• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Selling Your Order or Plan to Sell Lightning?

GregL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport
Curious, given all the demand and such overall limited availability of cars and trucks in general, is anyone thinking about taking delivery of their Lightning and flipping it immediately for a profit? What do you think the market would bear? $20k over MSRP? More?

Please don't question the logic of buying to just sell, this is purely a hypothetical to see what folks think these will be worth in 2022 in the early market.
Sponsored

Jer1983

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
Occupation
Electrician
20k seems like the upper limit to me but who am I? Also I’d expect that to be a loaded platinum type of customer. There’s a lot of people that can blow 20k on stupid shit and not miss a drop of sleep. Part of why cars cost so much in this country, no one cares about the pro market

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I actually want the truck, but the extra opportunity cost from not reselling is something to consider. When taking delivery you will not cut a check for the scalper price, but you'll ultimately pay for it by keeping it and letting that "opportunity equity" pass you by. (Okay, I made up that term.)

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Seems to me if you resell it you would also have to take into consideration the buyer is loosing all the tax credits, so tack that on to the marked up price.

Sponsored

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
John Cena got in trouble a few years back for selling his Ford GT. It's a low production vehicle, and I doubt Ford will go through the effort of doing the same for Lightning models but it would be nice if there was some way to prevent price gougers from taking a preorder.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Ford is allowing dealers to add language to sale orders preventing resale for a year.
This would be great, but I don't know how the dealer could enforce this. Arbitrage is one of those free market things that piss people off, but it's not illegal.

EV truck demand is going to far outstrip the supply for a while, and there's no way to prevent flippers from claiming the current EV tax credit (consult with your tax attorney to confirm). People who decide to do this will make a lot of money, easily in the 15-20k range.

As @PA Lightning said, only the person that first titled the vehicle can claim the credit and you can't claim the credit if you decide to buy from a flipper. It doesn't matter whether the flipper holds the title for 1 second and never sits in the vehicle.

I've participated in arbitrage in scarce consumer goods like Xbox and other home electronics in my younger years to pay for college, so I can't really judge someone who would decide to do this. All I can say is that it's fun until you're the 'victim' of one of these schemes.

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (E4X), F-150 Lightning (Lariat ER)
This would be great, but I don't know how the dealer could enforce this. Arbitrage is one of those free market things that piss people off, but it's not illegal.

EV truck demand is going to far outstrip the supply for a while, and there's no way to prevent flippers from claiming the current EV tax credit (consult with your tax attorney to confirm). People who decide to do this will make a lot of money, easily in the 15-20k range.

As @PA Lightning said, only the person that first titled the vehicle can claim the credit and you can't claim the credit if you decide to buy from a flipper. It doesn't matter whether the flipper holds the title for 1 second and never sits in the vehicle.

I've participated in arbitrage in scarce consumer goods like Xbox and other home electronics in my younger years to pay for college, so I can't really judge someone who would decide to do this. All I can say is that it's fun until you're the 'victim' of one of these schemes.
Many states have upheld anti-scalping laws. While buyers may be able to win a case in some states, who's going to have the stomach to stand up against staff lawyers at dealerships and FoMoCo over the sale of a truck, a Bronco, or two? The first few hearings of a court case would eat all of their profits.

Sponsored

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Many states have upheld anti-scalping laws. While buyers may be able to win a case in some states, who's going to have the stomach to stand up against staff lawyers at dealerships and FoMoCo over the sale of a truck, a Bronco, or two? The first few hearings of a court case would eat all of their profits.
Exactly. And sometimes that's all a legal threat is, a way to deter you from even thinking about calling their bluff.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
But how would they monitor private party resale? I guess they could investigate listings on Autotrader and every title change through public records, but that seems a bit extreme and expensive.
Sponsored