Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 500A Powerboost 4x4
If any of you are in Northern CA, have rust issues, and wanna meet up to record a group video of the rust, let me know. Will post to YouTube to get attention. 5+ trucks lined up next to each other and all of them rusted might get some attention.
I'm in the East Bay Area. Let me know how I can join in this.
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
This was my 2016 F150 King Ranch. I had painted the rear pumpkin /axle and you can see areas I missed. This is nothing new.
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_20160617_135227629

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat, Bronco; Audi R8, S5, Q7; Cayenne
In reading this thread - outside of a couple (hopefully) outlier situations, is this something bad enough to refuse delivery without remediation?

I realize that it's a case by case determination, but I'm just trying to get a gauge for ["while not perfect, this is kind of the norm"] vs ["this is totally unacceptable and needs to be fixed"].

I pretty anal with my stuff (or at least I thought I was until Currybob showed pictures of his detailing cabinet). I'm just trying to decide how big of an issue I make of this.

HMG2Ford

First Name
Mic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 Ford F150 Lariat ... 2017 Infiniti Q60S
Occupation
Retired
Very much a personal choice but you are spending a lot of $$ for this truck. I'm not anal but expect a surfaces that is defined to be paint be painted under the vehicle just like I expect no dents or scratches on the doors and the windows to go up and down, etc.. This is not hard for the Dealer to fix in most cases but there are some extreme cases that are just down right rejects IMHO. I've not received my truck yet but have clearly set expectations to my dealer for me to accept delivery.

Cogulator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Thunderbird 429
I just purchased a 2021 KR Smoked Quartz today, which was built at the Dearborn plant. There was some light rust underneath mine which I called out at the dealership. They took it back to repair and cleaned it up, but there’s still some light rust. A quick Google on this topic and there are hundreds of threads specific to Ford F150s having this issue over the years. A very few which actually had frames rust through, but most of the posts I read suggest this isn’t uncommon with some even saying there’s a rust technique used to protect the parts from further rusting (not sure I buy that).
9AB98664-EDF8-435C-9423-143FC04C406A.jpeg
Just so you know, there are several ways to use rust to actually protect metals. Usually in the form of a sacrifical metal that's part of the coating. That's actually what makes galvanized steel, galvanized steel. It's also how aluminium gets its resistant coating.

On another note, I lived very close to several dealers when I was on college back a couple years and helped quite a few friends find good used cars. I've seen many C branded trucks leave the lot with actual rust scaling on the frames or one guy actually had his brand new 2018 blow.a break line from rust. It's kinda odd when it happens but rust does happen on even new vehicles. Hopefully ford issues a fix for it

Sponsored

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Thanks. I’d encourage everyone to read the article and leave a comment at the bottom. Further pressure Ford to fix it.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Thanks. I’d encourage everyone to read the article and leave a comment at the bottom. Further pressure Ford to fix it.
Done. At the end of the day I'll likely fix it myself because I don't trust monkeys, but it's disappointing on my first ever new vehicle purchase if it happens. I suspect if this was happening on the previous gen Ford will do the minimum to shut people up

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Done. At the end of the day I'll likely fix it myself because I don't trust monkeys, but it's disappointing on my first ever new vehicle purchase if it happens. I suspect if this was happening on the previous gen Ford will do the minimum to shut people up
In your past, if you have purchased used trucks with a nice pretty undercarriage, I can assure you that they were painted and spiffed up after the fact. That's what I did back when I was buying plain Jane trucks. I get a nice but plain truck and get the underside cleaned and PAINTED, put some wagon wheels on and stick a pinstripe on it and put it up for sale. I've bought plenty of new Rams/Dodges and Fords and when I was in Florida the ole Rustoleum rattle can would come out the first time I waxed the truck. I'd cover the truck with wax (not buffed out) and then grab the rattle can and get the undercarriage all pretty. Then buff it out. That way I didn't need to worry about over spray.
The manufacturers have no idea if a rearend is going into a fleet truck or a macdaddy Limited as suspension parts hit the line. So they aren't going to spec a different finish between the two.
Anyway, I havent really looked under my new Platinum yet and I really don't care what it looks like. I'm figuring it'll have some rust just like all my others have had. Not losing sleep and I didn't even bother to look under when I picked it up a couple of weeks ago. As soon as the weather warms up around this ice box called Michigan. I'll spend an afternoon and polish, wax and paint. Standard operating procedure for me with my new stuff.

gspete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Yep, rust on my rear diff. I talked to my dealer and he said "Yep all of them have Rust on them. It's just how it is" Arizona, rust? I get it if your in the NorthEast, but come on....

Sponsored

azDcab21

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost/FX4
Yep, rust on my rear diff. I talked to my dealer and he said "Yep all of them have Rust on them. It's just how it is" Arizona, rust? I get it if your in the NorthEast, but come on....
What dealer did your truck from? I'm still waiting for one from Larry H Miller in Mesa.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Rust-today I visitied my dealership & had the discussion about rust & batteries. I showed my General Sales Manager (happens to be my salesman) the forum collection (pictures) of various rust on axles etc.. He gave me the response that if it came from Ford - there is nothing they can do about it. So, keeping my cool (coz I was pissed), I showed more pictures & he agreed it was excessive. I'll wait & see @ time of delivery with the service manager.

Batteries - he said (from his point of view), it seem the dealerships were not doing their best job of PDI. He explained to me his service department places batteries on a charge & runs a battery test & then prints it out. You can bet I'll remember the conversation and ask to see printout. Haha, still taking my Foxwell Analyer and runnung a test myself.

xspeedy

First Name
Rahul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 RAM 1500 Limited 4x2
I didn’t notice significant rust on my 2018 F-150, but I do see some underbody rust on my relatively new, garage kept, and only driven in the wet once (thanks to COVID and related WFH). On the RAM forums, some folks have called out significant surface rust on metal framing that is behind the dash (which isn’t even exposed to weather!) And then there is the Jeep Wrangler JL when they first came out, with rusted frames from the factory.

I imagine this gets sorted with the suppliers in time. It is like the manufacturers are trimming costs by using water color instead of enamel for their steel components.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...n-my-brand-new-2019-ram-laramie-normal.21115/

NO LIMITS

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Self Employed
First 3 pictures are under my eleven-week-old f-150 Limited; second two are under my 16-year-old Expedition. Notice any difference?
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_4873
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_4877
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_4874
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_4885
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_4886
What in the hell did I just spend 80 grand on!
Sponsored