Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Ford is aware of the rust issue. They this is from the second time I dropped my truck off to get the rust addressed.
They now have a code for the service advisor to enter for the rust and corrosion. But still are not offering to support the Dealers to do the work to clean up the rust. All I told the Advisor was rust and corrosion on the underside. I have always been a loyal Ford guy but this Is making it hard.
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? AC004401-2C39-4705-B6E8-51FBA5A7283E
Sponsored

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
Ford is aware of the rust issue. They this is from the second time I dropped my truck off to get the rust addressed.
They now have a code for the service advisor to enter for the rust and corrosion. But still are not offering to support the Dealers to do the work to clean up the rust. All I told the Advisor was rust and corrosion on the underside. I have always been a loyal Ford guy but this Is making it hard.
AC004401-2C39-4705-B6E8-51FBA5A7283E.jpeg
"CLEAN UP THE RUST"?
You can go to your local junk yard and buy a truck for about $XX,000.00 less and have the "rust cleaned up".

There is NO F-ING WAY IN HELL that I'm signing off on a rust bucket that got "cleaned up"!

If my truck shows up like that, they can either REPLACE the rusted parts or I'll start all over again, order a 2022 from another dealer and SUIT for the price difference!

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Because the class action will be cheaper for them in the long run.

Have you ever gotten one of those large class action law suit payouts? $5.35/person is a whole lot cheaper than actually paying to clean up and repaint all the affected axles, and replace all the affected exhaust systems.
For sure. Cost me at least 18$ in paint and rust protectant to fix mine.

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_2030.JPG

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4

IMG_2030.JPG
"F" THAT!

If your Bed was rusted like that... would YOU have bought it anyway and just "cleaned up the rust"?

We need to hold Ford's feet to the fire with this rust bull5hit!

Loyalty is one thing but letting them get away with rusty murder...

I have a GREAT relationship with my dealer but if they try to tell me that a rusty, rotten undercarriage on a brand new $XX,000.00 truck is "MY" problem... they're going to have a very nasty relationship with my Attorney!

I'm not waiting for MONTHS for something I could get on craigslist right now.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I purchased a 2010 and 2019 STX and there was zero rust underneath when I bought them. I sold my 2019 to my son a few weeks ago and it had zero rust. My KR should arrive in the next week or two. IF it has rust like I see in many of these pics, I won't take delivery until it is corrected. Having been a Ford employee years ago, I'm sure the sales manager will come in and give his pitch for me to take it and he will make it right but if you refuse delivery until the problem is corrected that will guarantee your dealer makes it right.
Unfortunately there are no guarantees in call cases. My dealer made it very clear that if I didn’t want the truck for any reason they already had a line of buyers for it.

Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Not fixed 100%

1619162933143.png
For sure not 100%. Have been contemplating whether it is worth spending the time (hard area to mask) on something I will never see and has absolutely no functional issue. I actually might. Mainly wanted to fix the unsightly differential rust before it got worse. The look of that bothered me. Love the look now!

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
"F" THAT!

If your Bed was rusted like that... would YOU have bought it anyway and just "cleaned up the rust"?

We need to hold Ford's feet to the fire with this rust bull5hit!

Loyalty is one thing but letting them get away with rusty murder...

I have a GREAT relationship with my dealer but if they try to tell me that a rusty, rotten undercarriage on a brand new $XX,000.00 truck is "MY" problem... they're going to have a very nasty relationship with my Attorney!

I'm not waiting for MONTHS for something I could get on craigslist right now.
Guess this is a difference in perspective. The hour I spent doing this was much faster and easier for me than spending many hours calling, posting and stressing about it. I understand not everyone can or is willing to do this but for me it was a simpler solution than the getting stressed and hiring an attorney while the rust only gets worse. Respect your path but I would rather just fix it and move on.
And no, if my bed was rusted, which is out of my skill set to repair,I would have sought help.

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
That repair made it worse and I would not accept that at all. In the long run this will hurt Ford deeply financially.
Class action may in fact refund the cost of the truck and you get another one or you take the money and buy another brand without rust. But the PR or I should the bad PR this can and will be brought on them will not help them sell cars, vans or trucks, but wil cost them millions if not hundreds of millions.

2021KR

First Name
Dwaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch
Occupation
Retired

IMG_2030.JPG
So what is your recipe for cleaning up the rear? I may have spoke too soon about not accepting mine!

Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
So what is your recipe for cleaning up the rear? I may have spoke too soon about not accepting mine!
I initially bought some Rust Oleum Rust Dissolver but in the end decided not to use this as it seemed kind of messy and I figured I would need to spray, rinse and let dry which would take awhile. Others here have had good results with it. My truck, admittedly, was not as bad as some of the others I have seen. I ended up using a wire wheel on my drill to remove the rust and paint in the areas effected.. This worked really well and was quite quick. I then taped over bolts, stickers and other small areas to prevent overspray and used a few rectangular pieces of cardboard tucked behind the differential and other areas. I do not think this is very important but I wanted it to look good without overspray all over. I then sprayed Dupli-Colr Rust Barrier (just what they had at local auto parts store) over the cleaned areas as it is designed for use over rust and bare metal. I sprayed the normally unpainted areas with CRC SP-400 which is a long term corrosion inhibitor. It has a slightly yellow color but not really noticeable. Overall looks really good which is most important for the differential as rust there will never cause a structural problem. I wasn't sure what to do with the area circled in red on the photo 5 posts above. Can't get to it with the wire wheel and hard to mask. Again as it is not a structural issue at all but purely cosmetic and in this case, had to see, I may just spray some SP-400 on it or just leave it. The exhaust does have me a bit worried as it has more corrosion than I would expect to see at this point but I figure I will probably replace it for sound improvement long before it rusts. Can always use the warranty if it gets that bad.
This may be beyond some peoples skill set or patience but I like working on cars and overall not a bad way to spend 60-90 minutes. I won't complain if Ford wants to fix it later but wanted to get it cleaned up now before it got out of hand.
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_2139.JPG

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
What
You aren't the only one laughing.

The Ford dealers stuffing tens of thousands of your dollars in their pockets as you drive your rust bucket to the local hardware store to buy brillo pads and cans of rustolium must be wetting their pants.

I guess P.T. Barnum was right.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
Guess this is a difference in perspective. The hour I spent doing this was much faster and easier for me than spending many hours calling, posting and stressing about it. I understand not everyone can or is willing to do this but for me it was a simpler solution than the getting stressed and hiring an attorney while the rust only gets worse. Respect your path but I would rather just fix it and move on.
And no, if my bed was rusted, which is out of my skill set to repair,I would have sought help.
I completely understand, believe me!

But for what we're paying for these trucks, Ford should be ashamed of themselves for ever shipping something like that in the 1st place.

And if they're not "ashamed"... they can at least be "regretful" but ONLY if we make it that way.

Someone at Ford saw that and shipped it anyway. That person needs to be fired and the UAW can get them a job at GM where they belong.
Sponsored