• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Here's an example - Just checked the Walmart in DC, as I was thinking about what it would be like to take the Lightning to my daughter's house in Reston from the Virginia Eastern Shore - can't plan on quite making it in cold weather in either our MX or the incoming Lightning (230 miles is too much in subfreezing weather even in our 325-mile rated MX, plus she has no charging option at her house so we need to charge to park, return, etc.) - we have a choice of seven Superchargers on this route, so no issue in the Tesla. The EA site at the DC Walmart currently shows three CCS 150 pylons, with two unavailable (possibly in use), but the latest plugshare app comment is: "GMQ; Volvo XC40 Recharge 2021; 62 Kilowatts; Tower -02 is out of service. Tower -01 did not have the payment device working. Tower-03 initiated using a credit card, but not with the EA app."

So I switch over to Bowie Town Center, also along the route, with 3 CCS 150's, and find this comment from yesterday "Jim; Kia Niro EV 2020; Unit #2 wouldn't start. Needed to move to unit #1" - so that's a maybe.

Checking other sites along the DC beltway and out to Reston and Chantilly shows similar connectivity or pylon down issues, right now or reported in recent days. The nearby Superchargers show no such issues on Plugshare.

That's pretty much what we see with a lot of EA locations - maybe significant user error involved, maybe issues with software associated with so many different OEM platforms, but still, not seamless, and leading to range anxiety, even for experienced EV drivers. This will get better, but be aware it is not as easy as some would have us believe - from a person who has been driving EV for nearly ten years and over 225,000 miles, in 48 states, Northern Mexico (have crossed every Mexican border crossing between via motorcycle or EV, including Guatemala & Belize), and Canada - my wife and I take chances, push limits, will do so in the Lighting too, especially towing, but it isn't quite as simple as plug and play.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Spot-checking the I-95 corridor, there are predominately 2 or 4 EA chargers rated 150 or above
According to EA, they have 2,896 chargers at 684 sites, so the avearage is a bit over 4.
Concentrating at Walmarts is just sad compared to most Supercharger locales
the best you can do is patronize Walmart's Subway franchise
Not sure why this disdain for Walmart, and also what about Walmart Starbucks franchise? Or Walmart in the middle of a large shopping center, where coffee shops and/or restaurants are within walking distance. We can all play the map game. I just looked at the route between Phoenix and Encino (in anticipation of my trip next month). That's about 400 miles and there were 22 EA locations. Only 6 were Walmarts. 2 had 3 chargers, 1 had 10, and 1 had 6. The rest had 4 each. I don't expect any major issues finding chargers.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I have the Tesla Chademo adapter. Do you suggest buying the Lectron? What are its comparative advantages?
Reason I mentioned the Chademo is there is only one Chademo plug at each EA charging station. If that is offline then you are stuck and you related of this happening to you multiple times. Those of us who have always gotten a charge out of EA, iPace, MachE and my Tesla, all can use the CCS1 chargers. So just having a Chademo would explain your bad experience vs. our good experiences charging at EA.

On whether to get the Lectron CCS1, it's as costly as Tesla's Chademo, $500+. If you have situations where a CCS1 charger is more convenient or it is a insurance charger on a particular trip, then you might want to get it.

I got it to check out the EA charging system for charging the F150EV. If you are planning on getting a CCS1 EV (there's a sweet red Taycan Turbo S in at Seattle Porsche, just $270k) and want to check out the CCS1 chargers you'd be using, that would make sense.

Last edited:

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

gwrace14651

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Ford Excursion 4x4 PSD
We spent the last 15 years pulling our 35' Artic Fox bunk trailer all over the US behind a bullet proofed 2004 Ford Excursion 4x4 PSD. We just sold the trailer and have no intentions of ever going back to RVing. It's become a rich mans game with higher equipment costs, camping, fuel and maintenance expenses. We traveled all over the country when we were kids with my parents in everything from a tent camper, truck camper, Argosy, Air stream travel trailers and several motor homes. Back then it was the cheapest form of travel. My dad bought a brand new suburban with 454 V8 for 8900. Travel Trailers were under 10K. Campgrounds very reasonable and you could bring all your pets. Much has changed over the years. The only thing we plan to pull with the Lightning is our 4000lb Yamaha Jet Boat. Can't wait to give it a try.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
According to EA, they have 2,896 chargers at 684 sites, so the avearage is a bit over 4.

Not sure why this disdain for Walmart, and also what about Walmart Starbucks franchise? Or Walmart in the middle of a large shopping center, where coffee shops and/or restaurants are within walking distance. We can all play the map game. I just looked at the route between Phoenix and Encino (in anticipation of my trip next month). That's about 400 miles and there were 22 EA locations. Only 6 were Walmarts. 2 had 3 chargers, 1 had 10, and 1 had 6. The rest had 4 each. I don't expect any major issues finding chargers.
First, no Walmart has a Starbucks inside it. Learn a little before posting. Target and Starbucks have a partnership that precludes Starbucks from ever going into a Walmart. Plus, it simply isn't a demographic fit for Starbucks. You can buy certain Starbucks products on Walmart shelves, but there will not be a Starbucks (or any other coffee cafe) at Walmart.

I own numerous Walmart locations, none has a Starbucks. I love Walmart as a tenant, do not disdain them in any way, except they are not exactly a good cafe or food stop, unlike many Supercharger locales. Second, most Walmarts are NOT in large shopping centers with other tenants. In fact, since about ten years ago, except for situations where they have no alternative, Walmart will specifically NOT go into centers with other tenancies, except as a stand-alone store physically separated from the others.

I have been involved in many Walmart lease negotiations from the landlord/developer side. Co-tenancy has become a huge issue for them, and they now insist on controlling all other uses - they will no longer allow competing bank branches or other food purveyors, fast food franchises, home stores, or many other formats, such as auto supply or electronics stores - basically anything they sell or might sell in the future, which is pretty much everything.

Lastly, you list the number of chargers as though all EA chargers are equal. You must distinguish between DCFC and regular chargers. Most EA chargers are not DCFC - try counting only CCS and CHAdeMO chargers - that count is FAR fewer - in no case that I have seen or found on EA's map does EA have as many DCFC pylons as does Tesla in the same spot.

Last edited:

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
There are a bunch of EAs at Targets, Krogers, Albertsons, BoA, even a truck stop on my list.
but EA's PRIMARY nationwide partner is Walmart - decidedly downscale - literally as low as you can go in the retail demographic before dollar stores. The places you mention are exceptions - the EA contract with Walmart requires them go there first - they only go to an alternate location IF there is no walmart within five miles of the target charging spot - which is why there are so many times one must venture a few miles on/off the interstate exits to charge.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First, no Walmart has a Starbucks inside it. Learn a little before posting. Target and Starbucks have a partnership that precludes Starbucks from ever going into a Walmart. Plus, it simply isn't a demographic fit for Starbucks. You can buy certain Starbucks products on Walmart shelves, but there will not be a Starbucks (or any other coffee cafe) at Walmart.
I could be wrong about that, but I could have sworn that I saw a Starbucks in a Walmart.
Lastly, you list the number of chargers as though all EA chargers are equal. You must distinguish between DCFC and regular chargers. Most EA chargers are not DCFC - try counting only CCS and CHAdeMO chargers - that count is FAR fewer - in no case that I have seen or found on EA's map does EA have as many DCFC pylons as does Tesla in the same spot.
Did count. See here:
Ford F-150 Lightning RV Trailer Towing With F-150 Lightning - Considerations & Discussions 1638137716046

Pretty sure that 2,896 is a lot greater than 116.
but EA's PRIMARY nationwide partner is Walmart - decidedly downscale - literally as low as you can go in the retail demographic before dollar stores. The places you mention are exceptions - the EA contract with Walmart requires them go there first - they only go to an alternate location IF there is no walmart within five miles of the target charging spot - which is why there are so many times one must venture a few miles on/off the interstate exits to charge.
Whatever! 16 out of 22 is not exactly an exception. Also, as I said before, many Walmarts are located in large shopping areas with lots of other options within walking distance. One EA location I visited has 18 eating/drinking places nearby, including a standalone Starbucks. The same area also hosts Supercharger, so I assume you'd approve.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
the EA contract with Walmart requires them go there first - they only go to an alternate location IF there is no walmart within five miles of the target charging spot
Going to have to call BS on that. They may have the right of first refusal or not, but they don't exercise all that much. For example, there is a Kroger future EA site (it's nearly complete), and there are 3 separate Walmarts within 5 miles of it.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
EVGo has the Walmarts around here.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
It's nice that they are going up, but looking at EA's coming soon map leaves much to be desired.

Ford F-150 Lightning RV Trailer Towing With F-150 Lightning - Considerations & Discussions 1638358182539

They've got clumps in the NE and SW, but there's little expansion throughout the rest of the country.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I guess it's possible car companies and charging companies have been waiting the free money game.

I thought I read that some EV corridor in Texas was in one of those bills. Would like to see some on I-37.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I guess it's possible car companies and charging companies have been waiting the free money game.

I thought I read that some EV corridor in Texas was in one of those bills. Would like to see some on I-37.
In Texas, I there's currently good coverage between Dallas and Austin, but there could be a few more between Dallas and Houston. Then there could be a lot more going west out to El Paso. Right now you pretty much have to stop at the available charger whether you want to or not. If for some reason a location is completely unavailable, you could be in trouble. Having stations every 50 miles or so would give enough options and a back up plan.
Sponsored