• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Selling Your Order or Plan to Sell Lightning?

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
This is why you don't back just one horse. If I get my Lightning this year and then Cybertruck in 2024, everything is great! It's funny the truck I reserved a year earlier, will be ready a year later. Three random thoughts on selling Lightning:

- It's a huge financial commitment and has taken years of work to get the truck. In the event the truck sells for less than MSRP or slightly above, was it really worth it? Seems like there were many other ways, with lower risk, to make a few thousand dollars over two years. For decades, cars were worth substantially less the second they left the lot. That will happen again, maybe in 12-18 months, I don't think cars are a sustainable investment.

- I think that the smaller battery is an issue for resale. The truck will be absolutely amazing in 2022 and as an early adopter, there's one real competitor today. But by 2024, this launch model will seem dated, by 2026 it will be a dinosaur. So unless you flip immediately, be prepared for old school depreciation. This happens to early adopters of many products, especially new technology.

- The one saving grace for resale could be if the 2nd gen Lightning is more radically different than the current design (i.e. - Silverado EV) and there are only 150,000 1st gen trucks that look like traditional F-150s. In this case, gen 1 could be a collector's item. But if gen 2 is very similar to gen 1, but more aerodynamic, more tech, and better battery; these gen 1 Lightnings will have low demand.
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Public Records. Also, if you financed the car through Ford, you have to tell them.
I can pay off the vehicle and have the title issued to myself before transferring the title to the seller. So no, I don't have to inform Ford financial that I am selling the vehicle.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I can pay off the vehicle and have the title issued to myself before transferring the title to the seller. So no, I don't have to inform Ford financial that I am selling the vehicle.
Yes you can, but we're talking about reselling the vehicle shortly after purchase. If you could haver paid cash, why would you finance?

Shady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150xlt
Yes you can, but we're talking about reselling the vehicle shortly after purchase. If you could haver paid cash, why would you finance?

because you almost always get a better deal when financing a car.

not sure if that applies to things like the lightning. Not sure if the dealership will want to spread the kickbacks/incentives they get from finance companies.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition

not sure if that applies to things like the lightning. Not sure if the dealership will want to spread the kickbacks/incentives they get from finance companies.
The only financing company that would matter here is FMC. At any rate if you guys want to go through that trouble just to hide reselling of your car (even though you really can't), go ahead.

Sponsored

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual

We’re all planning to pay MSRP for these trucks, like I did on my Bronco last month. Not much incentive to finance through the dealer if the rates aren’t as good. I did finance my Bronco through the dealer to help them out, they got 1.99% for 60, my bank was 1.89% for 60, so close enough and the paperwork was quicker.

piratefan2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT-ER, 24 Silverado, 06 Silverado
Also remember that the federal tax credit cannot be claimed if the vehicle was purchased for resale. So neither you, nor the purchaser will be able to claim the credit.
I'm planning to use my truck. I'm not planning to sell it...but if some makes me an offer that I can't refuse, it'll be gone and I'll still be able to claim the tax credit. I'm ordering the Pro with no options, so there probably won't be a huge demand for it any way.

If my dealer tries to insert the no resell language in the contract, I'll probably walk away on principle.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I don't plan on selling mine either. In fact, I currently have a < 1000mi 21 Ford Lariat PB, and I love it. I already spoke to the dealer about trading that in for the Lightning, and they agreed and have no issues with it as its a lease.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I don't plan on selling mine either. In fact, I currently have a < 1000mi 21 Ford Lariat PB, and I love it. I already spoke to the dealer about trading that in for the Lightning, and they agreed and have no issues with it as its a lease.
How can you get out of a captive lender's lease without paying a lot of money ??

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
How can you get out of a captive lender's lease without paying a lot of money ??
Usually you cant... however I put money down the lease, and the current used/new car environment.

Sponsored

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
You can call the lease company and get a payoff to buy it before lease end. If the Payoff is lower then the value the dealer is willing to buy it for, the dealer can buy the vehicle and apply the equity to your trade. Some times there is equity, other times people are upside down. If you are upside down and still want to get out of the lease, you have to put up some cash, or wrap the shortfall into your new loan, which is not a good idea.

Last edited:

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
I personally think it is a fair trade off if Ford is punishing dealers for marking up the vehicle. Dealers could reasonably complain they are losing out by not making the extra on the mark up if the consumer can do it themselves. It simply needs to be as Ford has announced, no mark ups for dealers and no flipping it for consumers IMO.
Couldn't the sales guys have put in their own personal pre-orders then sell it back to dealership to rape potential customers?

OP
OP
GregL

GregL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport
I personally think it is a fair trade off if Ford is punishing dealers for marking up the vehicle. Dealers could reasonably complain they are losing out by not making the extra on the mark up if the consumer can do it themselves. It simply needs to be as Ford has announced, no mark ups for dealers and no flipping it for consumers IMO.
Just for clarity here, Ford has no global statement or program to inhibit the resale of F150 Lightnings. The only thing they've said is they would support a dealer if the dealer chose to try and get a customer to sign something at the time of sale. This is an individual dealer by dealer thing.

What has been done on this topic for the Bronco's?

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
Just for clarity here, Ford has no global statement or program to inhibit the resale of F150 Lightnings. The only thing they've said is they would support a dealer if the dealer chose to try and get a customer to sign something at the time of sale. This is an individual dealer by dealer thing.

What has been done on this topic for the Bronco's?
Nothing.