• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Seemingly inexpensive NEMA 14/50 option may have just gotten pretty expensive afterall

MD56

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Have spent the last few days doing research on what the best charging option would be for my home. Was feeling pretty good about the NEMA 14/50 + Ford Mobile Charger option.
  • Already have a run of 240v in my garage and not being used by anything (y)
  • 240v leg ends essentially in the exact location where I'd want to spot the charger (y)
  • Simple matter of replacing standard 3 prong 240v appliance outlet with a $10 NEMA 14/15 (y)
Well all those good vibes kind of evaporated when i took a peek at my electrical panel
  • Hmm my 240v leg is running off of a 30amp breaker... Ford specs + Nema outlet are calling for a 50amp breaker and 6g conductor from the breaker to the outlet
  • The location of my panel is in the farthest location from the garage as you can get with my house
  • 6/3 Romex is like $5+ a foot currently :eek: ... rough calculation, that's about $500 just in wire cost!!!
It is what it is, but just kind of a gut punch because I'd thought I'd found a level 2 options on th cheap.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Have spent the last few days doing research on what the best charging option would be for my home. Was feeling pretty good about the NEMA 14/50 + Ford Mobile Charger option.
  • 240v leg ends essentially in the exact location where I'd want to spot the charger (y)
  • Simple matter of replacing standard 3 prong 240v appliance outlet with a $10 NEMA 14/15 (y)
Well all those good vibes kind of evaporated when i took a peek at my electrical panel
  • Hmm my 240v leg is running off of a 40amp breaker... Ford specs + Nema outlet are calling for a 50amp breaker and 6g conductor from the breaker to the outlet
  • The location of my panel is in the farthest location from the garage as you can get with my house
  • 8/3 Romex is roughly $5+ a foot currently :eek: ... rough calculation, that's about $500 just in wire cost!!!
It is what it is, but just kind of a gut punch because I'd thought I'd found a level 2 options on th cheap.
I would wait till more specs are published before making any decision + wire costs will come down as well.

RedWilly11

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT & 2021 Volvo XC60 T8 Recharge
Occupation
Higher Ed Research
  • Hmm my 240v leg is running off of a 40amp breaker... Ford specs + Nema outlet are calling for a 50amp breaker and 6g conductor from the breaker to the outlet
  • 8/3 Romex is roughly $5+ a foot currently :eek: ... rough calculation, that's about $500 just in wire cost!!!
I feel you! I recently had an electrician install a 50Amp breaker and run that expensive wire towards my garage door for a 240V receptacle. My total bill was $580 for the wire, the 50amp breaker, also had to get 2 2x20 breakers, and labor.

Hopefully it'll all be worth it when this truck eventually gets here. My wife's car is a PHEV, so we are using that receptacle for her car in the meantime.

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You could use a charger that pulls 32 Amps maximum. The Ford mobile charger is only capable of pulling 32 Amps even though it has a NEMA 14-50 connector on it. You could also use something like a JuiceBox 32. The larger issue would be if what was run to your outlet contains both the neutral and the ground or not. Whatever charger you use, it is going to need both hot wires, a neutral and a ground. You will need to consult with an installation electrician to confirm.

OP
OP

MD56

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Yeah without having to pull new wire i'm going to be capped at 30amps.

So that would be ok for a 14/15 outlet + the Ford mobile charger? Is there recommendation of a 50amp breaker assuming that other appliances may draw from that same run?

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
You could use a charger that pulls 32 Amps maximum. The Ford mobile charger is only capable of pulling 32 Amps even though it has a NEMA 14-50 connector on it. You could also use something like a JuiceBox 32. The larger issue would be if what was run to your outlet contains both the neutral and the ground or not. Whatever charger you use, it is going to need both hot wires, a neutral and a ground. You will need to consult with an installation electrician to confirm.
My JuiceBox is plugged into a 14-50 receptacle that’s hooked up to only the two hot wires and the ground wire. No neutral. Works just fine. Probably not to code though.

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yeah without having to pull new wire i'm going to be capped at 30amps.

So that would be ok for a 14/15 outlet + the Ford mobile charger? Is there recommendation of a 50amp breaker assuming that other appliances may draw from that same run?
You cannot use a breaker that is above the current rating of the cable installed. If the cable is 8 gauge copper, you will need to keep the circuit limited by the 40A breaker.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I'd ask how many miles do you expect to drive each day before you get too far along.

A lot of EVSE's have a jumper to adjust current. Not sure if the Ford 40A does or not.

In any case, I assume you could easily charge at 24A on a 30A circuit for your typical in town use.

I am able to replace 70 miles on a Bolt EV on 120VAC 12A overnight with time to spare. That would be about 30 F150 EV miles if my guess is somewhat close.

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
My JuiceBox is plugged into a 14-50 receptacle that’s hooked up to only the two hot wires and the ground wire. No neutral. Works just fine. Probably not to code though.
I looked up the JuiceBox wiring and installation requirements on the enel X website and it indicates as a footnote "The neutral wire is not used, but may need to be present in the receptacle." It appears that only the two hot wires and the ground are present in the plug pigtail to the JuiceBox, so the neutral is not necessary. The issue would be if you were to plug anything else into the 14-50 receptacle that required a neutral and it was not present.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
You don't need 50 amps of charging power. While you sleep for 10 hours a night you can top it off each night or charge it a full 10 hours as needed. Without knowing how many miles a day you drive, we can't provide an exact answer.

Sponsored

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Check to see if the wire is 10 gauge. If it is get a juicebox or ChargePoint flex that you can set for a max 24A draw. If you get lucky and find 8 gauge wire you can swap the breaker for a 40 and use the Ford EVSE at 32A.

This is what I’m doing. My garage had 2 30A 240 runs. Got a juicebox classic for $150 off Craigslist. Set it to max 24A and it’s been great. It’s only half as fast as the Lightning SR can charge. But it’s the cheapest way to go in your situation.

I’d agree to wait at this point. Once we know more about the 80A home
back up is when I plan to hire an electrician or do the work myself.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I happened to be in Home Depot today. You are right, Romex has gotten *crazy* expensive.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Isn't there a tax credit available for evse installation. Also state, local, and possibly utility incentives.
Even if there isn't.
Another 2k on top of a $40k+ vehicle shouldn't be a deal breaker.

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Looks like the original posting was edited to change the 40A breaker to a 30A breaker. In this case, you would need to install an EVSE that pulls 24A maximum if the wire between the 30A breaker and the outlet is 10 gauge instead of 8 gauge.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
Charging at 24A at home is nearly 6kW, that's not awful. You should be able to charge overnight as long as you haven't driven 150 miles or something.
Sponsored