Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I've been watching this thread for a while and am very thankful for it and all of the info on this forum. I am expecting my ordered truck in a couple weeks. I bought my current truck, 2009 Nissan Frontier new, and guarantee I never looked underneath before or after the sale. My question for those that buy new vehicles more often, what would the undercarriage of say a 2021 Silverado look like? Is this a Ford anomaly for 2021?

Thank You
Several previous post here about this.

Seems to be the plants that are located in the North where salt is used during the winter. So yes, other brands that build have some similar issues

Jus Cruisin
Use high heat engine paint, has a tighter bond.

mflynndelta
Also covered at length here in previous posts.

As Tim mentioned, remove as much rust as possible by wire brush or a chemical rust remover. Then re-paint the area's with a high heat quality spray paint. If you in a area where they salt the roads, you should do this annually, if not you will be good to go for many many years.

Salt is the devil at rusting steel!?
Sponsored

Yeti1

First Name
DUSTIN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150

Seems to be the plants that are located in the North where salt is used during the winter. So yes, other brands that build have some similar issues

Jus Cruisin

mflynndelta

As Tim mentioned, remove as much rust as possible by wire brush or a chemical rust remover. Then re-paint the area's with a high heat quality spray paint. If you in a area where they salt the roads, you should do this annually, if not you will be good to go for many many years.

Bob:

Based on what you have seen on this thread is it still occurring or was it on the initial / early vehicles produced?

Yeti1

First Name
DUSTIN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150
Yes, Limited trim so built in Dearborn. Dealer is located only 50 miles north of the plant, so minimal delay/exposure during transit.
Mine shows production date 2/25 and ship date 2/26, hope to be as lucky.

Coynerboyner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150

Jus Cruisin

mflynndelta

Hate to say it but it doesn’t matter if there is salt on the roads or not. I had a 2018 f150 I traded in and I live in the North east and no sign of rust. So it’s a Ford issues doesn’t matter if you live in Boston or Arizona there are post all over the web of people not living in the North east with the rust issue

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Mine isn't that bad but I'm still pretty surprised. I'm more concerned about the corrosion on the front muffler. My guess is that Ford will need to address this and I'll have them do it at that point. I won't mess with it in the meantime. I'm in CA, BTW.
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_1727
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_1728

Sponsored

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Curious to find out if anyone here has initially had a pristine undercarriage when delivered, but after a few to several weeks/months/miles, it has extensive surface rust.

:unsure:

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Bob:

Based on what you have seen on this thread is it still occurring or was it on the initial / early vehicles produced?
Still occurring but some are coming through looking pretty good but some still are not. Doesn't matter which plant built it. My guess is the spring/summer and fall builds will probably be fine.

Yeti1

First Name
DUSTIN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150
Still occurring but some are coming through looking pretty good but some still are not. Doesn't matter which plant built it. My guess is the spring/summer and fall builds will probably be fine.
Bob:

Sorry. One last question. All noticeable at point of sale?

Sponsored

ggervai

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Picked up my vehicle a week ago today. I was unaware of this rust issue and was mortified when I looked under my new truck this morning. Definitely would not have closed the deal had I known. See the dealer on Monday, along with other issues.......dome lights not working, bed cleats not fitting (2017 date on package??), security alarm going off in the middle of the night, home-link not functioning. Not a good start to this purchase. Dealer was very attentive when contacted, so will wait and see. If Ford refuses to step up on this rust issue, may advertise my new 2021 F-150 as "2021 F-150-Rust Bucket". Bold letters on the back window. After all, that's what they stuck me with. So disappointed.

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_1612

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_1613

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_1614

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_1615

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_1616

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_1617

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_1618

Coynerboyner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Picked up my vehicle a week ago today. I was unaware of this rust issue and was mortified when I looked under my new truck this morning. Definitely would not have closed the deal had I known. See the dealer on Monday, along with other issues.......dome lights not working, bed cleats not fitting (2017 date on package??), security alarm going off in the middle of the night, home-link not functioning. Not a good start to this purchase. Dealer was very attentive when contacted, so will wait and see. If Ford refuses to step up on this rust issue, may advertise my new 2021 F-150 as "2021 F-150-Rust Bucket". Bold letters on the back window. After all, that's what they stuck me with. So disappointed.

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg
Mine is just as bad and I have an appointment at the deal on Monday as well and I also already contacted Ford support to get the ball rolling on there end.

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
Yeah, I had some on the axle and shock mount. I sprayed some undercoating on it. I'm i the south so no salt but still didn't like see that on a new truck.
I had under coated as soon as it hit the dealer. I looked under the hole body of the truck and made sure there wasn't any rust first. Had it just over a week and will keep watch for rust. They will hate me at dealership if I find any rust.
Sponsored