Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

HMG2Ford

First Name
Mic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 Ford F150 Lariat ... 2017 Infiniti Q60S
Occupation
Retired
I can't stop being a Chief Engineer (retired) and thinking RCCA with issues like this. Was thinking this rear axle defect is linked to assembly location (Dearborn vs. KC) or a date code that might be linked to manufacturing time/location of axle .... something changed since we are seeing two extreme conditions. I'm sure Ford Engineering/Supply Chain are combing the data since this is exactly what Ford CEO Jim Farley didn't want to happen ... impact to the Ford F-150 brand.
Sponsored

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
I just purchased a 2021 KR Smoked Quartz today, which was built at the Dearborn plant. There was some light rust underneath mine which I called out at the dealership. They took it back to repair and cleaned it up, but there’s still some light rust. A quick Google on this topic and there are hundreds of threads specific to Ford F150s having this issue over the years. A very few which actually had frames rust through, but most of the posts I read suggest this isn’t uncommon with some even saying there’s a rust technique used to protect the parts from further rusting (not sure I buy that).
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 9AB98664-EDF8-435C-9423-143FC04C406A

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
My truck did sit in storage for a long period of time but it only had 15 miles on it. If only 15 miles of a salty road did this something is not right with fords corrosion prevention. Still waiting on ford for a fix.

20210131_121159.jpg

20210131_121242.jpg

20210131_121220.jpg

20210131_121127.jpg
I wouldn’t take any thighs from Popeyes with that kind of colour. Ford did you dirty with a brand new truck looking like that kind sir. My three year old f150 doesn’t have even half of that kind of action. I’m praying for you my brother.

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
I wouldn’t take any thighs from Popeyes with that kind of colour. Ford did you dirty with a brand new truck looking like that kind sir. My three year old f150 doesn’t have even half of that kind of action. I’m praying for you my brother.
Thankyou! I agree. My 2016 looks better than this 21 on the underside. I'm still waiting on an answer they said 7-14 days for ford to typically respond. On day 7 today. All the new ones on lot I've seen look good. Hopefully have an update soon.

Sponsored

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
This feels to me like something that’s about to snowball into a huge issue for Ford.

For those who receive theirs and there’s no rust, given what we’re seeing here, should we be proactively doing anything to treat the area so rust does not develop?

sayers

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
retired
I have a new f150 on order and have the vin and been told it will be build in Dearborn. I stopped this morning at the local dealer where I have the truck ordered and looked at the 2021's they have on the lot. 8 out of 10 have rust on the rear axles, out of these 50% have rust that I would consider unacceptable for delivery. It looks like it is not only on the axle but the shock mounts and some starting on the springs. The window sticker on these have them being built in Dearborn. Food for thought.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I don't know much about the assembly process, but based on the pattern of rust, could it be that base chassis's were built then stored outdoors for a period of time?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Chassis is most likely 3rd party. (I am not certain)
Those are usually painted pretty thoroughly across all manufacturers
It was stated the differentials are built in house, Im not sure, but could be third party as well.
Certainly different buildings, and they may have been lying about for months before they were moved to production.
Of course I would be less concerned about the rear ends than I would the frame and related hardware. Neve have seen a rear end rust all the way thru unless it was sitting in a pond that cattle piss in.
Granted, to everyone's point, it should not be this way on a new vehicle, and I agree. but not worth the time to argue with the dealer over it.

Frames put on the line---rear springs and differential added. First item added to naked frame.

Frames show up to the plant---each one on its own private little pallet.
Living close to Toyota Tundra plant, I see these things on trucks and rail cars all the time.
I would imagine that the frame people will take the time and effort to see these are up to par, as if there was another Toyota type frame issue pop up, For would invariably end up holding that manufacturer responsible.

Takata Airbags----not really Fords fault, but the general public is holding them responsible, and Ford is stepping up. Took several months before they were available for my Ranger, but Ford replaced them as soon as they could.

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
All you worried about the rust should google the topic. This has been a pervasive complaint for just about every truck year since they started building trucks. If you have a truck that doesn’t have any rust, just luck and local climate. My guess is Ford will state this is cosmetic and will have no impact on durability. Can’t imagine they’re not aware of this.

Sponsored

sayers

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
retired
the bottom line is that when you pay 60k and up for a new truck you want it to not only drive and all the features to work, but you want it to also look good. i.e. paint and finish. Dealers and I guess ford get to the point that its just another piece of iron. I am sure a lot of f150 buyers work hard for their money and a vehicle next to your home is a big investment.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Makes me wonder if Chevy/GMC and RAM have similar undercarriage rust issues. I suppose it could happen to those trucks as well.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
For comparison this is what my 2018 looks like in its third Canadian winter.
Never had any protection or treatment since I knew I wasn’t keeping her past 3yrs.
I do get the underbody washed almost every day through an automatic car wash though.

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 84FECE05-9A59-46DF-A3DA-3AA721C179E1