Scale mode bug?

Tronald

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 powerboost
Occupation
Professor
Hello, I just received my 2023 PB with bed scales. When using "scale mode" from the 12" screen, changes in weight cause the weight readings on the scale to move side-to-side. It seems like a bug, and that the scale readings should move up/ down (revealing higher or lower numbers). Also dosnt actually tare to zero. It just causes the numerical scale to re-center within the "visible" window. So scale mode is unusable.

Has anyone else seen this? Tried searching but didn't see this specific behavior reported. Seems like a programming bug (change in X position instead of change in Y position).

If my description isn't clear, I can post a pic.
Sponsored

zachaller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Powerboost Plat
I have the exact same issue it moves left to right and also seems to register around 1k lbs and resetting to zero button does nothing.

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
I do have the scale option and was just looking at it today. That does not sound like what mine does, but it isn't obvious to me what you are describing. Could you please post a picture?

60R

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Hybrid
I have this same issue. Scale has been a problem since delivery last month. This week the scale was recalibrated to remove aprox 600lb base when truck empty. I failed to mention the scale mode issue to dealer at time as I thought it would resolve with recalibration. I took pictures of the scale mode issue yesterday and will try to post.

Ford F-150 Scale mode bug? scale-no load

Ford F-150 Scale mode bug? scale with  load

OP
OP

Tronald

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 powerboost
Occupation
Professor
Yes, that is the behavior I see. Numbers should go up/down, but instead go side to side.

Sponsored

60R

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Hybrid
Follow up: The dealer had the truck yesterday to work on the scale bug. They were unable to come up with a solution and will consult with the field engineer for a fix.

Last edited:

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
Interesting that your onboard scales look different then mine. My has a colored graph thing and something that does go side to side? Or maybe thats a different scale?​

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
Interesting that your onboard scales look different then mine. My has a colored graph thing and something that does go side to side? Or maybe thats a different scale?​
That is not what mine looks like either. I recently updated the APIM, so I'll have to see if mine has changed and has the same issue. There are two different modes. One is the main display that looks like this:

Ford F-150 Scale mode bug? 1680627955071

There is also a horizontal scale mode and looks similar to the image below (not my picture) and works fine:

Ford F-150 Scale mode bug? 1680628217348

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I had a 'drive control fault, service required' light come on. It comes on every time I start the truck. Took it in a couple weeks or so ago and was told it's the ride height sensor failed.

My service advisor said the part is on back order. About 6-8 weeks out. He mentioned it's not a problem he's encountered a lot so believes it's on back order not due to supply but because Ford is making a change to the part and the new part isn't released yet.

Just thought that info might be relevant as there may be an issue with faulty ride height sensors.....

OP
OP

Tronald

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 powerboost
Occupation
Professor
@PatchManager - which screen do you have? The wide one (eg in xlt) or the tall one (eg in lariat). Maybe depends on that? Mine is xlt

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
@PatchManager - which screen do you have? The wide one (eg in xlt) or the tall one (eg in lariat). Maybe depends on that? Mine is xlt
XLT 302a and up all have the same 12" center display.
Lariat and up get the digital dash / gauge display.

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
I have both. The vertical scale comes up when I first enter the scale display. If I hit the menu icon, I can select Scale Mode to get the horizontal scale.

Ford F-150 Scale mode bug? 1680630386645

60R

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Hybrid
I took the truck in last week for the dealer to troubleshoot the scale issue with no luck. The final word was that Ford was aware of the issue and would address in a future update. This afternoon I was in the truck and was checking the weight of a load. I switched over to the scale mode and the display had changed and seem to be working as designed. I stepped out of truck and reset scale. When I got back in it registered my weight. I checked my FordPass for an update message and there was one from yesterday. It was update 4.2.2.2.

OP
OP

Tronald

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 powerboost
Occupation
Professor
Amazing! My dealership was told that I need to come in and have modules in my truck updated (and it would take all day)... but if I get 4.2.2.2 before then, maybe I can skip all that.

OP
OP

Tronald

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 powerboost
Occupation
Professor
Dealership trchnician updated some modules today including the APIM. Scale mode works now (starts near zero, can be re-zeroed, and appears to add weight accurately). Seems to be fixed!
Sponsored