• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I think you have a well thought out plan; I just don’t think I could pull that off until we both retire. We live in the North Texas area so while I still work our trips are Bee-line to the destination to allow for more time there.

Most or our major destinations are a pretty good distance from where we live.
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Remember... If you Dcfc to only 80% then you really only have about 70 miles SR or 100 miles ER after your initial charge. with the current infrastructure this is going to be troublesome. The good thing is there will be more chargers added constantly.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I think you have a well thought out plan; I just don’t think I could pull that off until we both retire. We live in the North Texas area so while I still work our trips are Bee-line to the destination to allow for more time there.

Most or our major destinations are a pretty good distance from where we live.
I live in north Texas and the nice thing is we have tons of lakes and campgrounds within a 100 mile radius.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I live in north Texas and the nice thing is we have tons of lakes and campgrounds within a 100 mile radius.
I call us “RV Reservists: one wekend a month, plus 2 weeks once a year”

Local weekend trips are what we do most of the time. Once a year we take a major trip. This year is was a 16 day trip to Yellowstone & Grand Teton NPs. We spent 10 days there, so to/from were 3 8-9 hour days each way.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I call us “RV Reservists: one wekend a month, plus 2 weeks once a year”

Local weekend trips are what we do most of the time. Once a year we take a major trip. This year is was a 16 day trip to Yellowstone & Grand Teton NPs. We spent 10 days there, so to/from were 3 8-9 hour days each way.
You could always rent a truck for that one trip.

Ford could really make customers happy and offer a deal on renting an ice truck for that once a year trip or maybe give like 5-7 days of free use of an ice truck for those one off trips that need more range.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Farmer/Hillbilly
I think the most adventurous part for me is going to be getting the fifth wheel hitch installed, just because the frame design is different from the ICE/Hybrid F-150.

The electric part of it I’m honestly not too concerned about. Plan on range being cut by 50% and I shouldn’t be disappointed. I’m sure trying to DC fast charge with a trailer attached might get interesting, but I’ve had quite a few interesting experiences over the years getting into gas stations with the trailer attached too.
The fifth wheel question is one that you really need to investigate. The hitch plate needs to be mounted over the rear axle, which is right over the rear electric motor mount cage. Look closely at the published cut-away pictures. Will there be any third-party manufacturers willing to market what you need and how would this affect warranties? Given the tight space under how easy would installation be?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
@Sdctcher I think your analysis in the OP is pretty close. I’m betting the efficiency reduction won’t be as bad as 50% but 150 miles is probably about right for between 10-80% or 20-80% charges. Also, reps at two different Lightning events have confirmed the bed and frunk outlets will operate while charging and while driving, so a Daisy Chain should work fine at campgrounds.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
@SdctcherAlso, reps at two different Lightning events have confirmed the bed and frunk outlets will operate while charging and while driving, so a Daisy Chain should work fine at campgrounds.
Oh boy, cooking crockpot meals in the frunk while driving on the way to a tailgate might be epic.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
@Sdctcher Also, reps at two different Lightning events have confirmed the bed and frunk outlets will operate while charging and while driving, so a Daisy Chain should work fine at campgrounds.
It definitely wouldn't make sense that you couldn't charge your tools while driving.

OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Farmer/Hillbilly
Oh boy, cooking crockpot meals in the frunk while driving on the way to a tailgate might be epic.
Right next to the electric cooler full of Buds.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Farmer/Hillbilly

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
The fifth wheel question is one that you really need to investigate. The hitch plate needs to be mounted over the rear axle, which is right over the rear electric motor mount cage. Look closely at the published cut-away pictures. Will there be any third-party manufacturers willing to market what you need and how would this affect warranties? Given the tight space under how easy would installation be?
I've reached out to B&W Hitches and they aren't sure if they can do it or not, only because they haven't seen the actual truck. Meaning hands on. I am confident they can do it, mostly because I really need a goose neck hitch.

Probably the only good thing to come from my late reservation is someone else will likely try this before I get my truck. :cool:

Twg1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F150 Screw, 2019 Camaro ZLE
Occupation
Engineer
Something else to consider, most DCFC stations are on perimeter of curbed parking lots. From a layout perspective, they are not conducive to accommodating a vehicle with trailer in tow. You may have to anticipate unhooking just to get to the charger.

Hali_Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
I plan to RV with the Lightning as soon as I can get my hands on it. My trailer is 27' and 5100lbs, and the furthest campground we go to each year is 200 miles away. I'm hoping to make it there in one go, as they have ev chargers on site, but if I have to stop for a charge we'll just eat at the same time.

Many of the closer sites we like aren't serviced, so this truck is going to be a game changer for those.

machz

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I've reached out to B&W Hitches and they aren't sure if they can do it or not, only because they haven't seen the actual truck. Meaning hands on. I am confident they can do it, mostly because I really need a goose neck hitch.

Probably the only good thing to come from my late reservation is someone else will likely try this before I get my truck. :cool:

Pin weight on any 5th wheel is going to exceed the payload of a lightning. I wouldn't try to pull a 5th wheel with any 1/2 ton in the first place.

I think the bigger problem will be that the 5th wheel will almost guarantee you will be over payload. Ford is shooting for 2k and if they can hit it that will be on a base model. Add options and you will eat that up fast. I would bet most will have a payload of 1500-1600. Take a small 5th wheel with a GVW of 7500 - 23% you are at a pin weight of over 1700 and now you have to add people and stuff in the truck.
Sponsored