• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sentry Mode, Dash Cam, ugly unfinished area

O’Majestic1’slightnigF150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
A couple items from the Mach e forum I have not seen here are:
Sentry Mode and utilizing 360 view cameras for dash cam instead of an add on. Anyone heard about these 2 being “fixed” for the lightening?

I have a ‘20 super duty limited that cost $90k with 360 view / more cameras than I can count and I had to install another 3 cams so I can record forward, back, interior and then reprogram the PowerPoints to stay on to support sentry mode.

and, what about that ugly dirt, gravel, small animal hiding area just in front of the front door gap opening in the fender area. You would think someone would figure how to seal that off, especially on Platinums, Limiteds, Lariats. Sorry Pro, XL, XLT guy.
Sponsored

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
New venture announced today. I imagining it will be an OTA upgrade for both Mach E and Lightning. Likely a paid subscription.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
OP
OP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Definitely a hard pass on that one. This could be the one reason I stop being a loyal ford guy since ‘75. My first truck was A ‘70 F100, 3 on the tree with a 360. Still have my 2 tone ‘84 F250 and ‘99 F350, Taurus and 2 other super duty’s. Hell, I even have a ‘69 Ford tractor.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Sentry Mode and utilizing 360 view cameras for dash cam instead of an add on. Anyone heard about these 2 being “fixed” for the lightening?
Before I switched order from MachE to F150EV, on the Premium LRAWD model I had on order, in order to get a Sentry Mode (where cameras are on motion sense when the car is parked), you had to order a third party camera package for about $500(?).

There was no built in Sentry Mode" on the MachE.

On the Tesla, its a big energy draw as the computers have to stay on to do the motion sensing. I think it was 2 miles an hour range loss plus lights flash and screens come on when activated. Basically the car had to stay ON for Sentry Mode to work.

I like the live cams recording in case of any accident so you have a record but that was not what Sentry Mode did.

I would not pay to add just a Sentry Mode to a car. I did pay $1,300 to add blind spot indicator to the Tesla.

Does the Co-Pilot 360 2.0 package on the F150EV record accidents?

Sponsored

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
I'll be bummed to lose the convenience of built-in dashcams when I switch from a Tesla to an F-150L but that just means I'll buy cameras to install in the truck. The quality of the footage Tesla cams is pretty dodgy any way, and there's no audio. Also as mentioned before, Tesla's cameras hog a lot of power so you can't practically use it for longer periods.

OP
OP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Before I switched order from MachE to F150EV, on the Premium LRAWD model I had on order, in order to get a Sentry Mode (where cameras are on motion sense when the car is parked), you had to order a third party camera package for about $500(?).

There was no built in Sentry Mode" on the MachE.

On the Tesla, its a big energy draw as the computers have to stay on to do the motion sensing. I think it was 2 miles an hour range loss plus lights flash and screens come on when activated. Basically the car had to stay ON for Sentry Mode to work.

I like the live cams recording in case of any accident so you have a record but that was not what Sentry Mode did.

I would not pay to add just a Sentry Mode to a car. I did pay $1,300 to add blind spot indicator to the Tesla.

Does the Co-Pilot 360 2.0 package on the F150EV record accidents?
Not that I have read anywhere. Which is why I brought those items here. Early wrecks and assists to avoid wrecks in the Mach E’s reported screen flashes on the “tablet” which appeared to be recordings but there was never any proof posted to validate anything but “glitchy software”.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Early wrecks and assists to avoid wrecks in the Mach E’s reported screen flashes on the “tablet” which appeared to be recordings but there was never any proof posted to validate anything but “glitchy software”.
As to the recording accident cams (which is not Sentry Mode on the Tesla), on Subaru's EyeSight (at least on my 2015), it would record accidents but it was not viewable to driver and had to be recovered by Subaru.

Does the MachE manual say it has an accident recording feature viewable to driver?

That would be a feature not exclusive to an EV. Do any ICE F150's have the feature?

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I'll be bummed to lose the convenience of built-in dashcams when I switch from a Tesla to an F-150L but that just means I'll buy cameras to install in the truck. The quality of the footage Tesla cams is pretty dodgy any way, and there's no audio. Also as mentioned before, Tesla's cameras hog a lot of power so you can't practically use it for longer periods.
I've installed dashcams front and rear in my '21 KR PB. Nowhere near as good as the Tesla dashcam system. My Tesla dashcam does not vampire draw anywhere near as much in Sentry Mode as EagesPDX claims, at least on my MX. Works great as dashcam and as a sentry, has already saved me twice, put one truck driver in jail directly from the roadside after a road rage incident - no vehicle contact but his punch documented on a convenience store video, combined with the Tesla cam's videos showing his multiple attempts to run me off the road led to handcuffs.

My current version of Co-Pilot 360 does not record anything, but I have not received the update yet.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
The power draw of Sentry Mode is around 700W. While it's not the 2 mph EaglesPDX claimed, it's definitely enough to notice if running overnight.

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Could not find anything about Fords 360 Co-pilot having cam recordings.

Did find this product which seems to mimic Tesla's Sentry Mode.

Owlcam.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I drive a Mach-e, while I can understand them holding back Sentry Mode to save power, that seems a bit of a stretch considering they’re encouraging buyers to run power tools, and even their house with the battery.

One thing I learned about my Mach-e is that certain things use the 12 volt battery unless the car is “running”, so they’re trying to make sure that battery doesn’t drain down.

It’s crazy that there’s still a 12 volt battery in there… it mainly keeps the computer and some functions like detecting the key fob, running some legacy components that were designed for a regular car without reengineering them. You’d think they would just have a simple 120 to 12 volt transformer and just have the main battery, but somehow every EV, including Tesla, still has a 12 volt battery.

If nothing else:

1. When plugged in, there’s no reason not to support some sort of Sentry Mode, there are clearly a lot of USB ports.

2. DashCam mode should absolutely be turned on whenever you’re driving. It‘s super helpful for insurance purposes and for providing evidence to law enforcement.

stimpy

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Sentry Mode's energy drain is well documented. I like the Kona's energy usage screen where it breaks down the usage by function.

"Sentry Mode battery usage 7% per day"

Watch: Is Tesla Sentry Mode Worth The Energy It Consumes?

"Tesla Sentry Mode Battery Drain: Here are the Facts"
EaglesPDX is correct, my Model S uses about a mile per hour give or take on sentry mode. For M3 or MY, I expect it to be higher since they have a lower wh/mile calculation. I have to turn it off if I’m going to leave it in long term parking at the airport for a few days.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
It’s crazy that there’s still a 12 volt battery in there
Don't know of an EV that doesn't have the 12V battery so there's probably a good reason they all chose that solution.
Sponsored