Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
For the guys with as much of that rust issue as seen in the photos above, would you have taken the truck if you noticed it at the dealership? What would you do it about and what would you want?
I'll probably have a look when the truck arrives in a couple of weeks.
If that bad I'll most likely bring it up to the sales guy.
But, no matter the outcome of that discussion, I'm not gonna get my panties twisted up.
I park outside, on the dirt, and I'm not prone to crawling under the truck if I can avoid it.
(Hence, Bed removal for fuel pump service on both of my existing trucks in less than 60 days)
Much easier to work on something looking directly at it or down at it.---never up at it.
I'm certainly not going to abuse the new truck (My Ranger has not a single dent in 15 years), but I have no intentions of babying this thing either.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
I lease all my vehicles so it doesn’t really matter to me how rusty things are. That being said, if I was buying and intended to keep it for several years I might think otherwise.
I'll probably have a look when the truck arrives in a couple of weeks.
If that bad I'll most likely bring it up to the sales guy.
But, no matter the outcome of that discussion, I'm not gonna get my panties twisted up.
I park outside, on the dirt, and I'm not prone to crawling under the truck if I can avoid it.
(Hence, Bed removal for fuel pump service on both of my existing trucks in less than 60 days)
Much easier to work on something looking directly at it or down at it.---never up at it.
I'm certainly not going to abuse the new truck (My Ranger has not a single dent in 15 years), but I have no intentions of babying this thing either.
Agree it's not a big deal. I'm sure Ford will correct it. It should have been caught on inspection since they held it over Qc and parts issues for over a month and half. Usually keep vehicles for 3 to 4 years so I don't want any resale issues later down the road.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Just imagine how much of a field day the dealership would have on a trade in with that amount of rust?

Usually, it takes a few winters in the Northeast before a rear axle starts looking like that. A lot of times, it won’t really get worse but sometimes the sheetmetal differential cover will rust through and start leaking. Sometimes, a bracket or u-bolt will weaken and crack, though usually by then; the body and frame are rusted worse and the truck is “dog tracking” down the street sideways because the rear axle isn’t located properly.

Whether the rust is superficial or not, it’s not a desirable thing on a new or used vehicle. It’s not going to go away or get better.

As others have mentioned, these axles likely sat exposed to the elements while waiting for a truck to be bolted to, most times the wait might be a few days but it’s very possible that these “1 in 100“ axles sat for months while production was delayed. The bright shiny zinc hardware absent of any corrosion in the detailed pictures of the Texas Powerboost Platinum suggests that they just DGAF about how rusted the axles were and started assembling trucks.

In the Southwest, people get pretty spoiled about working on cars, my 2006 truck that I just sold looked brand new underneath, many people won’t even purchase a used truck at any price if there’s any rust on it, knowing what a hassle it can be compared to a rust free vehicle.

BDUBSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Same here. There is absolutely no paint on the rear diff so rust is inevitable. I bathed everything in fluid film yesterday to get me through the winter. Will spray some rustoleum in the summer.
I've had good luck with fluid film. spray several parts of the underside about once a year and it seems to do what I need it to do. Obviously, those who live in the north have harsher environments so every 6 months probably makes sense.

Sponsored

eff150

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 3 series
This thread alone has me reconsidering my order. I feel like this is very abnormal for NEW trucks. Has anybody not had this issue?? Or have any pictures with the underbody protection installed? Thanks.

johnday

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 f150 xlt/fx4/sport 2004 Ranger edge SC
Occupation
retired

Louis

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.enormis.net
Vehicles
21 F150 Crew 3.5 Lariat Sport 502a 6.5bed FX4
Occupation
Biz Owner
Yes I had rust on my rear end as well. My Lariat came from Dearborn Michigan And it was built in November I did not get it till the first week in January.
Luckily I was able to find this when I put it on the lift and I Took a can of black spray paint and I spray painted to heck out of the rear end . I fluid filmed the rest of the truck and then once the paint was dry also fluid filmed The rear end area. As I do live in northwest Pennsylvania!
Hey FORD!!!!!!
Can you get on your suppliers and please ask them to Protect the rear ends...
My Best friend ships Products out of the country and is always telling me about desiccant And heat sealed Vapor Barrier bags...
Although I'm sure these are not being shipped Overseas and Ford is going to roll their eyes at my suggestion but they could at least put Some type Of paint on these damn things! Come on man!!!!

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Yep--less rust on equipment travelling overseas.
Wouldn't take much--

Sponsored

TomH

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I’ve actually never tried doing that to be honest. I’m thinking that the salt would eventually win the battle, but I could be wrong about that.
In the construction business in Florida We use ospho . Some of our equipment is in salt mist for months . Do not use on aluminum!!

http://www.ospho.com/

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Found heavy rust on rear end and some on both shock mounts. Any oth[/QUOTE]
Found heavy rust on rear end and some on both shock mounts. Any others out there?
For a comparison, here are two photos of my 18 Lariat I took today. Picked up the truck April 2018. The city here uses a lot of road salt and the weather is generally very conducive to salt doing a number on vehicle. So two full winters plus where we are today.

So I think you are being polite in saying that’s too much rust for. 75 K truck

H
Found heavy rust on rear end and some on both shock mounts. Any others out there?
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 73E84334-7108-4D7A-BBA1-79D49A70F715

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? B0956B75-82D2-4276-B06B-F4CA3AC361BB

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Yes I had rust on my rear end as well. My Lariat came from Dearborn Michigan And it was built in November I did not get it till the first week in January.
Luckily I was able to find this when I put it on the lift and I Took a can of black spray paint and I spray painted to heck out of the rear end . I fluid filmed the rest of the truck and then once the paint was dry also fluid filmed The rear end area. As I do live in northwest Pennsylvania!
Hey FORD!!!!!!
Can you get on your suppliers and please ask them to Protect the rear ends...
My Best friend ships Products out of the country and is always telling me about desiccant And heat sealed Vapor Barrier bags...
Although I'm sure these are not being shipped Overseas and Ford is going to roll their eyes at my suggestion but they could at least put Some type Of paint on these damn things! Come on man!!!!
If they can’t even make a truck with doors that close in the winter(safety issue) there’s no way in the world they would even think about handling some rust that usually goes unseen.
It’s really disturbing to see how such a large group of people are so loyal to a company the treats them so poorly without even trying to hide it.

Every single person I’ve encountered on this website have been nothing but genuinely nice people that are just trying to share information and help each other out.

I’m on this site almost every day while I’m waiting for my new truck send I’ve learned so much valuable stuff from first-hand experiences but I also get a whole lot of sad feels seeing all these nice people have to deal with Ford‘s inability to deliver a quality product that People are waiting for and buying with their hard earned money.

J509

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited
I didn't catch it when I took delivery, but I plan to ask my dealer about it Monday. I live in NC so no slated roads or anything.
[/QUOTE
Please post what the dealership’s response was after speaking with them. I haven’t received my truck yet but expect I will have the same issue.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
While I realize that seeing surface rust on the undercarriage of a brand new truck is a bit disconcerting, but even if it did not come with any surface rust when originally picked up, I would think within a matter of weeks after driving it that surface rust would develop anyway.

Am I off here?

Or is the expectation that there should not be any surface rust anywhere within the first X number of months driving the vehicle?
Sponsored