Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
I'm following this with much interest and plan to have Granger put my new Lariat on a lift and send me pics before I make arrangements to pick up the truck.

I did a search on the 'Issues, Repairs, Warranty, etc.' section for 'corrosion prevention rust' and didn't get a hit. Has handling drive train rust issues been handled elsewhere on this forum? Or should we perhaps start a thread on what G14 F150 owners are doing when the dealer fails to respond? Those of you with prior experience with specific products would likely have very helpful comments for those of us who do not.

Jack
Prescott AZ
Dealer will likely be willing to fix before delivery. If you bring it up. The issue has been alot of them won't touch it after you sign because Ford hasn't been willing to pay dealers to do the cleaning and treatment.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
I'm very interested in what you guys think is the proper remediation that the dealer should perform. I'm not expert in this but do you think that the dealer should offer to 1) wire brush off the rust, 2) clean all effected surfaces, 3) paint with some rust-proof coating, etc? Is there more to it than that? How many labor hours should this be? Thanks.

My truck comes in next week so I want to be prepared for the worst.....
If you see an issue just ask dealer before signing they will likely do what's needed. If you sign paperwork it's likely not going to be as easy as it should be.

HMG2Ford

First Name
Mic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 Ford F150 Lariat ... 2017 Infiniti Q60S
Occupation
Retired
I'm very interested in what you guys think is the proper remediation that the dealer should perform. I'm not expert in this but do you think that the dealer should offer to 1) wire brush off the rust, 2) clean all effected surfaces, 3) paint with some rust-proof coating, etc? Is there more to it than that? How many labor hours should this be? Thanks.

I have been very outspoken about delivering a product which is pristine but it's really about individuals expectations. Your have laid out a plan that's solid and what I have told my dealer to expect. The only thing I would add is to have the Dealer take pictures upon delivery from the trucking company. Documentation is the best method to understand the severity of the issue and allows you to inspect those critical areas that have been reworked.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Could - be.

It's going to come down to dealership culture. Some will & others will not. For those that will not fix them and you say that you are not taking the truck;

NOTE: you could be putting yourself in jeopardy of your truck being sold to someone else. For some it will be a catch 22.

I don't like the fact of rust at all but - as I said before it's all going to come down to how well your dealership wants to handle it. Some will fix it & others will not.
My thoughts as well Jim, I think we have aired this out well enough that those about to take delivery will have a good idea what to look for. The key seems to be document (photos) it during a pre-inspection and before you do anything else. Bring it to the dealers attention and most of us feel most dealers will make it right there, were Ford is not stepping up to the plate.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
If any of you are in Northern CA, have rust issues, and wanna meet up to record a group video of the rust, let me know. Will post to YouTube to get attention. 5+ trucks lined up next to each other and all of them rusted might get some attention.

Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I haven't bothered to read all 336 posts. The rearends of trucks and cars have become rusty looking for decades. About the only way it could be prevented successfully is to powder coat them. Ford won't pay a dealer to through paint on them. It'll be an endless repair for a dealer because it'll return just because of the location. It's constantly being peppered with road debris.

The issue can be "fixed" in less time than it takes to go to the dealership. And the fix will need to be redone every 6-12 months....

Guys, me included in the past, with big lifted trucks are forever having to paint the undercarriage because so much of it is exposed with a big lift.
When you have a new pair of boots, at some point you’re going to get some dirt on them. But it’s always nice to have that brand new pair of boots feel when you first get them.

I wouldn’t spend a couple hundred dollars on some boots if they are ready had some dirt on them. So I don’t think these guys should have to spend thousands of dollars on a product that already has some stuff on it especially when that stuff isn’t as easy as dirt to just wipe off and could also lead to further problems down the road.

I think the main gripe is that it’s not fair to pay brand new truck prices when you’re getting some thing that doesn’t appear to be brand new.

Since it’s not happening to every single truck I think they should at least give a little cash back to the boys that weren’t so lucky. Especially guys like Mr. bandy that will have a harder time fixing it with his back problem. That’s so not fair

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX

Currybob didn’t seem to have too much difficulty fixing the amount of rust that he had. So if he could do that at his house the dealership shouldn’t have any problems fixing it in their professional-grade shops.

But some of these other guys have much more severe cases that will take a lot more time to fix.

Anybody that has the rust will have more or less than somebody else but every one of them deserves a nice, fresh and rust-free underbody.
Some guys have posted pics where there wasn’t any rust and it was all black and clean. Those pics made me drool. But that shouldn’t be something to drool over. That should be standard stuff.

I’m also waiting for my truck and I really hope there’s no rust because I already know my dealer won’t fix it. They’re a “take it or leave” kind of dealership.

clipperqb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 3.5 EB, Super Crew, 4X4
Currybob didn’t seem to have too much difficulty fixing the amount of rust that he had. So if he could do that at his house the dealership shouldn’t have any problems fixing it in their professional-grade shops.

But some of these other guys have much more severe cases that will take a lot more time to fix.

Anybody that has the rust will have more or less than somebody else but every one of them deserves a nice, fresh and rust-free underbody.
Some guys have posted pics where there wasn’t any rust and it was all black and clean. Those pics made me drool. But that shouldn’t be something to drool over. That should be standard stuff.

I’m also waiting for my truck and I really hope there’s no rust because I already know my dealer won’t fix it. They’re a “take it or leave” kind of dealership.
I'm expecting my truck in a few weeks. Yesterday I stopped at the dealer to look at the 21's mainly to look at the colors. Glanced through the wheel wells at 5 or 6 of them. All had some degree of rust...

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
When you have a new pair of boots, at some point you’re going to get some dirt on them. But it’s always nice to have that brand new pair of boots feel when you first get them.

I wouldn’t spend a couple hundred dollars on some boots if they are ready had some dirt on them. So I don’t think these guys should have to spend thousands of dollars on a product that already has some stuff on it especially when that stuff isn’t as easy as dirt to just wipe off and could also lead to further problems down the road.

I think the main gripe is that it’s not fair to pay brand new truck prices when you’re getting some thing that doesn’t appear to be brand new.

Since it’s not happening to every single truck I think they should at least give a little cash back to the boys that weren’t so lucky. Especially guys like Mr. bandy that will have a harder time fixing it with his back problem. That’s so not fair
Using your boots analogy. The soles of those say $1,000 cowboy boots that get all scuffed up the moment you walk around are the suspension of the truck which is not supposed to be visually pretty.

Trust me, they won't send the truck over to their body shops to "fix" the rust.... They're going to hand a rattle can to a porter and tell him to have at it.... Then you'll have overspray in plenty of places you don't want it. Be careful about what you ask for......

Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Using your boots analogy. The soles of those say $1,000 cowboy boots that get all scuffed up the moment you walk around are the suspension of the truck which is not supposed to be visually pretty.

Trust me, they won't send the truck over to their body shops to "fix" the rust.... They're going to hand a rattle can to a porter and tell him to have at it.... Then you'll have overspray in plenty of places you don't want it. Be careful about what you ask for......
Unfortunately that second paragraph of yours is all facts. Couldn’t agree more

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Vehicles generally don't rust in Florida, so it is unacceptable what you guys are experiencing. I just sold my 2019 Silverado due to the window leak fiasco and the undercarriage was mint after two years. I am now looking at a 2021 F150. I won't buy one until this is issue resolved.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
Vehicles generally don't rust in Florida, so it is unacceptable what you guys are experiencing. I just sold my 2019 Silverado due to the window leak fiasco and the undercarriage was mint after two years. I am now looking at a 2021 F150. I won't buy one until this is issue resolved.
Stuff rusts like crazy in Florida with all the salt in the air..... Lived there for nearly 30 years.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
Been here 14 years and no rust on any vehicles yet. 2013 Subaru, 2010 Honda, 2019 Chevy.... ymmv
I went through 2 a/c units when I was in Bradenton in 15 years. Rusted out. Any exposed metal rusts fast in the salt and humidity. Electrical connections, exposed fasteners. I was always chasing rust on my show cars. And.... Painting the undercarriage of my trucks fairly often.
Sponsored