Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I am having the dealer/ford buy back the truck and get me one without rust either the axil or exhaust. Ford is asking the dealer to send the exhaust back to the factory. Looked at a Platinum today to determine if I want to stay with the Lariat or get the Platinum... the one I looked at also had all major components rusted.
If they are asking for it back, why not just replace it and have you keep the truck, paint the axle, save face.....strange decision making....

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
If they are asking for it back, why not just replace it and have you keep the truck, paint the axle, save face.....strange decision making....
The plan is as follows: They (the dealer) buy back my truck, I order another one. This is via an authorized special deal from Ford/Factory. NOTE: I did not get to order this particular Lariat. It was in stock and was the color I would have ordered and it had most of the "options' I would have ordered but not all, so I bought it anyway.

Now assuming this "Buy Back" goes as it should without them trying rip me off, then I will order either the same Lariat with 502A High; except with some additional items such as as the Power Boost engine with 7.2kw gen/set, vs. the 3.5 EcoBoost, the B&O Unleased vs. the Standard B&O sound system and the Center Arm Rest Work Station. Also would add the Active Park and Co-pilot 360 Active 2.0 prep package. Actually the two last items I was told were on the truck but in fact were not! The sales kid did not know anything about the truck except for the phone app.

Now with these options added to a Lariat I may be better off getting the King Ranch or Limited vs. the Lariat. I like the Lariat with the Star White two tone exterior and black interior. I also like the chrome bumpers and wheel set up. Call me old school, but that is what I prefer.

The only modification I have done so far other than fill the truck with personal and work junk is that I added the Retrax Pro XR retractable tonneau cover, which I really like a lot, good quality item. The dealer will move that from this one to new one, if and when will see.

Now what loaner will I get, that is a question and they will be asking for me to pay mileage, so I don't want to continue driving my Lariat racking up the miles at 50 cents per/mile... I know that is total rip off but they make the rules, unless this all goes South and my attorneys take over.

I really like my new truck except for the rust and corrosion. I traded in my 2010 F-150 Lariat that I bought new with lots of options after driving it for 170,000 miles and no rust at all on it. I did like that that 2010 truck but the new one is certainly head and shoulders above the 2010 model.

I do not tow anything much at all maybe a light weight trailer once or twice per year. So I am not sure if I need the Tow Tech or the Trailer Tow Package. Any thoughts?

Just hope the new one comes in without rust... Now that Ford is absolutely aware of these rust & corrosion issues I am sure the one I get will be rust free. Ford has requested the dealer to return the old exhaust on mine, put a new one on and sell it as used low miles. I have approx. 2,000 miles on it now.

The reasons I do not want to keep my rusted truck is two fold: One the entire exhaust looks like a 20 year old junk yard truck. And to properly remove the rear axil and remove rust and paint is not something that can be done absolutely correctly outside of using factory jigs etc. I did not spend North of 60k to have a used truck with corrosion going on under it. The fuel and brake lines are also corroded as are the other "white" metal parts under the truck. So for me it's either a new truck now or after winning the lawsuit and would much prefer to get this bad experience with a great truck behind me.

That said I looked at a Platinum yesterday in person at another dealership to check out the differences in the seats and feel that model would not be right for me. Possibly the KR or Limited maybe. Or stick with the Lariat with all the bells and whistles. Not sure yet.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The plan is as follows: They (the dealer) buy back my truck, I order another one. This is via an authorized special deal from Ford/Factory. NOTE: I did not get to order this particular Lariat. It was in stock and was the color I would have ordered and it had most of the "options' I would have ordered but not all, so I bought it anyway.

Now assuming this "Buy Back" goes as it should without them trying rip me off, then I will order either the same Lariat with 502A High; except with some additional items such as as the Power Boost engine with 7.2kw gen/set, vs. the 3.5 EcoBoost, the B&O Unleased vs. the Standard B&O sound system and the Center Arm Rest Work Station. Also would add the Active Park and Co-pilot 360 Active 2.0 prep package. Actually the two last items I was told were on the truck but in fact were not! The sales kid did not know anything about the truck except for the phone app.

Now with these options added to a Lariat I may be better off getting the King Ranch or Limited vs. the Lariat. I like the Lariat with the Star White two tone exterior and black interior. I also like the chrome bumpers and wheel set up. Call me old school, but that is what I prefer.

The only modification I have done so far other than fill the truck with personal and work junk is that I added the Retrax Pro XR retractable tonneau cover, which I really like a lot, good quality item. The dealer will move that from this one to new one, if and when will see.

Now what loaner will I get, that is a question and they will be asking for me to pay mileage, so I don't want to continue driving my Lariat racking up the miles at 50 cents per/mile... I know that is total rip off but they make the rules, unless this all goes South and my attorneys take over.

I really like my new truck except for the rust and corrosion. I traded in my 2010 F-150 Lariat that I bought new with lots of options after driving it for 170,000 miles and no rust at all on it. I did like that that 2010 truck but the new one is certainly head and shoulders above the 2010 model.

I do not tow anything much at all maybe a light weight trailer once or twice per year. So I am not sure if I need the Tow Tech or the Trailer Tow Package. Any thoughts?

Just hope the new one comes in without rust... Now that Ford is absolutely aware of these rust & corrosion issues I am sure the one I get will be rust free. Ford has requested the dealer to return the old exhaust on mine, put a new one on and sell it as used low miles. I have approx. 2,000 miles on it now.

The reasons I do not want to keep my rusted truck is two fold: One the entire exhaust looks like a 20 year old junk yard truck. And to properly remove the rear axil and remove rust and paint is not something that can be done absolutely correctly outside of using factory jigs etc. I did not spend North of 60k to have a used truck with corrosion going on under it. The fuel and brake lines are also corroded as are the other "white" metal parts under the truck. So for me it's either a new truck now or after winning the lawsuit and would much prefer to get this bad experience with a great truck behind me.

That said I looked at a Platinum yesterday in person at another dealership to check out the differences in the seats and feel that model would not be right for me. Possibly the KR or Limited maybe. Or stick with the Lariat with all the bells and whistles. Not sure yet.
I dIdnt see a reason going above the Lariat high after driving both. Everything that's plastic in one is just a different style of plastic. Unless you want the power tailgate and running boards, don't see the point of going above the Lariat high. It wasn't about money for me, I could afford whatever, just seemed like the plat was an appearance package, not a significant difference in fit, finish, quality. Seats felt the same to me too. Very happy with my truck and not having active rust, but I can tell it will rust, so will be painting it myself (don't trust anyone else to do it right).

gspete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I too have a rusty rear diff. and the dealer says "it's just surface rust"; personally, that's BS in my eyes. however, the loaner truck they gave me today has a beautiful rear diff, I'm jealous.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Update on rust issues with my platinum. The dealer took care of the rust. Haven't seen yet in person. It's going on week 3 in the shop working on another issue of body creeking noises. Service bulletins and recall c/w. Hopefully this will over and done with. This complaint has been on going for months. Dealership has been helpful but slow to get it done. Ford customer care has been very disappointing!! Wasting my time and doing nothing. Email chain by Ford that they can't get ahold of dealer back and fourth with no answers. On Going waste of time! Since January. They have had plenty of my time to make it right. This whole saga has been a joke! Fingers crossed dealership made it right and if not this can go to court.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Email chain by Ford that they can't get ahold of dealer back and fourth with no answers. On Going waste of time! Since January. They have had plenty of my time to make it right.
They told me the same thing. And they shut the first case and I had to reopen a second. They are liars.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
The plan is as follows: They (the dealer) buy back my truck, I order another one. This is via an authorized special deal from Ford/Factory.
How did you get them to agree to this? I can't even get Ford to keep a case open. Honestly I like the truck and I just want them to take care of the rust spots on the diff and to replace part of the exhaust. I'd be happy with that.

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
They told me the same thing. And they shut the first case and I had to reopen a second. They are liars.
They are! This whole thing was a play on Fords part not to pay for repairs and just stuck it to the dealer. Whole thing was lousy!

Sponsored

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
Update on rust issues with my platinum. The dealer took care of the rust. Haven't seen yet in person. It's going on week 3 in the shop working on another issue of body creeking noises. Service bulletins and recall c/w. Hopefully this will over and done with. This complaint has been on going for months. Dealership has been helpful but slow to get it done. Ford customer care has been very disappointing!! Wasting my time and doing nothing. Email chain by Ford that they can't get ahold of dealer back and fourth with no answers. On Going waste of time! Since January. They have had plenty of my time to make it right. This whole saga has been a joke! Fingers crossed dealership made it right and if not this can go to court.
Sounds like a "Lemon Law" case now.

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
How did you get them to agree to this? I can't even get Ford to keep a case open. Honestly I like the truck and I just want them to take care of the rust spots on the diff and to replace part of the exhaust. I'd be happy with that.
First my truck is of the worst seen in any photos so far, but that said there should not be any such rust on anyone's truck. The deal is not done yet, waiting on the final numbers, as I would have the new replacement one with some addition options then was on original and I am willing to pay for them but now it up to them to get me the prices fort that. My concern is how long will it take to order as so many have pointed out on this Forum.

Corsini77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Have not picked mine up from dealership yet. Went and got all paperwork together and agreed to pricing and put a refundable down payment on it last night. Pick up is this Saturday.
Need advice on how to handle this. Refuse truck, make them fix before I pick up, have them replace parts, clean and paint? Brand new 2021 Black Widow. Has 30 miles on it and snapped pictures right before I left yesterday. That’s when I noticed.
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 093E4B4D-0D94-4959-A393-756B33A1D317
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 72726328-1210-402C-8EAD-E633BA58FA6A
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 41A46225-C88F-4419-AEC6-E6EA4C7B837F
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 60B87229-C42B-4A7F-A9C7-DAAA9E0025B7

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
Have not picked mine up from dealership yet. Went and got all paperwork together and agreed to pricing and put a refundable down payment on it last night. Pick up is this Saturday.
Need advice on how to handle this. Refuse truck, make them fix before I pick up, have them replace parts, clean and paint? Brand new 2021 Black Widow. Has 30 miles on it and snapped pictures right before I left yesterday. That’s when I noticed.
093E4B4D-0D94-4959-A393-756B33A1D317.jpeg
72726328-1210-402C-8EAD-E633BA58FA6A.jpeg
41A46225-C88F-4419-AEC6-E6EA4C7B837F.jpeg
60B87229-C42B-4A7F-A9C7-DAAA9E0025B7.jpeg
What about the entire exhaust?

Corsini77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
What about the entire exhaust?
I did not get good pictures of it. I know tips are fine and tail pipes look good. Did. It inspect the exhaust, converters, or head pipe. Although the stock exhaust was removed and replaced by SCA performance as part of the black widow package. So probably fine.
Sponsored