• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

School me (us) on smart chargers

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Is there any advantage to Ford's 48A Connected Charge Station versus say Charge Point, JuiceBox, etc.? Assuming equivalent amperage is offered. I can get a $500 rebate from the utility for the CP, or JB smart chargers, so thinking that's the way to go.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Is there any advantage to Ford's 48A Connected Charge Station versus say Charge Point, JuiceBox, etc.? Assuming equivalent amperage is offered. I can get a $500 rebate from the utility for the CP, or JB smart chargers, so thinking that's the way to go.
ChargePoint gives you an option of hardwired or plug in. Initially Ford Charger had a number of issues, that have been resolved. If you're getting $500 rebate, that's definitely the way to go. I've had ChargePoint since last November and there have been no issues.

I am assuming that you are planning on standard battery. Because large battery already comes with Ford's 80A charger included.

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
The standard battery comes with the 32-amp Ford Mobile Charger. This will charger a standard battery overnight at 240V in 14 hours, which is good enough for me. What does a 48A smart charger give you other than additional amps (ie shorter charge time)? I assume the "smart" stands for something?

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
There is no advantage. Honestly if you’re doing basic daily point A to B driving and a few errands a 14-50 outlet and the supplied charger will be more than enough.

I have a Tesla Model X Long Range Plus and the supplied charge plugged into a 14-50 is more than adequate.

The smart feature chargers let you schedule charge start and stop times. It is my understanding that you will be able to do this in the Lightning, as you can in the Tesla without a smart charger.

The thing is if you can get a charger for free from your utility I would snag it and keep the plug in charger with your truck for when you spend a night a friend’s house that does not have a charger.

Last edited:

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
There is no advantage. Honestly if you’re doing basic daily point A to B driving and a few errands a 14-50 outlet and the supplied charger will be more than enough.

I have a Tesla Model X Long Range Plus and the supplied charge plugged into a 14-50 is more than adequate.

The smart feature chargers let you schedule charge start and stop times. It is my understanding that you will be able to do this in the Lightning, as you can in the Tesla without a smart charger.

The thing is if you can get a charger for free from your utility I would snag it and keep the plug in charger with your truck for when you spend a night a friends house that does not have a charger.
This is correct.

The OEM L1 charger that came with my Honda PHEV is in the trunk for travels & overnight stays at a hotel charger or public charger.

The L2 charger installed in my garage was paid for mostly by my utility company and is on a TOU (time of use) meter which lowers the $ per kWh.

I assume the Lightning will be programmable when to start and stop charging for those that use TOU.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
The standard battery comes with the 32-amp Ford Mobile Charger. This will charger a standard battery overnight at 240V in 14 hours, which is good enough for me. What does a 48A smart charger give you other than additional amps (ie shorter charge time)? I assume the "smart" stands for something?
It can schedule charging sessions, so you can plug in but it won't initiate charge until lower cost charging period for example. Utilities like to rebate "smart" chargers that feed them your charging times/rates over the internet connection.

When you get into public charging, "smart" allows access control, payment processing, group power limitations, etc.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
It can schedule charging sessions, so you can plug in but it won't initiate charge until lower cost charging period for example. Utilities like to rebate "smart" chargers that feed them your charging times/rates over the internet connection.

When you get into public charging, "smart" allows access control, payment processing, group power limitations, etc.

You nailed it. I am leaning toward the JuiceBox 48 because it also talks to Alexa. I have over 30 Alexa devices in my automated home o_O so why not one more? I will use my 80 at my cabin or sell it.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
You nailed it. I am leaning toward the JuiceBox 48 because it also talks to Alexa. I have over 30 Alexa devices in my automated home o_O so why not one more? I will use my 80 at my cabin or sell it.
"Alexa, warm up my truck". Do you know if there is vehicle integration to allow this?

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
"Alexa, warm up my truck". Do you know if there is vehicle integration to allow this?
If it's like the Mach E in this respect, you can schedule departure times in the vehicle and it will either warm or cool the vehicle so it's ready to go when you want. That will have nothing to do with what ever EVSE (charger) you choose to use

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pretty sure that ChargePoint also integrates with Alexa.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If I understand the advice, the Lightning PRo SR can be programmed to do the things a smart charger does, like schedule charge times off peak, limit charging to a set percent max. (which can be changed as needed, say 70% for daily commute, 90% for a longer trip or planned towing, etc) schedule a warm up on cold days, etc. But if I get a smart charger with a $500 subsidy take it and keep the 32A charger included in the purchase price for whenever needed. There is no benefit in Ford versus other brands 48A chargers. The smart chargers do the same clever things that the Lightning can be programmed to do.

Did I get that right?

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
If I understand the advice, the Lightning PRo SR can be programmed to do the things a smart charger does, like schedule charge times off peak, limit charging to a set percent max. (which can be changed as needed, say 70% for daily commute, 90% for a longer trip or planned towing, etc) schedule a warm up on cold days, etc. But if I get a smart charger with a $500 subsidy take it and keep the 32A charger included in the purchase price for whenever needed. There is no benefit in Ford versus other brands 48A chargers. The smart chargers do the same clever things that the Lightning can be programmed to do.

Did I get that right?
The smart chargers log your charging sessions and give you a much better picture of where your electricity is going. That's their advantage.

The truck has the capability to do the things you said as far as charging schedule etc.....

The other advantage of getting a 40a or a 48a "charger" is the increase in charging speed. Translating to less time to get to your scheduled charge limit

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs

Did I get that right?
Most likely correct that there won't be a benefit of Ford 48A EVSE over other 48A EVSE's. However, some of the functions you are referencing are vehicle programming versus EVSE programming. A level 2 EVSE won't know the vehicles charge percentage, can't initiate a vehicle warm-up through the wired communication ports, etc.

Some 48A EVSE's might even be better than the Ford one. For example, ChargePoint's cables stay more flexible in cold temperatures than most all others. There are other nuisances between brands like holster quality, display, warranty, UL listing.

However, if Ford is going to supply the same EVSE to fleet owners it is possible their devices will have functionality like Near Field Communication for credentialing built in, but that get's into speculation as I don't think an EVSE spec sheet has been published.

Then, it's a completely different story with the Ford 80A charger, which is what will enable direct vehicle-to-home (potentially vehicle-to-grid in the future) power. This functionality will work with the SR battery, it's just that the 80A charge has to be purchased separately. Again, no specifications published for this other than it being 80A.

Reactions: Joe
OP
OP

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for all of the input.

As follow up. I am thinking to wait until closer to when I expect to take delivery of the Lightning (probably late 2023, I'm guessing) to get the charger and risk (what I think is a low probability) that the rebate may not be available then. My thinking is that charger technology may improve in the next year or 2.....maybe not at the pace of battery technology, but appreciably.

Does it make sense to wait?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Did I get that right?
Don't forget that Ford and JuiceBox 48A charger cost $100 more than ChargePoint and Wallbox.
Sponsored