• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Selling Your Order or Plan to Sell Lightning?

Royalist

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender 90 S
Occupation
Student (Aviation Management and Operations) / Farm Manager
I personally think it is a fair trade off if Ford is punishing dealers for marking up the vehicle. Dealers could reasonably complain they are losing out by not making the extra on the mark up if the consumer can do it themselves. It simply needs to be as Ford has announced, no mark ups for dealers and no flipping it for consumers IMO.
With that logic, flipping houses shouldn't be allowed either. Not sure why everyone is defending Ford or specifically the dealers. Dealers make money because there is a thing called invoice. Pretty much all are selling well over that, which means instant profit. If Ford really cared, maybe they should produce more trucks to fix the market. They helped to create this market and then make it so the consumer can't come out on top. It's funny, defending the dealers is what helped create and establish them and what put us in this situation to begin with.

Dealers 3 Years ago: Oh you bought a $65k truck, well now you just drove it off the lot and it's lost 15% of its value, oh and you had to finance it for a ridiculous rate and monthly term, oh too bad. Plus you have to pay for mx and shoddy service. Well hey, in 3-5 years, you can get another one and repeat the process all over again!

Dealers Now: What?! You're selling our cars for more than you paid for it because the market has changed and Ford uses incredibly old chips and now we don't have enough of them!? Plus we're charging ridiculous markups which is essentially money you'll never get back, and you guys do THIS... You can't do that!

Ford F-150 Lightning Selling Your Order or Plan to Sell Lightning? 1641684465908
Sponsored

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
With that logic, flipping houses shouldn't be allowed either. Not sure why everyone is defending Ford or specifically the dealers. Dealers make money because there is a thing called invoice. Pretty much all are selling well over that, which means instant profit. If Ford really cared, maybe they should produce more trucks to fix the market. They helped to create this market and then make it so the consumer can't come out on top. It's funny, defending the dealers is what helped create and establish them and what put us in this situation to begin with.

Dealers 3 Years ago: Oh you bought a $65k truck, well now you just drove it off the lot and it's lost 15% of its value, oh and you had to finance it for a ridiculous rate and monthly term, oh too bad. Plus you have to pay for mx and shoddy service. Well hey, in 3-5 years, you can get another GT

Dealers 3 Years ago: Oh you bought a $65k truck, well now you just drove it off the lot and it's lost 15% of its value, oh and you had to finance it for a ridiculous rate and monthly term, oh too bad. Plus you have to pay for mx and shoddy service. Well hey, in 3-5 years, you can get another one and repeat the process all over again!

Dealers Now: What?! You're selling our cars for more than you paid for it because the market has changed and Ford uses incredibly old chips and now we don't have enough of them!? Plus we're charging ridiculous markups which is essentially money you'll never get back, and you guys do THIS... You can't do that!

1641684465908.png
People that flip houses don't custom order a house put it in there own name and live in it and turn it for a profit or they would have to pay capital gains tax on it. I agree with for in the letter from Ford both parties resellers and protecting consumers from shady dealer practices

Last edited:

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GB FE
You’re analogies to home flipping really doesn’t work. People who flip houses pay income taxes on the profit, even if not a capital gains tax.

I’m all for regulated markets in water, utilities, food, medicine, etc. that we literally cannot live without. But luxury pickup trucks? Ford, dealers and buyers should all be able to do what they want and everyone can choose to transact or not. Competition between dealers, manufacturers and customers will balance everything out. This is at least an $80k truck in most configurations. A luxury that no one should really feel entitled to.

Royalist

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
You guys do get that flipping isn't anything knew and now everyone is like, what!? Remember the Thunderbird haha. And it's my customer order not someone else's.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
You guys do get that flipping isn't anything knew and now everyone is like, what!? Remember the Thunderbird haha. And it's my customer order not someone else's.
As long as people with enough money and desire exist and the supply is lower than the demand, anything will get flipped for a profit. Hell, it happened with toilet paper and Lysol.

wheelz2000

First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
Sure seems to be true for the market we are in.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I am buying a Lightning. I also have a Cybertruck preorder. If the Lightning is better than the CT, I will just cancel my preorder. If the CT is better than the Lightning, I will sell my Lightning for it. I'm not looking to make a profit, I assume I'll take a loss if Lightning looks like a dinosaur compared to CT, but that is why I would sell. Hopefully Lightning is the better truck and I just save the headache, but who knows at this point?

What if my CT is ready 7 months after I get my Lightning (doubtful!)? There is no reason I shouldn't be able to sell, if I want a new vehicle. If the stipulation was no sale over my cost, I'm absolutely fine with that.

Last edited:

Shady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150xlt
I wonder what ties Ford has to the DMV that they know you sold your lightning

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I wonder what ties Ford has to the DMV that they know you sold your lightning
Public Records. Also, if you financed the car through Ford, you have to tell them.

Sponsored

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I am buying a Lightning. I also have a Cybertruck preorder. If the Lightning is better than the CT, I will just cancel my preorder. If the CT is better than the Lightning, I will sell my Lightning for it. I'm not looking to make a profit, I assume I'll take a loss if Lightning looks like a dinosaur compared to CT, but that is why I would sell. Hopefully Lightning is the better truck and I just save the headache, but who knows at this point?

What if my CT is ready 7 months after I get my Lightning (doubtful!)? There is no reason I shouldn't be able to sell, if I want a new vehicle. If the stipulation was no sale over my cost, I'm absolutely fine with that.
The CT is no where near release the plant they're building the vehicles in still isn't completed. CT isn't even street legal at this point that being said I believe in Tesla to the point I have their stock but they're not delivering any trucks till the end off 2022 and that will be top of the line truck like Tesla always does.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
The CT is no where near release the plant they're building the vehicles in still isn't completed. CT isn't even street legal at this point that being said I believe in Tesla to the point I have their stock but they're not delivering any trucks till the end off 2022 and that will be top of the line truck like Tesla always does.
The CT windshield wiper alone needs at another 9 months of engineering refinement :LOL:

Royalist

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Wonder if this applies to people paying cash.
If you paid cash, you don't have to tell them anything. But Ford will need to be able to track the owner down, in case there is a recall.

Royalist

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
If you paid cash, you don't have to tell them anything. But Ford will need to be able to track the owner down, in case there is a recall.
Ok, but I don't have to respond to the recall haha, especially if I already sold it.
Sponsored