Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

Bravo36

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch FX 4
Occupation
Retired Fed LEO, Current Federal Contractor
Dropped mine off at the dealership today to get this rectified. It was part of the buying process and they agreed to it beforehand. Body shop manager came over and looked at it and simply said "My God, what the hell happened to this". Truck was bought off the lot the first week of March.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Yes, I am one of the many that have a rusty new Ford. I just picked up a 2021 F-150 Powerboost on March 19th that I factory ordered in January, and it has more rust on the rear differential than my 2018 F-150. It has been reported to the dealer that I purchased it from. Not sure if they will do anything.
I looked at the 2021 F150s in stock at the dealership this last week and found that all of them had rust on them. Some just a little rust and others quite extensive.
Report it to Ford and get a case number start
Yes, I am one of the many that have a rusty new Ford. I just picked up a 2021 F-150 Powerboost on March 19th that I factory ordered in January, and it has more rust on the rear differential than my 2018 F-150. It has been reported to the dealer that I purchased it from. Not sure if they will do anything.
I looked at the 2021 F150s in stock at the dealership this last week and found that all of them had rust on them. Some just a little rust and others quite extensive.
I would recommend starting a case with Ford. A good dealer will likely address it.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
Report it to Ford and get a case number start

I would recommend starting a case with Ford. A good dealer will likely address it.
This is exactly what happened with mine. The service manager opened a case with Ford and then the dealer cleaned and (re?)painted the axle and diff. They did not repaint the axle ends, however there was very little rust there to begin with.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
I recently took delivery of my F-150 Platinum hybrid. Luckily no rust. Mine did not have the spray in liner so I took it to my local Line-X dealer. I just happened to mention to him about the issue Ford was having with Rust. This Line-X dealer apparently is in negation with the local ford dealer to remove rust and do undercoating on many of the new F-150s in stock at the local ford dealership.. I found this very interesting.
At least it sounds like your local dealer is trying to be proactive about the issue. They seem to have realized something that Corporate has not: People are not happy about dropping +$70k on vehicles with rusty undercarriages.

Last edited:

Sponsored

born-2-run

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150
Occupation
Realtor
Wow that seems ridiculous for any vehicle these days let alone $75k truck. Can anything be done by Ford?? Or are we all stuck dealing with this on our own?
It's total BS. I'm $82K out the door for the new platinum. With 700 miles I happen to look underneath and it's all rusted. Dealler says, "We didn't build it, we just sell them." I'm NOT HAPPY.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
It's total BS. I'm $82K out the door for the new platinum. With 700 miles I happen to look underneath and it's all rusted. Dealler says, "We didn't build it, we just sell them." I'm NOT HAPPY.
Open a case with Ford. Keep pressing your dealer as well at same time. Worse case scenario you would need to start buyback or hire an attorney if you aren’t happy. OR you could handle it yourself and put the dealer on blast so they don’t get any more business.

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
Post some photos of rusted areas especially the exhaust components, the brake lines, fuel lines etc. on this site, send photos to your dealer start a claim with Ford, look up your state "lemon law" and go at it.

dylank

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Yes it was submitted to ford yesterday service said could take a week or two for a response. I'm sure they will address it.
I purchased a 2021 F-150 Platinum, on 04/13/21 with an assembly date in February – I can confirm this is still an issue. Have you heard back from Ford at all about this?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
have you heard back on this at all?
The dealer did take care of it. Ford rep just emailed back and forth. Ford didn't want to volunteer to do much. Whole experience was ridiculous!

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
you have to wonder how the heck did this even happened and why didn't ford deal with it. Even if it is minor it really looks bad on Ford to have any rust on a new vehicle.
The rust aside, their inaction to fix or replace is simply unacceptable and bad business. This brings back memories of Eastern Airlines.
Sponsored