• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW, Fiat
Did you see the Car and Driver Internet post about the Lightning? It says that the towing will remove around 60% of the range. When I looked around, that is what I believe would be correct. The article says less than 100 mile range expected. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36481590/ford-f150-lightning-range-towing/ Of course, we have not idea what Cd will do. I have an Airstream but I have never towed anything else to compare it to.
They make a lot of assumptions in that article. In some cases the range may be reduced by 60%, but I doubt that the impact will be that much for a 1600 pound aerodynamic Scamp.
1) They say that EVs typically have a range 20% below EPA ratings at 75mph. That is true mostly for Teslas. InsideEVs tested the range for the Mach-E at 70mph and exceeded the EPA rating by 15 miles. Ford appears to be more honest about the expected range.
2) They say that testing towing range, which I assume was a Tesla or other small hatchback, with a 3859 pound boat reduced the range in half. Teslas or other teardrop shaped EVs have a much smaller battery than the Lightning and get the same range by using less kWh per mile. If a Tesla uses 250wh/m and the Lightning uses 500wh/m, then adding a trailer that requires 250wh/m to pull will reduce the Tesla range by 50%, but that same trailer will reduce the Lightning range by 33%.
3) A boat is optimized for less resistance in water. A boat on a trailer is probably not as aerodynamic and light as a fiberglass RV.

If the Lightning exceeds the EPA range by 5% same as the Mach-E, rather than come in at 20% under the range, and the energy required to pull a 1600 pound Scamp is less than 250wh/m, then I may only see a reduction of 25%. With an Airstream Basecamp, the range may be better.
Sponsored

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
I tow an 8500-lb fifth wheel and that cuts range by 50%. Aero makes a big difference so yes at 70 mph you’ll see a big hit to range. Even slowing to 65 would help significantly.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Until either Ford releases information or people start toget hands on towing tests with the vehicle we aren't going to know. Even then, it's going to be highly dependent on the size, shape, and weight of the trailer along with the terrain, wind conditions, and driving speed. You and I could both have the same exact airstream trailer and load it to be essentially the same weight but if you're driving on a hilly country road at 55mph and I'm driving on a flat Texas freeway at 70mph we are going to have different range.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Teslas or other teardrop shaped EVs have a much smaller battery than the Lightning and get the same range by using less kWh per mile.
This also leads into the shape of those vehicles affecting airflow. Those EVs are designed with extreme aerodynamic capabilities in mind, so adding any kind of towing will drastically mess with the range. Meanwhile the F-150 is going to be shaped like your typical pickup truck, which is already inefficiently designed. I have a feeling that the reduction may not be as dramatic just from that point alone.

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
Just remember we aren’t starting with zero information. This is an F-150 and it’s shaped like an F-150. If the ICE version uses say 80% more energy when towing then the Lightning should be close to that as well.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Just remember we aren’t starting with zero information. This is an F-150 and it’s shaped like an F-150. If the ICE version uses say 80% more energy when towing then the Lightning should be close to that as well.
From what I see in Facebook groups, most people towing a camper with a half-ton truck get about half the mpg when towing. Obviously it will vary based on the individual trailer, where you drive, and how fast you drive. Slowing down honestly will help a lot, drive 60-65 instead of 75+

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
Chiming in. This is my 2nd EV (my first was an 18 Leaf SL), and now i have a 21 Model S with the dumb yoke steering wheel. I dont think it is going to be very comfortable doing the RV/Lightning combo (although i preordered both the cybertruck/lightning).

1. Cold weather reduces range significantly. In my leaf, i was getting almost 40% reduction.
2. Weight is a huge part. I have a 7000lb RV loaded, and my fuel economy literally worsens to almost half. I cannot see the Lightening not also HALF in range as well.
3. The charging infrastructure is terrible. .Tesla did say they will open up the charing to all, but this is why i bought the Tesla Model S instead of great EV's like Rivian, Mach-Eetc... Having the ability to supercharge is literally the same as filling up gas. After tryign to charge my leaf at chademo/level 2 chargers, it plain SUCKS. Not to mention a lot of places only offer like 2-3 chargers versus a supercharger.
4. I still have not read anything about payload on the new lightning. Is it going to be signifantly less than ICE vehicles?
5. DCFC is limited. ONce you charge up to 80%, it DOES NOT FAST CHARGE anymore to protect the battery. After 80% the charge speed drops back to level 2. This means your range is going to be reduced to 80% of the stated 300mile range.
6. DCFC is not good for the battery if done so many times over. Even with my tesla, it is not good to repeatedly supercharge as it degrades the battery.

I really want an EV towing my RV, driving only 150-200miles at a time then waiting ot charge is nasty, if you are on a long road trip.

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
From what I see in Facebook groups, most people towing a camper with a half-ton truck get about half the mpg when towing. Obviously it will vary based on the individual trailer, where you drive, and how fast you drive. Slowing down honestly will help a lot, drive 60-65 instead of 75+
An example is my parent's 2017 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2.4L four with 1 ton towing capacity, it normally gets 27-31mpg at 75mph (depending if you are going into the wind or not). With a 9 foot utility trailer (800lb capacity) with maybe 200lbs of stuff (two wheel chairs, three suitcases), with the mesh tailgate up was getting 15mpg due to the wind resistance of the tailgate. I Put the tailgate down onto the trailer, and fuel economy went up to 22mpg (at 65-70).

On my 2006 F-150 XLT 5.4L, I had a 10' U-haul trailer on it, and was getting 12mpg (normally 16) at 75mph.

OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
An example is my parent's 2017 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2.4L four with 1 ton towing capacity, it normally gets 27-31mpg at 75mph (depending if you are going into the wind or not). With a 9 foot utility trailer (800lb capacity) with maybe 200lbs of stuff (two wheel chairs, three suitcases), with the mesh tailgate up was getting 15mpg due to the wind resistance of the tailgate. I Put the tailgate down onto the trailer, and fuel economy went up to 22mpg (at 65-70).

On my 2006 F-150 XLT 5.4L, I had a 10' U-haul trailer on it, and was getting 12mpg (normally 16) at 75mph.
Just wondering whether full tonneau cover would bring tow range back up some?

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
Just wondering whether full tonneau cover would bring tow range back up some?
I have a soft tonneau cover on my truck (This one here). It makes zero difference in fuel economy with it there, or not there.

I decided that its only useful purpose is to keep prying eyes from looking at what might be in my bed, and I can lock the tailgate latch, which helps even more.

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I really want an EV towing my RV, driving only 150-200miles at a time then waiting ot charge is nasty, if you are on a long road trip.
Even nastier is hearing your favorite campsite burned up due to climate change because people weren't willing to take a bit longer getting there and back.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
I tow an 8500-lb fifth wheel and that cuts range by 50%. Aero makes a big difference so yes at 70 mph you’ll see a big hit to range. Even slowing to 65 would help significantly.
Remember that you also gain regenerative braking. This won't matter much for interstate travel but it will for lots of backroads where campers and boats are towed.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
3. The charging infrastructure is terrible. .Tesla did say they will open up the charing to all, but this is why i bought the Tesla Model S instead of great EV's like Rivian, Mach-Eetc... Having the ability to supercharge is literally the same as filling up gas. After tryign to charge my leaf at chademo/level 2 chargers, it plain SUCKS. Not to mention a lot of places only offer like 2-3 chargers versus a supercharger.
I have a Leaf as well. The charging infrastructure and time to charge on CHAdeMO does suck.

Not so for fast CCS. I have a Mustang Mach E and it makes road-tripping a breeze. There are now more non-Tesla charging locations than there are Tesla locations and I have never had to wait to charge my Mach E.

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
I have a Leaf as well. The charging infrastructure and time to charge on CHAdeMO does suck.

Not so for fast CCS. I have a Mustang Mach E and it makes road-tripping a breeze. There are now more non-Tesla charging locations than there are Tesla locations and I have never had to wait to charge my Mach E.
INteresting, i struggle to find any suitable charging places in TOronto. But pulled up to my first tesla supercharge ( my model is is only 1 month old), and bam, charged stupid fast, no wait.

EV is the future.. I have high hopes for the lightning. You cannot understand what it feels like to floor the model S.. 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds (cant imagine what the plaid feels like).

I love my F150 - i find it to be a lot more comfortable than the model S, and feels better built, with less bugs, but to have an electrictified F150, OMG sign me up.. If the range was extended to 600miles, and payload is up to 2000lbs, i would dump this f150 in a heartbeat.
Sponsored