Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
I have a similar issue, my truck took two weeks from build date to delivery, so it’s not like it was sitting outside for months. All I can think of is maybe the convoy transport was open and exposed and it was covered in salt water for a week. Here is what mine looks like brand new.

6D227D20-8F2A-49B8-BBC2-DF72BEA2C916.jpeg
Yeah that makes sense. Are you going to submit it to ford? I'll post an update when they respond. Dealer said 1 out 100 this happens.
Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if the axle assemblies were stored out in the elements before being installed on the truck production line. They could have ben stored outside wherever the axle assemblies are built, then shipped to Dearborn and stored outside some more, rusting all the while.

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
I wonder if the axle assemblies were stored out in the elements before being installed on the truck production line. They could have ben stored outside wherever the axle assemblies are built, then shipped to Dearborn and stored outside some more, rusting all the while.
I was thinking that too. The bottom end is the worst. Like it was sitting in water puddle.

Sponsored

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have a similar issue, my truck took two weeks from build date to delivery, so it’s not like it was sitting outside for months. All I can think of is maybe the convoy transport was open and exposed and it was covered in salt water for a week. Here is what mine looks like brand new.

Geez....did you discuss with the dealership?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Pretty sure the rear ends and the frames are kept outside, staged, until needed.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB

My truck was built on 11/24 and I took delivery on 12/5. I just went to the garage and took a look at my axle from the same vantage point as your picture. I’d say mine looks a little bit rustier than yours, especially on the pumpkin. I have also been driving on salted roads.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
My truck was built on 11/24 and I took delivery on 12/5. I just went to the garage and took a look at my axle from the same vantage point as your picture. I’d say mine looks a little bit rustier than yours, especially on the pumpkin. I have also been driving on salted roads.
Yeah my pumpkin is looking about the same. My picture didn't capture it. I did look at other truck on lot none had this. They said about 1 in 100 had this issue.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
For the guys with as much of that rust issue as seen in the photos above, would you have taken the truck if you noticed it at the dealership? What would you do it about and what would you want?

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
For the guys with as much of that rust issue as seen in the photos above, would you have taken the truck if you noticed it at the dealership? What would you do it about and what would you want?
I didn't see it until currybob's post two weeks after purchase. Didn't think about inspection of the rear axle fwd section it's mainly on front so looking from behind you really don't see much. I just want in cleaned, painted and treated or they can replace the rear end.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I lease all my vehicles so it doesn’t really matter to me how rusty things are. That being said, if I was buying and intended to keep it for several years I might think otherwise.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I lease all my vehicles so it doesn’t really matter to me how rusty things are. That being said, if I was buying and intended to keep it for several years I might think otherwise.
I lease too but I would still be really bothered about seeing something to that extent on a brand new truck.
Sponsored