit that the CCD package is better, but that just proves that Ford chose a different damping rate for the electronically adjustable shocks. Why, if they are so sure they have the analog damping rate right?

Sorry for the mini-rant. Lol
I've just accepted that every F150 I ever buy gets shocks immediately.

Sponsored

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
The boot is at the top and the bilstein logo is upside down. They swear it's correct, I told them it's not. What is the verdict?

I plan on telling them to fix it tomorrow if you can confirm they are installed improperly.
I just had 5100's put on all around. Same, the boot is at the top and the installer swears it is correct for the rear. I told them to call Bilstein customer service and they didn't. Also told me the rears came without installation instructions but the fronts did. Bilstein wants lable up and boot down, I think. Does it make any difference? I don't know.

Gutshot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT screw
Occupation
Aggregate junkie
Posted this in another thread, still the same verdict.
Ford F-150 Shop installed bilstein 5100s rears upside down? 1EF07398-8E55-4735-90CB-D89F5D973581

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
And it still does not matter.

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Sort of like which direction does toilet paper unroll on the roller. You decide, as long as it works. My installer called to say he talked with Bilstein's rep and they recommend boot with drain holes down, logo up, due to piston action but people have run them the opposite. So he will flip them if I want.

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Sort of like which direction does toilet paper unroll on the roller. You decide, as long as it works. My installer called to say he talked with Bilstein's rep and they recommend boot with drain holes down, logo up, due to piston action but people have run them the opposite. So he will flip them if I want.
Have them flip them for peace of mind. I was told the same, others said warranty would be voided if installed upside down but they would work fine.
Sponsored