Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I do not think I will accept it "cleaned" up or painted... the corrosion as already pitted the various metal parts, brake line fittings... you do not put a band-aid on Gangrene and you just don't paint over rust. All the the rust would have to be removed, then treated then primed, then painted, oh yeah and to do this correctly the components would need to be removed from the truck... good luck with that ever happing correctly and that the truck would ever ride right again. The metal items showing the powdery corrosion would need to be replaced. If only the front skid plate that would be a doable job but the rest is very doubtful to say the least.
I agree with everything you said. I was just making a point that having them “fix it” before you sign for it is probably not the best option since there’s a 99% chance that they will just do a quick cover up to make it easier on the eyes at delivery.
Someone else on this thread actually said that the dealer took about an hour to have the rust problem corrected. I’m not an expert but that sounds really fast.
Sponsored

Dog Gone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XTL
"Built Ford Tough" ?? Ford has a reputation to protect. So, owners spend tens of thousands to purchase and customize their trucks. But, as we travel around, do we really have pride in our ride, or do we worry that everyone who sees us in our new F150 truck is thinking: "There goes another one of those Ford rust buckets". "Built Ford Tough" ... except for all of the rust, except for the oil burning engine, except for the Sync 4 that doesn't work, except for the battery draining, except for.......

Lugusthedog

First Name
Lugus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Maxtow 3.5 EB
Occupation
retired
"Built Ford Tough" ?? Ford has a reputation to protect. So, owners spend tens of thousands to purchase and customize their trucks. But, as we travel around, do we really have pride in our ride, or do we worry that everyone who sees us in our new F150 truck is thinking: "There goes another one of those Ford rust buckets". "Built Ford Tough" ... except for all of the rust, except for the oil burning engine, except for the Sync 4 that doesn't work, except for the battery draining, except for.......
Anything else to add to your first post?

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Can someone post a photo of their "exhaust" as a comparison to what mine looks like with the rust and corrosion. Thank you,
Can someone post a photo of their "exhaust" as a comparison to what mine looks like with the rust and corrosion. Thank you,
Here is s
This is mine it has axle rust and attachment hardware that is corroded. Article can be found on Detroit Free Press. Let us know what Ford tells you. It's the worst one I've seen on exhaust. It's crazy we are having to deal with something so stupid on the manufacturers part.

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 20210314_193833

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 20210314_193851

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 20210314_193913

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 20210131_121127

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
I agree with everything you said. I was just making a point that having them “fix it” before you sign for it is probably not the best option since there’s a 99% chance that they will just do a quick cover up to make it easier on the eyes at delivery.
Someone else on this thread actually said that the dealer took about an hour to have the rust problem corrected. I’m not an expert but that sounds really fast.
That was me, and they did nothing more than to wire brush off the rust.

Sponsored

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
Agree, If the rust and corrosion was seen before purchase, I would reject the truck and move on.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
After going to the dealer and the SA telling me to call Ford Customer Care, I did so and opened up a case. Others may want to consider doing the same. We'll see where it goes.
Been there. Done that. Got my name in the FREEP with some pictures. Ford still says non-warranted.

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
Been there. Done that. Got my name in the FREEP with some pictures. Ford still says non-warranted.
I too chased this - talked to 2 dealerships, opened a case with Ford... denied. At this point I’m planning to clean it up myself. I really like this truck, but Ford not so much. I’ve owned Subaru, Jeep, Jaguar, Toyota, Volvo and GM. Never treated so poorly and never had rust on a brand new vehicle.

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
How do you feel about the results? I hope all is well with your new truck BigTex
They did a decent job of cleaning it up. Whether the rust will return here in Texas, who knows? But I figured they at least got the truck back to original specs.

Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Was that specifically for rust on the exhaust, the diff, or both? I can see them saying it’s ok on the diff, but the exhaust seems highly suspect. You also can open a BBB case. I was successful once in the past with BBB arbitration against GM on a warranty issue and they were bound and required to fix it.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I too chased this - talked to 2 dealerships, opened a case with Ford... denied. At this point I’m planning to clean it up myself. I really like this truck, but Ford not so much. I’ve owned Subaru, Jeep, Jaguar, Toyota, Volvo and GM. Never treated so poorly and never had rust on a brand new vehicle.
Jesus Chirst so they just pretty much told you to kick rocks?? I’ve spent the last 24 years perfecting my anger management skills but with this kind of treatment I will surely be handing out pallets worth of cans of whoop ass. I hope I can still get on this forum from inside prison.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
Jesus Chirst so they just pretty much told you to kick rocks?? I’ve spent the last 24 years perfecting my anger management skills but with this kind of treatment I will surely be handing out pallets worth of cans of whoop ass. I hope I can still get on this forum from inside prison.
Yeah. Pretty much told me that. Non-warranted. I provided them with pictures of all of the rust AND video of the exhaust. Just kind of waiting now for the dam to break and get an official mea culpa from Ford Corporate.

Coolrain

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor
Was holding off for a Tremor... I really hope they address this before that time otherwise I'm not ordering... this is just ridiculous - (link for you Ford) you know word gets out I hope they understand this is/will affect sales. Maybe with the shortage of chips/trucks they just don't care

Bocephus

First Name
Bocephus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A 3.3L
Occupation
Entertainer
I live in MI so I will get Ziebart undercoating and that will resolve the issue for me. For those that can’t live with it, stop stressing and see what Ziebart will charge you to do just the rear axle.
Sponsored