Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
Holy fudgsicles, if all it took was a little rain to do that then I guess it really is just surface rust and Ford just used shitty parts once again. But this still doesn’t explain how the Cowboy’s exhaust looks antique.

Thanks for sharing those pics so fast. Other than that rust I hope all else is well with your truck
If the metal was prepared correctly and painted correctly there should not any rust, surface or otherwise. The exhaust is another issue, I suspect some corrosive fumes at the factory, while parts were stored, or in transit and outside chance it happed at the dealer but doubt that. Suspect it happened while in component form at Ford, as the frame of the truck is fine as it should be. So that leads me to believe it happened while in component form not after the truck was built.
Sponsored

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
That response was not intended for you but "
imnuts" who wrote the following: As big of an issue this supposedly is, there have been very few people that have decided NOT to buy the truck, and even less that have returned it (if any). If this is such a huge problem to the function of the truck as people are making it seem, why aren't people cancelling orders and buying something else?
Ah, OK. You responded to me and quoted my reply by mistake. Easy to do! :)

KGB81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150
Well, dealer said ford pretty much stuck to press release line about not causing reliability or operational issues. I did get some free swag though and I accepted. Had I been owning this vehicle vs leasing prob would be a lot less happy but this diff only has to last me 2 years then its then its ford canada's problem.

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_20210326_2208274

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? P3180421.JPG

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Well, dealer said ford pretty much stuck to press release line...
You need to take a picture of the mug/hat in front of your rusty diff. and send it to all the blogs and automotive mags.

Turn it into a meme: “I got a new truck with a rusty differential and all I got was this hat and mug.”

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
As big of an issue this supposedly is, there have been very few people that have decided NOT to buy the truck, and even less that have returned it (if any). If this is such a huge problem to the function of the truck as people are making it seem, why aren't people cancelling orders and buying something else?
The issue that I see arising out of this is relaxed QA across every aspect of the build process.
Granted, Ford has a new baby with the new trucks, and there is bound to be issues that need to addressed at the dealer level.
Is Ford thinking that since only a few are bitching about the lack of protection on the bottom, that they can get away with piss poor attention in other areas.

These rear ends are Ford Produced.
I cannot say if the exhaust, or driveshafts are produced by Ford, but they used to be sourced from an outside vendor.

I have a poorly protected rear end, and some spotty exhaust work, but my front driveshaft looks like it was just pulled from a 42 Willys that had been sitting in a swamp for 80 years. Personally, I’m not too concerned about it given the environment I live in, but if we’re still living in an environment that is hard on this stuff, I would probably be a bit peeved.

One of the publications quoted Ford as saying this rust does not affect the life or usability of the components. Stupid comment as neither does a bent door or bumper, and we most likely would not accept delivery with that visible fault.

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
Does anyone think a local dealer can remove the rear axil assembly, the entire exhaust system, clean or replace other rusting or corroding components such as the fuel and brake lines, then put it back together and still be like a factory new truck?

ivorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XLT 302
The issue that I see arising out of this is relaxed QA across every aspect of the build process.
Granted, Ford has a new baby with the new trucks, and there is bound to be issues that need to addressed at the dealer level.
Is Ford thinking that since only a few are bitching about the lack of protection on the bottom, that they can get away with piss poor attention in other areas.

These rear ends are Ford Produced.
I cannot say if the exhaust, or driveshafts are produced by Ford, but they used to be sourced from an outside vendor.

I have a poorly protected rear end, and some spotty exhaust work, but my front driveshaft looks like it was just pulled from a 42 Willys that had been sitting in a swamp for 80 years. Personally, I’m not too concerned about it given the environment I live in, but if we’re still living in an environment that is hard on this stuff, I would probably be a bit peeved.

One of the publications quoted Ford as saying this rust does not affect the life or usability of the components. Stupid comment as neither does a bent door or bumper, and we most likely would not accept delivery with that visible fault.
I don't think this issue is a new issue on F150's. When I bought my 2016 I remember crawling underneath it to inspect the rear axle and diff because there were similar issues going on with other new trucks. The paint they use on these components must be a single coat of low quality paint, applied with no surface prep and they don't even seem to paint the cast parts where the brakes mount. I remember the paint was easily flaked off the rear axle on my 2016. After one Canadian east coast winter my rear axle and diff was all rusty.

This probably won't be an issue for the thick cast parts and the axles for a long time but that diff cover looks pretty thin and I think that would be the first thing to actually fail. It sucks though, all the underbody components should be painted with something more durable.

Sponsored

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
I also find it interesting that on the Ford Limited's and I think on others they (Ford) does not use the same tire brand for the spare. It's completely another brand that in my opinion is not the same quality as the 4 mounted tires. Oh, I know it's still meet size etc.... but I bet it's at much lower cost for Ford.

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
I don't think this issue is a new issue on F150's. When I bought my 2016 I remember crawling underneath it to inspect the rear axle and diff because there were similar issues going on with other new trucks. The paint they use on these components must be a single coat of low quality paint, applied with no surface prep and they don't even seem to paint the cast parts where the brakes mount. I remember the paint was easily flaked off the rear axle on my 2016. After one Canadian east coast winter my rear axle and diff was all rusty.

This probably won't be an issue for the thick cast parts and the axles for a long time but that diff cover looks pretty thin and I think that would be the first thing to actually fail. It sucks though, all the underbody components should be painted with something more durable.
This. As I’ve said upstream and on other threads before, a simple Google search will show that they’ve had rust complaints on NEW F150s for YEARS.

That doesn’t make it okay, but it does make them less likely to fix it long term. People just eventually accept it and move on, save a few really bad cases.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
My truck is local so I'll be picking it up in the next few days. I asked my salesman about rust and he said "rest assured, we will address it if there's any" and mentioned another vehicle they took care of. So they seem willing to fix it, the question is how well they will do it. After inspection, if it's there, I will discuss technique with the service manager....

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
Okay so the truck I ordered is at the dealer lot and was told to pick up for April 1st to see if any new promotions will happen.

See below:

What should be my next steps? Document it and open a case file with Ford or just take it as “surface rust” and carry on with life?

Much appreciated. Thanks

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? F8FE909E-DAFA-4D24-AA1F-272D802DDAFD

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 60B78282-2EAA-4B88-BDBA-15D9B5C837A5
Sponsored