Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
And the rust is just confined to the rear axel. Many other areas like exhaust, body mount, shocks, skid plates, front suspension, etc. are rusted
Yes, not only the rear axel, the exahust and other metal parts that are rusting look as it has corrosion from chemicals. Almost if you take metal tool and store in box with chlorine and come back a few days or weeks later an the tool will be trashed. Just look at the photos of the exhaust, forget the rust on the Axil. If chemical what about break lines, ac lines, electrical connectors etc, etc. long term effects.

I purchased a new truck and will demand a new truck and return this one. They can sell this one as used make some profit and get me the new one that I paid for. I do love the truck and is why I purchased it, and would do so again so long as the truck come to me without significant damages.

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_5577.JPG

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_5578.JPG

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_5579.JPG

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_5580.JPG

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_5581.JPG
Sponsored

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
Y'all live in Florida. You could have dunked your truck in the salt water multiple times at a boat ramp already In that 1200 miles for all anyone knows. I used Salt Away every time I had my truck in salt water when I lived there for nearly 30 years. Stuff rusts near the ocean way faster than up north.
I am no where near the ocean, I don't have boat, never been to a boat ramp and my 2010 F-150 I purchased new put on 170,000 miles lived in the same town had no rust at all, no corrosion at all, it was "dirty" yes, needed to be washed yes, but virtually no rust or corrosion at all after 170,000 miles... so boat ramp salt water is not in this case. This came from Ford this way or happened in transit from the factory or at the dealer but not from my parking at home or driving it for the past few weeks.

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
This forum is a big more objective than the f150forum. I asked on that forum if I should voice my concern to the dealer now or when it is delivered to them about the rust. Then I got jumped by a half dozen fan boys who acted like I insulted their spouse.

I read one poster in this thread, who bought his truck from the same dealer I order mine. It looks like the dealer handled it well. I just want Ford to address the issue and not make excuses.

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
This forum is a big more objective than the f150forum. I asked on that forum if I should voice my concern to the dealer now or when it is delivered to them about the rust. Then I got jumped by a half dozen fan boys who acted like I insulted their spouse.

I read one poster in this thread, who bought his truck from the same dealer I order mine. It looks like the dealer handled it well. I just want Ford to address the issue and not make excuses.
What I did was to ask the sales guy to get under the truck with his camera and take pix. He did and found rust. I asked them to kindly take care of the rust before I would complete the purchase, which they did. It took about an hour for them to clean it up.

Sponsored

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 AMB Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5 bed
When my truck hits the lot, it is one of the first things I am telling my salesperson when he calls - check under the truck for rust and take care of it before pickup.

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
I am no where near the ocean, I don't have boat, never been to a boat ramp and my 2010 F-150 I purchased new put on 170,000 miles lived in the same town had no rust at all, no corrosion at all, it was "dirty" yes, needed to be washed yes, but virtually no rust or corrosion at all after 170,000 miles... so boat ramp salt water is not in this case. This came from Ford this way or happened in transit from the factory or at the dealer but not from my parking at home or driving it for the past few weeks.
Yes all the trucks where delivered this way. Ford and dealers need to be responsible to make it right. Instead the owners are having to clean it up or battle with Ford. I've owned many fords none looked as bad as mine and some others on here. Completely ridiculous this is even an issue with today's technology and prices. Many trolls out there just accept it say it's OK for them. But I believe in higher standards at this price point.

Yes it's unfortunate some trolls have been on these forums. It's definitely better to ask dealer to clean up before delivery and most will do. The purpose of this post originally was to warn people about what to look for and inform them on how Ford has responded. My case is still pending since January still no answer from ford it's been a slow process. Vehicle is going to dealer again for another evaluation this week ford is requested more info. Like they don't have enough! its been a joke.

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
You should have done a better job looking over the truck. You OWN it. You're apparently in construction. Quit whining and take an hour and spiff it up instead of posting your pictures another dozen times.

This thread is now officially ignored by me.
Not many crawl under there new vehicles to inspect. Normally a quit look for damage. The buyers are not at fault here.

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
You should have done a better job looking over the truck. You OWN it. You're apparently in construction. Quit whining and take an hour and spiff it up instead of posting your pictures another dozen times.

This thread is now officially ignored by me.
Whining ? You must be kidding. I was given a defective truck. Consumers whether or not in construction or otherwise generally do not crawl under brand new vehicles to look for rust or corrosion. I believe this is from chemical vapor and not "water" The corrosion is the issue as that pits the metal and never will be like new again. The fittings, brake lines, brake calipers are now all suspect and can be a serious safety issue in the future. As a senior citizen without a lift at my house I am not crawling under a brand new expensive truck to fix what in my opinion is not fixable. The damages have been done already.

If i wanted a used rust bucket to fix up I would not have spent North of $60k, but far, far less. New cars/trucks should not need anything till the first factory recommend service interval and then take it to the dealer and get it done. I have done that with my then brand new 2010 and it looked and ran fine after 170,000 miles with all factory required services, no accidents body and paint in excellent condition as was the interior. Also there was no rust to speak of and no corrosion. The truck still had the original exhaust and it looked just fine the last time i saw it on the lift which was during a oil change not that long ago. I thought it was time to get a new one before it would need any major servcie work, lost time off work projects, breakdowns, aggravation, etc. that generally come with an older vehicle. I also wanted the great new features of the 2021 model year vs. what I had in my 10 year old Lariat.

Jus Cruisin says that it is my fault for not looking under the truck for major rust and significant corrosion? Really! Additionally that I should take the time to fix it, maybe out of pocket cost for new parts, lost time from work or leisure... Really! NO, this is Dealer and Factory issue not mine... well is it mine temporarily till this truck is replaced. It will cost me nearly a half a day to drive the dealer, inspect the rust/corrosion and drive back to the office... Who pays for that lost time? Hoping for this to go smooth but if not, will fight the legal battles and given the facts and my couple of years at law school I feel confident on winning that fight big time. I do not want to go down that road but that is not up to me. The dealer if smart they will take it back, order a new one for me and sell this one as used. Dealer will either make small profit or break even if they go that way and do the right thing, or in the end loose way more. Just think of the reviews we will post for the dealer and for Ford. The ball will be their court for now. I have already filed the claim with Ford this past week and seeing the dealer I purchased from for the first time since discovering the rust/corrosion issues tomorrow. When the replacement truck arrives, if that happens, I will ask the dealer to move the Retrax XR Retractable Tonneau cover and the bed cargo accessory i had already installed do this for me as a reasonable curtesy.

For those that think is the rust and corrosion mine and others may have is nothing and will not affect the truck in the longer term, are simply misinformed...IMHO.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Currybob explained how he cleaned his up Properly then coated it for protection and to make it look better. His method is obviously going to have very good long term results.

If the dealers do agree to fix it up for you do you think they will actually take the time and effort to do it as good as he did? Or maybe just skip the first step which is the most time consuming part, and just cover everything with a nice coat to shut you up. You won’t know until at least a few days/weeks later anyways.

Time is money and these boys aren’t about losing money.

Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Whining ? You must be kidding. I was given a defective truck. Consumers whether or not in construction or otherwise generally do not crawl under brand new vehicles to look for rust or corrosion. I believe this is from chemical vapor and not "water" The corrosion is the issue as that pits the metal and never will be like new again. The fittings, brake lines, brake calipers are now all suspect and can be a serious safety issue in the future. As a senior citizen without a lift at my house I am not crawling under a brand new expensive truck to fix what in my opinion is not fixable. The damages have been done already.

If i wanted a used rust bucket to fix up I would not have spent North of $60k, but far, far less. New cars/trucks should not need anything till the first factory recommend service interval and then take it to the dealer and get it done. I have done that with my then brand new 2010 and it looked and ran fine after 170,000 miles with all factory required services, no accidents body and paint in excellent condition as was the interior. Also there was no rust to speak of and no corrosion. The truck still had the original exhaust and it looked just fine the last time i saw it on the lift which was during a oil change not that long ago. I thought it was time to get a new one before it would need any major servcie work, lost time off work projects, breakdowns, aggravation, etc. that generally come with an older vehicle. I also wanted the great new features of the 2021 model year vs. what I had in my 10 year old Lariat.

Jus Cruisin says that it is my fault for not looking under the truck for major rust and significant corrosion? Really! Additionally that I should take the time to fix it, maybe out of pocket cost for new parts, lost time from work or leisure... Really! NO, this is Dealer and Factory issue not mine... well is it mine temporarily till this truck is replaced. It will cost me nearly a half a day to drive the dealer, inspect the rust/corrosion and drive back to the office... Who pays for that lost time? Hoping for this to go smooth but if not, will fight the legal battles and given the facts and my couple of years at law school I feel confident on winning that fight big time. I do not want to go down that road but that is not up to me. The dealer if smart they will take it back, order a new one for me and sell this one as used. Dealer will either make small profit or break even if they go that way and do the right thing, or in the end loose way more. Just think of the reviews we will post for the dealer and for Ford. The ball will be their court for now. I have already filed the claim with Ford this past week and seeing the dealer I purchased from for the first time since discovering the rust/corrosion issues tomorrow. When the replacement truck arrives, if that happens, I will ask the dealer to move the Retrax XR Retractable Tonneau cover and the bed cargo accessory i had already installed do this for me as a reasonable curtesy.

For those that think is the rust and corrosion mine and others may have is nothing and will not affect the truck in the longer term, are simply misinformed...IMHO.
Crawling under trucks is for people buying used vehicles that have had the opportunity to deteriorate. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone inspecting under a brand new vehicle unless there was some fancy exhaust system or other upgraded parts they wanted to take a peak at.

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
Can someone post a photo of their "exhaust" as a comparison to what mine looks like with the rust and corrosion. Thank you,

WXMANNY

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Power boost
Occupation
Meteorology
I did go to the dealership this afternoon, all the 21's had rust on the axles and exhaust. Just crazy. I saw 2 left over 20's, they were in perfect condition. One of them had a 10K discount.

Thinking why spend 56K for something that may have issues, where I can get a 20 left over for 40K

Really wanted this PowerBoost after many years of enjoying the Avalanche..

Thank you all for the posts

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
Currybob explained how he cleaned his up Properly then coated it for protection and to make it look better. His method is obviously going to have very good long term results.

If the dealers do agree to fix it up for you do you think they will actually take the time and effort to do it as good as he did? Or maybe just skip the first step which is the most time consuming part, and just cover everything with a nice coat to shut you up. You won’t know until at least a few days/weeks later anyways.

Time is money and these boys aren’t about losing money.
I do not think I will accept it "cleaned" up or painted... the corrosion as already pitted the various metal parts, brake line fittings... you do not put a band-aid on Gangrene and you just don't paint over rust. All the the rust would have to be removed, then treated then primed, then painted, oh yeah and to do this correctly the components would need to be removed from the truck... good luck with that ever happing correctly and that the truck would ever ride right again. The metal items showing the powdery corrosion would need to be replaced. If only the front skid plate that would be a doable job but the rest is very doubtful to say the least.
Sponsored