Shock recommendations

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I have a Platinum Powerboost FX4 that is at stock height with stock size Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires. I pull a 7600# travel trailer for about 30% of my total truck miles. Most of our towing miles are on roads, but we do occasionally camp off road down dirt roads and on beaches. I would also like to do some occasional light off-roading to get to hiking spots, points of interest, etc.

I would like better shock performance than I am getting for the OEM FX4 shocks, but I DO NOT want to change my ride height or lose my rake.

I have heard good things about Blistein 5100’s but also have heard conflicting stories on if they impact ride height. I went to the Fox website, but they seem to assume you know what fits your vehicle and application - they just talk technology and have no selector that I could find.

Any thoughts on this forum?
Sponsored

ChemGuy

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Sport 5.0
Occupation
Reactor Operator
From my understanding the Bilstein 5100's are adjustable from stock ride height up to 2.5" of level. I had them on my 12th gen but set them at the highest setting so can't really say if they'd add any height at stock setting. I imagine if they did it would be minimal. I had them front and rear and loved the way it felt. It was firm but not "bouncy" and felt much more planted.

lrequa92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Supercrew STX 5.0L 4x4
I am also interested in opinions or results from people who have installed 5100s at the stock height setting.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I have heard good things about Blistein 5100’s but also have heard conflicting stories on if they impact ride height.
Bilstein 5100's are designed to be installed with stock ride height and stock springs, I've BTDT and confirmed that on all four corners for my no-lift installation.

The front 5100's have additional optional perch ring slots for a slight lift if desired - just don't use those optional slots and you'll retain stock ride height.

Remember, shocks don't support weight, the only way they can change the ride height is by changing the location of the spring perch on the shock body. The lowest slot on the 5100s corresponds exactly to the OE shock spring perch location (you can lay 'em side-by-side to confirm this).

Yes, I'm happy with the improved damping control of the 5100's on my stock-height F150 with stock springs, both empty and towing, the ride remains great.

Last edited:

lrequa92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bilstein 5100's are designed to be installed with stock ride height and stock springs, I've BTDT and confirmed that on all four corners for my no-lift installation.

The front 5100's have additional optional perch ring slots for a slight lift if desired - just don't use those optional slots and you'll retain stock ride height. Remember, shocks don't support weight, the only way they can change the ride height is by changing the location of the spring perch on the shock body.

Yes, I'm happy with the improved damping control of the 5100's on my stock-height F150 with stock springs, both empty and towing, the ride remains great.
Did your ride firm up a little bit? Thats all I'm looking to do on my truck. If I can firm up the ride a little bit without adding any spring preload. Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
don.mullins

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum

The front 5100's have additional optional perch ring slots for a slight lift if desired - just don't use those optional slots and you'll retain stock ride height. Remember, shocks don't support weight, the only way they can change the ride height is by changing the location of the spring perch on the shock body.

Thank you for the detailed response!

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Did your ride firm up a little bit? Thats all I'm looking to do on my truck. If I can firm up the ride a little bit without adding any spring preload. Thanks
Descriptions of the change are troublesome in their subjectiveness / interpretation; I prefer the description coined by @Snakebitten in some of his suspension discussions (I paraphrase):

IMO the damping of the Bilstein 5100s provides a more composed ride in comparison to the OE shocks.

Edit - please note my experience is with comparison to standard Lariat 4x4 shocks - I do not have the 'FX4' package on my truck.

Last edited:

lrequa92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Descriptions of the change are troublesome in their subjectiveness / interpretation; I prefer the description coined by @Snakebitten in some of his suspension his discussions (I paraphrase):

IMO the damping of the Bilstein 5100s provides a more composed ride in comparison to the OE shocks.
Ok thank you for the response!

Jesup

First Name
Jesup
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
None
I got 2021 platinum power boot. I have changed to 6112 strut& spring assembly plus rear B8 5160 reservoir shock set . It’s ride soft, if you need firm ride go Fox 2.0 .

Sponsored

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
I don't do much towing, but I've heard that the Bilstein's are better than the Fox's when it comes to towing.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Shocks control absorption and rebound rates. Off road you want softer so you're not feeling every bump. Consider adding airbags for towing. Some prefer the RAS -- I prefer easy adjustability. The F150 factory FX4 is already on the 'soft' side, which is good off road. Reading general forums such as these I think people get things backwards in regards to shocks.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I like the Rancho XL adjustable shocks where it takes seconds to adjust the amount of dampening. I set the front shocks and then leave them but at the rear axle I add dampening when carrying a heavy load or towing a heavy trailer and get a much more stable ride.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I guess you did not understand my comment that my truck needs more dampening with a heavy load or trailer and less when the bed is empty or I am not towing a heavy trailer. You could change the shocks when you plan to tow and then change back to the factory shocks when not towing, or you could mount adjustable shocks at the year as people have been doing for many years.

The question is whether to go with adjustable air shocks at the rear or something like the Ranch XL adjustable shocks. I do not like the idea of being in the back country or on a long trip from home and having an air bag fail. So I prefer to have the springs do the lifting and the Rancho XL shocks provide the spring dampening.
Sponsored