Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Press on. They get enough complaints on the ones with a lot of rust may change their customer support in a positive way. Little rust I can deal with - but some of the picures I'm seeing is outright uncalled for.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
I am in S. CA. I think it is totally unacceptable. KBKEITH , can you forward this to your friend?
I‘m not sure if you have viewed the entire posts, but if you look at my post 42 gives you a good comparison. Ford should not be releasing trucks looking like that.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I pulled into a Ford dealer in Southfield, MI today, and took a quick peek underneath 5 of them and snapped some picks. Even the ones with a pristine pumpkin and axle have surface rust on the brake mounting casting. I checked the date on the bottom of the window sticker, which I think is when the window sticker was created. The date range for these 5 was mid-September 2020 to early January 2021.
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 2021-02-23 18.20.38
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 2021-02-23 18.20.34
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 2021-02-23 18.19.48
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 2021-02-23 18.19.43
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 2021-02-23 18.19.31
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 2021-02-23 18.19.26
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 2021-02-23 18.17.58
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 2021-02-23 18.17.52
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 2021-02-23 18.17.39
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 2021-02-23 18.17.33

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Bob,
Can you get a picture of the bottom shock mount viewed from wheel well. Found heavy corrosion on inside. Thanks.
I would but I have already fixed all of that.

I actually got my pressure washer out and blasted the entire underside. Wanted to make sure I got all the salt brim off before I started cleaning and painting.

Last edited:

Sponsored

1fitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
This is just another example of how a good forum and putting out good information can really help others that take the time to seek it out.

I really think it is for sure both plants and probably comes down to snow/bad weather at these locations.

They salt the roads, some trucks are driven during these times and pick up the salty brim. Not just the completed truck but the supplier hauling the new undercarriage to the plant.

The salt brim is highly corrosive and there the rust starts. Deaborn probably has more snow days than KC so more trucks are exposed in Deaborn.

Just my 2 cents
One would hope at this time and age we shouldn't be dealing with salt for roads in winter. Being from Canada I have seen and drove through my share of snow, we have been using gravel pebbles so rust is not a worry but your windshield is replaced once a year.

Out East (Ontario) still uses salt and in the past any vehicle coming from that province would get a hard pass from me.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
One would hope at this time and age we shouldn't be dealing with salt for roads in winter. Being from Canada I have seen and drove through my share of snow, we have been using gravel pebbles so rust is not a worry but your windshield is replaced once a year.

Out East (Ontario) still uses salt and in the past any vehicle coming from that province would get a hard pass from me.
Yeah, I'm glad I don't have to deal with any of that in the winter. When it snows, even just a little down here, the grocery stores run out of bread, milk and beer! Lol

They shut the roads and close the schools, it's a funny thing to see for me, I have lived in Alaska and S Dakota. Rather have that than the salt and gravel for sure!

Getting too old, don't do cold as well as I use to.

1fitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Yeah, I'm glad I don't have to deal with any of that in the winter. When it snows, even just a little down here, the grocery stores run out of bread, milk and beer! Lol

They shut the roads and close the schools, it's a funny thing to see for me, I have lived in Alaska and S Dakota. Rather have that than the salt and gravel for sure!

Getting too old, don't do cold as well as I use to.
My F150 hasn't been scheduled for build yet, hoping its March and I don't see this undercarriage nightmare

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
My F150 hasn't scheduled to be built yet, hoping its March and I don't see this undercarriage nightmare
They get snow in March sometimes. Just make sure you check it.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
Update to mine from my Ford "advocate":
"Granger Motors rust concern statement/conclusion

General Manager contacted are our Ford District Manager (Kristina Holland) concerning Mr. ________ concern. DM stated that visual rust on mechanical parts such as rear end housings, shocks, struts, brake calipers, etc. is considered normal and not a rust/corrosion warrantable concern.
Customer advised to reach out to dealer GM for sale resolution."

So, Ford is trying to pin this on Granger for accepting delivery of the vehicle with rust on it. They won't correct as a warranty item. The suggestion from Ford is that Granger needs to fix it, as they took delivery. In the alternative, they suggested that Granger provide me with a new vehicle and that I need to push the GM to accommodate my concerns.

Looks like I need to ping the FREEP reporter again.
:mad:

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

General Manager contacted are our Ford District Manager (Kristina Holland) concerning Mr. ________ concern. DM stated that visual rust on mechanical parts such as rear end housings, shocks, struts, brake calipers, etc. is considered normal and not a rust/corrosion warrantable concern.

So, Ford is trying to pin this on Granger for accepting delivery of the vehicle with rust on it. They won't correct as a warranty item. The suggestion from Ford is that Granger needs to fix it, as they took delivery. In the alternative, they suggested that Granger provide me with a new vehicle and that I need to push the GM to accommodate my concerns.

What is Albert saying?

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech

To give Ford hell, and that the "non-warranted" explanation is bs.
That's exactly what I did, but no one wants to be accountable for the issue.
I point my finger at the manufacturer, not the dealer.
This is getting ridiculous! I'm still waiting on answers from Ford getting nowhere so far.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
To give Ford hell, and that the "non-warranted" explanation is bs.
That's exactly what I did, but no one wants to be accountable for the issue.
I point my finger at the manufacturer, not the dealer.
Oh, well.

I don't think you guys will get anywhere with Ford, in the past some of the dealers have stepped up and took care of their customers.

I have seen this in past years and not heard of any success stories other than from the dealers.

I wish everyone luck for I agree 100% these should not be delivered like this.

I was pretty sure it was going to happen though, it has for every year I have ordered one and that is pretty frequent, why I was waving the red flag on delivery inspection. That however has only helped to get the dealer to take care of it.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
I conceded - that I'm at the mercy of the dealship if my comes in with rust. It's why I'm building a rapport with my local dealership. I will be going there anyway in the future - they been great so far.
Sponsored