Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

Rkh51

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep jl Toyota rav4
Looked at 3 f150 today and a 250 the f150 all 3 had some type on the rear axle f250 did not
Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I took possession of a new Lariat yesterday and it has the rust problem. My truck was built in KC, so it is not a plant specific issue. I pointed the rust out to the dealer and he had the general sales manager take a look at it and he immediately offered to clean it up and coat it to make it right. They gave me zero hassles about the issue which was refreshing. I have an appointment on Tuesday for them to take care of it... hopefully they do it up nicely.
This is just another example of how a good forum and putting out good information can really help others that take the time to seek it out.

I really think it is for sure both plants and probably comes down to snow/bad weather at these locations.

They salt the roads, some trucks are driven during these times and pick up the salty brim. Not just the completed truck but the supplier hauling the new undercarriage to the plant.

The salt brim is highly corrosive and there the rust starts. Deaborn probably has more snow days than KC so more trucks are exposed in Deaborn.

Just my 2 cents

andy3888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost, Telsa 3
Just come back from Ford dealer. They said it is surface rust. They are not going to do anything. Really upset about it for a brand new car. Did someone has contacted Ford and got some help? They did a sloppy job and ignore us after that.:mad:

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Just come back from Ford dealer. They said it is surface rust. They are not going to do anything. Really upset about it for a brand new car. Did someone has contacted Ford and got some help? They did a sloppy job and ignore us after that.:mad:
My dealer submitted it to ford over 3 weeks ago it's been crickets so far. Just left dealer message and waiting or call back. It's been really ridiculous! Can you post some pictures of yours?

Sponsored

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Sounds like contacting Ford customer service may be your only option. Flame them on Twitter if needed (pix help). Unfortunately, I think buyers will have to refuse to accept their vehicles until the dealers clean it up. I had rust on mine, and told the dealer I wouldn’t close the deal until they cleaned it up. Took them about an hour.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sounds like contacting Ford customer service may be your only option. Flame them on Twitter if needed (pix help). Unfortunately, I think buyers will have to refuse to accept their vehicles until the dealers clean it up. I had rust on mine, and told the dealer I wouldn’t close the deal until they cleaned it up. Took them about an hour.
You probably right but don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

There is still a shortage of these on dealer lots, average number days one sits on the lot before it sales is 6 days now.

Some dealers would just say Ok and move on to the next customer.

I think hitting them on social media, the review and some emails to corporate, could help.

Corporate America is just too much about the buck.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
If some of the people with very recent issues regarding axle rust can post pics, that would be great. I’m helping our friend Phoebe Howard from the Detroit Free Press, and she’s interested in more content for an article she’ll be publishing regarding this very issue.

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
If some of the people with very recent issues regarding axle rust can post pics, that would be great. I’m helping our friend Phoebe Howard from the Detroit Free Press, and she’s interested in more content for an article she’ll be publishing regarding this very issue.
I had a nice interview with her last week. Hope to see article soon.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I don't have many for I jump right on the repair, but here are mine. The bottom one I had already started the repair but you can see near the tire where I had not finished yet.

I live in AL so no road salt and this was just days after delivery.

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 1614103283608
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 1614103392090

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
I don't have many for I jump right on the repair, but here are mine. The bottom one I had already started the repair but you can see near the tire where I had not finished yet.

I live in AL so no road salt and this was just days after delivery.

1614103283608.jpeg
1614103392090.jpeg
Bob,
Can you get a picture of the bottom shock mount viewed from wheel well. Found heavy corrosion on inside. Thanks.

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
I got the same response from my dealership. I also contacted Ford. They were quick to respond and open a ticket, but then went silent for the last few weeks. I'm now contacting various garages to see if I can find someone who can clean this up. Amazing how difficult it is to find anyone who wants the business. Super disappointed with the whole situation.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
I'm working with a Ford consumer advocate since filing my initial claim. She's in Houston, so I haven't heard from her in a week, and frankly, I'm not going to bug her until next week.

Granger submitted a claim to Ford, but their rep said, essentially, tough beans, it's environmental.

Once I hear more from my "advocate", I'll share with this group.
Sponsored