• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Seemingly inexpensive NEMA 14/50 option may have just gotten pretty expensive afterall

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Explorer,C10
Does the Ford charger have jumper settings to select max charge rate?
The 48 amp hard wire job does. The mobile does not.

I have a Grizzl-E as it comes with a 24 ft cable. Also has switched amp settings.
Sponsored

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Had to google that as it sounds counterintuitive, but it's true.

I also learned that you cannot change the charge current from the vehicle, at least on the mache. This is also disappointing.
I find this a bit surprising not being possible with the Mach E as I have the ability in my 2nd generation Volt to be able to select the maximum current provided by the 110V mobile charger dependent on if it is connected to a 15A or 20A circuit. I never use the 110V mobile charger due to how slow it is and having a Level 2 charger in the garage, but it does have that flexibility.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Does the Ford charger have jumper settings to select max charge rate?
I hope so. I have a 60 amp circuit I plan to use on a 48amp EVSE. If the 100 amp Ford charger can be derated from 80 amps output to 48 amps I’ll save some money by not buying another charger.

Linuturk

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onitato.com
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Reservation
I got lucky with my garage. The panel is on the outside wall of the garage, and if you punch through the wall, it's on a midpoint in the side of the garage. I bought a Grizzl-E charger with a 25 foot cable, and I routed the cable overhead using bungee cords.

Let's me plug in the front left of my current vehicle, and it's a great spot for the Lightning.

Sponsored

gwrace14651

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Ford Excursion 4x4 PSD
We just had a new home completed in July of 2019. We have 225 amp service and three panels. Two outside and one in the garage. The 225 amp panel in the garage has room for additional double pole breakers and is on the side of the garage where we will be parking the EV. So it looks like we just need a short 6-10 foot run of conduit, #6 wire, wall plug and a 50 amp breaker to support a 40 amp charging station. Kinda wish I had this done when we built the custom home. I just need to figure out what tax incentives and rebates are available. Was thinking about 40 amp Juicebox.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
Why not get a 100A connection done since the Lightning can charge at 80A?

I managed to get 1/3 of my charging station paid for in 2019 thanks to a federal tax incentive, and I believe it's still available.

Edit:
So the Ford Mobile charger tops out at 32 amps i believe. Why would you spend the extra money for only 8 amps? Does that add up to a meaningful decrease in charge time?
They don't intend on using the mobile charger but instead they'll use a Juicebox.

Edit 2: Big battery charges at 80A and the standard one charges at 48A max.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
So the Ford Mobile charger tops out at 32 amps i believe. Why would you spend the extra money for only 8 amps? Does that add up to a meaningful decrease in charge time?
"Smart" charger features. More resilient hardware.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
just need to figure out what tax incentives and rebates are available
To the end of this year there is a federal 30% tax credit. Also check with your utility. Some of them are offering big discounts/rebates.

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
To the end of this year there is a federal 30% tax credit. Also check with your utility. Some of them are offering big discounts/rebates.
And included in the credit is all the labor and additional hardware, not just the EVSE itself.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
"room for additional double pole breakers" Hopefully enough ampacity.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
24A will probably get you 10-12mi/hr of range. It's not really that bad unless you have a limited amount of time available to charge. If you get home at 6pm and leave at 7am the next morning you'll be getting ~130-150 miles of range. 32A will get you 33% more range per hour but it's probably not a huge deal if you can't get the 40A circuit where you need it. For the rare times where you need a several long trips in a short period of time there is always DC fast charging.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Does that add up to a meaningful decrease in charge time
It is for the most part a purely mathematical question. For the most part the charge is a linear plot.
Some higher losses under very low charge settings.

Some people have mentioned that the NEC no longer allows EVSE's to be software controlled. They must be some mechanical setting beyond the reach of a user without tools.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd