Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

Arbybaconator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4Runner TRD Pro
I had a build week of 3/29 but I just cancelled my order. The reports of issues were causing me too much anxiety given the price of the truck, so perhaps ill revisit the F150 again in the future.

I ended up purchasing a 2021 Lunar Rock 4Runner TRD Pro instead - it's a very rare vehicle in this trim/color combo and I just happened to run into one locally yesterday. Couldn't say no.

Best part: No rust!

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I had a build week of 3/29 but I just cancelled my order. The reports of issues were causing me too much anxiety given the price of the truck, so perhaps ill revisit the F150 again in the future.

I ended up purchasing a 2021 Lunar Rock 4Runner TRD Pro instead - it's a very rare vehicle in this trim/color combo and I just happened to run into one locally yesterday. Couldn't say no.

Best part: No rust!
My stepfather needed a new truck and I could have easily steered him toward something like a Ranger or even a Bronco if he was patient enough. However, I couldn’t in good conscience recommend a Ford after the shenanigans that I have had to deal with concerning my misaligned doors as well as Ford’s go screw yourself attitude that people have been getting after being sold brand new trucks with axles that look like they’ve seen 10 winters.

The 4Runner Limited fit his needs best because of the center differential and full time 4X4. The SUV was made in Japan and shipped halfway around the world and not only is there not one spot of rust but it looks brand new and clean enough to eat off of. Similar to the pictures of a Tundra that were used as a comparison. He signed the papers this evening and will be driving it home tomorrow.

40 years ago the import brands were just starting to make headway in the domestic market. It took a lot of hard work to claw back from the brink and stay relevant. If not for the Taurus and Explorer, Caravan and Ram, or Suburban and Silverado; we would be in the same boat as France and the UK, with only token local automotive production. After being caught lying about the crap dual clutch transmissions they installed in the Fiestas and Focuses, you would hope Ford would be more careful about their bread and butter. Hopefully, the Mach-E won’t be a turkey because I doubt that Ford can survive on selling Escapes alone.

pushrods

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT PB Sport
Occupation
Retired IBM field engineer
When I picked up my ordered PB last week I thought it had minimal rust. I guess I wasnt looking hard enough. I asked my dealers service dept to please clean it up while I had it there for another issue and they refused and told me it was quite normal. Of course I disagreed but walked out. So what are others doing if dealer wont fix? I opened a customer care case and was told to try a different dealer, what the heck? What are others doing for the rust other than doing the repair yourselves on your brand new truck.
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 20210324_095722 (1)

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 20210324_095825 (1)

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 20210324_095820 (1)

WXMANNY

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Power boost
Occupation
Meteorology
Gonna follow what others did and spend a couple of hours cleaning it down and spraying it black. Truck is worth it. IMHO

The exhaust system has a 7 year warranty, plan on keeping this truck for some time, if the rust on the exhaust affects the unit, Ford will replace it under warranty. My 06 avalanche needed a new cat just prior to the warranty end period, fixed under warranty.

Appreciate all the advise and conversations. Gonna take the truck for a drive next week down the Jersey shore...

Sponsored

Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost
I had a similar experience to most: didn't check for rust until I saw this forum (after I brought the truck home). Build date in Feb in KC. Rust on the pumpkin and rear axle. Took the advice from this forum and cleaned it up with Rust-Oleum Rust Dissolver Spray Gel, then painted it with Rust-Oleum Automotive Rust Reformer Flat Back and finally coated it with Fluid Film for ongoing protection. Not ideal that I had to do this on a brand new truck. Will report back if the rust returns.

Only piece I'm still unsure about is the connector between the pumpkin and drive shaft: wasn't comfortable painting it (as it didn't have any original paint), so cleaned it as best I could and then coated with Fluid Film.

What it looked like "new":
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_0767

After cleaning and painting:
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_0789

With a fluid film coat:
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_0798

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Just an FYI. Mine had rust also. I have spent a lot of time under mine inspection everything. I found Michigan salt residue (all cleaned up now). 95% of my rust is now taken care of with axle area repainted 1st coat. I took the old paint (85% of it) back down to the bare metal before repainting. I still have some hangers to clean off.

It cost me $10.95 in material thus far and about 2.5 hrs of physical work. Work was a little harder for me cause I have 4 titanium rods & 4 screws in my back but got it done.

My 1st coat of paint was from some left over paint that I had. My 2nd coat will cost me about $40.00. I'm using both paint in can (qt) for areas to hard to reach for spraying & using spray paint for the larger areas. I'm painting mine a flat black.

Muffler area: Mine has some light spotted rust areas - I used a light grade of steel wool and it's all good now. It all came of easily.

jwgreene

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT supercrew in leadfoot with 5.0
So why are trucks still showing up to dealerships with rust all under them? It's not like they aren't aware of the issue.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Just an FYI. Mine had rust also. I have spent a lot of time under mine inspection everything. I found Michigan salt residue (all cleaned up now). 95% of my rust is now taken care of with axle area repainted 1st coat. I took the old paint (85% of it) back down to the bare metal before repainting. I still have some hangers to clean off.

It cost me $10.95 in material thus far and about 2.5 hrs of physical work. Work was a little harder for me cause I have 4 titanium rods & 4 screws in my back but got it done.

My 1st coat of paint was from some left over paint that I had. My 2nd coat will cost me about $40.00. I'm using both paint in can (qt) for areas to hard to reach for spraying & using spray paint for the larger areas. I'm painting mine a flat black.

Muffler area: Mine has some light spotted rust areas - I used a light grade of steel wool and it's all good now. It all came of easily.
This is so sad. These (expletive)er’s are building trucks with little American flags on them but when a retired veteran needs some help with something that Ford messed up they get all quiet and now you got this nice man with a messed up back doing his own repairs on a brand new truck that in my opinion, he was swindled on. This story needs to get to Ford.

I really feel for you Jim. If it wasn’t so complicated to get back-and-forth across the border I would’ve gladly came down there to help you out. These guys are monsters.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Appreciate it. I honestly believe rust will impact Ford's reputation - through customers surveys. History, apparently has shown this has been some what of a norm for Ford. Some buyer's have lucked out with no rust but more have rust than those without.

I'll never understand why Ford thinks it's ok to send trucks out - reguardless if it's surface ruust or not - I once thought they were all about quality & job #1. Apparently the rush to increase monthly production numbers outweighs quality & perceptions.
Sponsored