Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

Snowboarder_15

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
I'm learning as I go, got lots of good info from forums.
Still trying to read all the labels with phone, freakin tiny print. Need to go to websites. LOL
I would read them first then get at Walmart, AutoZone etc. or order on Amazon (not best for aerosols).
Fluid film seems to be safe to put on after painting.
Says penetrant and lubricant, no solvents, since 1943. I think it has lanolin/wax like stuff in it..
CRC Marine seems similar. That tan color, different smell.
Loctite converts existing rust into paintable surface. So good for some cases.
WD-40 inhibitor is good for bare metal, says not to leave on rubber for extended time so have to be careful, i.e. brake lines.
I'm still reading up before I screw up my clean hardware.
There's always Break Free CLP and Hoppes too. LOL

Yeh I sprayed some Sat. and its hard to get around without putting up on stands but it can be done. Glad I put on safety goggles for some backsplatter and mist though. Need rags maybe brush to spread around hard to spray areas, wipe overspray. Painters tape good idea.
But looks like hose n nozzle on Fluid film can reach anywhere. Haven't tried that one yet.

Anyone one else some got good tips for the solution please add.
I know it sucks having to do this. But I don't mind, its not worth it to me.
Thanks for your detailed response. My rust is much worse than yours. I think I'm going to try Rust-Oleum rust dissolver first, then flat black Rust-Oleum paint, then crc corrosion inhibitor.
Sponsored

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
“Anyone one else some got good tips for the solution please add.“

Crawling around and shooting solvent based chemicals from all angles would be a good time to be wearing a 3M 6000 series respirator along with that eye protection. Inexpensive, effective, useful for all kinds of things.

Jack

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I agree. After months of planning my F-150, I just placed an order for a RAM Limited.

It wasn't just the rust and other problems, it was the complete lack of concern that Ford displayed towards its customers. I finally decided I didn't want to give them my money.
This dude right here did what a whole lot of you should do. I had a bad experience with Dodge in the early 2000’s but based on extensive data on google, this new ram is a solid F150 killer.
Broski please message me when you get your new truck. Would love to hear about it. Best wishes

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
I agree. After months of planning my F-150, I just placed an order for a RAM Limited.

It wasn't just the rust and other problems, it was the complete lack of concern that Ford displayed towards its customers. I finally decided I didn't want to give them my money.
I've th
This dude right here did what a whole lot of you should do. I had a bad experience with Dodge in the early 2000’s but based on extensive data on google, this new ram is a solid F150 killer.
Broski please message me when you get your new truck. Would love to hear about it. Best wishes
Yeah I've thought about trading mine in for a Ram. But holding out waiting on Elon's silver bullet truck.

MrHat102

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
I checked the F-150 Platinum I Purchased 5/1. Looks like the dealer or factory already cleaned it up and painted it. U Joint has some rust but not real bad. I would say they did a little better than a half ass job. would guess they took care of 85% of it.

Sponsored

Chenko24

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 Ecobbost 3.5L tuned + performance mods
Occupation
Supervisor
1620066517635.png

Thought you were going to say nearer 3,000km. Rust aside the shock tube cover is already starting to rub. Normally only happens when been off roading and caught something around the shock absorber.
This truck has not seen dirt yet. I'm going to have to look at this and bring it to the dealers attention.

socaldogmom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Unfortunately yes.
Just curious if you have heard anything from Ford about your buyback request. So far we haven't heard from anyone since we left the dealer last Saturday and the truck is still there. No phone call or email...

Gman73

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger, 2021 Ford F-150 on order
Occupation
Facilities Manager
Mine just landed at the dealership today after a month + stay on Ramp 59, at a quick glance don’t see much of a rust issue on mine. Will take a better look before taking delivery.

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 48DFFBCF-EE10-4D97-98E9-CC4E727806E0

TheGoodLife

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet

Is there a good RAM forum you’ve found that is similar to this forum? I’m making the same move (or possibly a Tundra). This has been my favorite Ford forum, and I’d love to find a similar helpful and kind community there.

Thanks!

Bravo36

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch FX 4
Occupation
Retired Fed LEO, Current Federal Contractor
Is there a good RAM forum you’ve found that is similar to this forum? I’m making the same move (or possibly a Tundra). This has been my favorite Ford forum, and I’d love to find a similar helpful and kind community there.

Thanks!
I completely agree. If I had to do it all over again, I'd likely take the same route! Sick and tired of them blowing people off.

Sponsored

KGB81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150
Posting my pics again for everyone's ref. Kansas 2/12 build.

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? P3180421.JPG

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? P3180409.JPG

This will be ford canada (canadian road managment)'s problem in 22 months.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Yup add me to the list of buying another brand of truck after knowing what I know now. Ford has been good to me in the past and has always fixed their screwups.

Telling me to pack sand and selling me a rusted truck in the first place tells me Ford doesn’t care.

Jlwatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 xlt

Thanks!
5thgenrams.com is pretty good. Having owned two ram trucks that had zero issues before my 2021 f150 I regret not getting another or at least waiting on the new tundra. Ford also told me to kick rocks when I took mine in For the same issue.

socaldogmom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
5thgenrams.com is pretty good. Having owned two ram trucks that had zero issues before my 2021 f150 I regret not getting another or at least waiting on the new tundra. Ford also told me to kick rocks when I took mine in For the same issue.
Our is sitting at the dealership without resolution. My husband spoke with a supervisor at Ford customer service on Friday, 5/1 and were told a specific person would contact us on Monday 5/3. Not a word from anyone all week and today is Friday 5/7. Ford sold us a brand new truck with rust and corrosion that a reasonable person would find unacceptable in a brand new 70k vehicle. We took the truck to Ford to report the problem 18 days after purchase. Very disappointed in Fords lack of customer service.

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
First they Lie, then they delay, then they cancel the complaint, you open another they lie, then they delay then they pass it off to another "Customer Service" person, then they lie, then they delay, then they pass off to yet a third party only after your tone cranks up. You need to stick to your guns and demand a new truck, period! I did "supposed" to get a new one the local dealer ordered, not the dealer that sold the POS but another. I have ordered one with additional 4k worth of options. But it may not come in till the 2022's are out. If that is the case I may wait till the 2022's and maybe the electric one.
Sponsored