Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
That's pretty weak they can't just clean it up and treat it for customer satisfaction especially at this price point on these trucks. I'm not giving in Ford needs to respond better! More to come on this.
Sponsored

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 500A Powerboost 4x4
This is what my dealer told me after contacting corporate.

842E0CA7-FEF9-4919-A2EC-F5367E816DBE.jpeg
This implies that warranty repairs may be applicable if owners refuse to purchase trucks with rust on these components. It makes life harder for the dealers, but perhaps if enough new buyers make it a condition of the offer, Ford will start to change. Too late for me since I already took delivery of my 2021 F150.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I'm working with a Ford consumer advocate since filing my initial claim. She's in Houston, so I haven't heard from her in a week, and frankly, I'm not going to bug her until next week.

Granger submitted a claim to Ford, but their rep said, essentially, tough beans, it's environmental.

Once I hear more from my "advocate", I'll share with this group.
If there was a hail storm and these new trucks got a bunch of dents all over them, that’s pretty much the same thing as it’s environmental with imperfections that don’t affect the performance of the vehicle.

The dealers would be scrambling to get them fixed knowing that it would be next to impossible to sell a truck with a bunch of dents without giving a juicy discount.

But since this is some thing that you couldn’t see when you bought the vehicle, and/or it wasn’t pointed out; that is just way too much of a shady, scumbag move for a billion company that’s been around for over 100 years.

And tough beans is such a mean thing to say to somebody, let alone a customer that you just ripped off for over $50k

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 AMB Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5 bed
This is what my dealer told me after contacting corporate.

842E0CA7-FEF9-4919-A2EC-F5367E816DBE.jpeg
What I take from that response is if you take delivery, then the rust is not a warrantable issue. If the dealer reports the rust prior to sale, then it is a warrantable issue.

Sponsored

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Could - be.

It's going to come down to dealership culture. Some will & others will not. For those that will not fix them and you say that you are not taking the truck;

NOTE: you could be putting yourself in jeopardy of your truck being sold to someone else. For some it will be a catch 22.

I don't like the fact of rust at all but - as I said before it's all going to come down to how well your dealership wants to handle it. Some will fix it & others will not.

N1TJ

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat EB 4x4 - Oxford White
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller • USAF Veteran
Could - be.

It's going to come down to dealership culture. Some will & others will not. For those that will not fix them and you say that you are not taking the truck;

NOTE: you could be putting yourself in jeopardy of your truck being sold to someone else. For some it will be a catch 22.

I don't like the fact of rust at all but - as I said before it's all going to come down to how well your dealership wants to handle it. Some will fix it & others will not.
Agreed. In most cases it's not worth losing your truck. I intend to put up a fight but if they won't budge I'll just make it known on their survey, reviews, and Twitter. It's all you can do until something clicks at Ford that "features" you might find on a 10 year old truck in the rust belt aren't acceptable on a brand new truck that cost $50k+.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Tyler - likewise I'm going to do the same. But not faulting the dealership - going to hit Ford up hard. If mine comes with any rust & the dealership will not fix it - I have a plan to do it myself - going to be painful for me (medical back issues), but I'll get it done. I been looking at the POR-15 product line.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Tyler - likewise I'm going to do the same. But not faulting the dealership - going to hit Ford up hard. If mine comes with any rust & the dealership will not fix it - I have a plan to do it myself - going to be painful for me (medical back issues), but I'll get it down. I been looking at the POR-15 product line.
Just wait before doing that. More on this coming soon.

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
For those who haven’t taken possession of your truck yet, make the dealer aware of the problem (my salesman didn’t know and was shocked when he crawled under the truck) and ask them to clean it off before completing the sale. My dealer did this and it took about an hour. If your dealer doesn’t have enough pride in their product to take this simple step, I’d suggest you find somewhere else to make your purchase. I bet 99 of 100 dealers will gladly clean it up to make you happy.

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I haven't bothered to read all 336 posts. The rearends of trucks and cars have become rusty looking for decades. About the only way it could be prevented successfully is to powder coat them. Ford won't pay a dealer to through paint on them. It'll be an endless repair for a dealer because it'll return just because of the location. It's constantly being peppered with road debris.

The issue can be "fixed" in less time than it takes to go to the dealership. And the fix will need to be redone every 6-12 months....

Guys, me included in the past, with big lifted trucks are forever having to paint the undercarriage because so much of it is exposed with a big lift.

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
I'm following this with much interest and plan to have Granger put my new Lariat on a lift and send me pics before I make arrangements to pick up the truck.

I did a search on the 'Issues, Repairs, Warranty, etc.' section for 'corrosion prevention rust' and didn't get a hit. Has handling drive train rust issues been handled elsewhere on this forum? Or should we perhaps start a thread on what G14 F150 owners are doing when the dealer fails to respond? Those of you with prior experience with specific products would likely have very helpful comments for those of us who do not.

Jack
Prescott AZ

Chris McN

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, 2021 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 3.5l EB
Occupation
Retired
I'm very interested in what you guys think is the proper remediation that the dealer should perform. I'm not expert in this but do you think that the dealer should offer to 1) wire brush off the rust, 2) clean all effected surfaces, 3) paint with some rust-proof coating, etc? Is there more to it than that? How many labor hours should this be? Thanks.

My truck comes in next week so I want to be prepared for the worst.....

HMG2Ford

First Name
Mic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 Ford F150 Lariat ... 2017 Infiniti Q60S
Occupation
Retired
I haven't bothered to read all 336 posts. The rearends of trucks and cars have become rusty looking for decades. About the only way it could be prevented successfully is to powder coat them. Ford won't pay a dealer to through paint on them. It'll be an endless repair for a dealer because it'll return just because of the location. It's constantly being peppered with road debris.

The issue can be "fixed" in less time than it takes to go to the dealership. And the fix will need to be redone every 6-12 months....

Guys, me included in the past, with big lifted trucks are forever having to paint the undercarriage because so much of it is exposed with a big lift.
Following the other posts enlightens the content. Upon delivery at the Dealer some individuals, such as myself, struggle with receiving a NEW vehicle (spending $30K to $80K) which has rust on the undercarriage. I'll manage my own rust after purchase.

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
I'm very interested in what you guys think is the proper remediation that the dealer should perform. I'm not expert in this but do you think that the dealer should offer to 1) wire brush off the rust, 2) clean all effected surfaces, 3) paint with some rust-proof coating, etc? Is there more to it than that? How many labor hours should this be? Thanks.

My truck comes in next week so I want to be prepared for the worst.....
At a minimum, I’d expect them to wire brush off the rust. That at least gets it back to original specs.
Sponsored