Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
If my KR comes in looking like the above, I don't think I'll accept it. With some of the problems I've read about on this forum, I'm having second thoughts. I have a 2018 Lariat now that I'm perfectly happy with. I guess we'll see.
That would be a shame for this thing is really cool! I traded my 2018 KR also and was very pleased with that truck but man did Ford hit a home run with this new Gen.

When yours comes in, inspect it and if you have any rust, ask them what they are going to do about it.

Parts do not need replacing but some cleaning, wire-brushing and repainting is needed.

but that is just my opinion.

Good luck all
Sponsored

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
Dropped my truck at the dealership this morning. They just called me that said the rust "does not impact the truck's performance" so they are not going to clean it up... I'm going to reach back out to Ford. Also going to talk with the dealership where I purchased the truck. Littler further to go, but I want this rust cleaned up. I've been polite so far, but my patience is being tested.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Then it’s time to blast all rust VIN #s, the date of production and delivery dealerships names all over the social media - FB, TWITTER etc.. I still stand by my words - it’s unacceptable for a new vehicle to arrive with rust period. Shit, I was watching a YouTube video back in 17, 18 showing the Dearborn plant production and it showed a long line of 150 axles- zero rust.

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
Then it’s time to blast all rust VIN #s, the date of production and delivery dealerships names all over the social media - FB, TWITTER etc.. I still stand by my words - it’s unacceptable for a new vehicle to arrive with rust period. Shit, I was watching a YouTube video back in 17, 18 showing the Dearborn plant production and it showed a long line of 150 axles- zero rust.
Agreed, Ford will never address it unless we start posting our rusty axles everywhere and put their brand name on blast

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
Agreed, Ford will never address it unless we start posting our rusty axles everywhere and put their brand name on blast
If the selling dealer refuses take care of the problem or just him haws around about it make sure you get their a.. on the survey from Ford. Once years ago I reminded the sales manager that I hadn’t filled out the survey yet and the problem was taken care of immediately. They’re scared when it comes to the survey.

Sponsored

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
I’m curious as to why Ford would say this is a dealer problem. The dealers should be rejecting these trucks right?

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
That would be a shame for this thing is really cool! I traded my 2018 KR also and was very pleased with that truck but man did Ford hit a home run with this new Gen.

When yours comes in, inspect it and if you have any rust, ask them what they are going to do about it.

Parts do not need replacing but some cleaning, wire-brushing and repainting is needed.

but that is just my opinion.

Good luck all
Bob is right truck is really great! I'm not happy with the
I’m curious as to why Ford would say this is a dealer problem. The dealers should be rejecting these trucks right?
The dealer and I missed it. They said mine would have been rejected. Lucky me! I just don't want it to be an issue when I upgrade to Cybertruck. I'm having some other issues I'm not too happy with. Probably some early build issues and bugs I'm sure will be resolved over time. Still giving ford a little more time to respond to dealer warranty claim on rust but patients are getting thin. They can do better! This truck is still a big upgrade over previous gens and drives amazing!

Rich55Marshall

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert
If the selling dealer refuses take care of the problem or just him haws around about it make sure you get their a.. on the survey from Ford. Once years ago I reminded the sales manager that I hadn’t filled out the survey yet and the problem was taken care of immediately. They’re scared when it comes to the survey.
I used to work for a little computer company named after a fruit and I can tell you that companies and stores live and DIE by these surveys. My truck is still "in production" but you can bet your behind I'll be calling any rust to my dealer's attention. Social Media can be our friend if we work this correctly.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Picked up my truck last night, when I pulled in I saw it parked in the back and crawled underneath with my Petzl headlamp on for a good ten minutes or more. Later on, when I keyed it on, it had 7.3 miles on it.

I did see some light rust on the very front of the axle and differential, however, I don’t think it was from the axle. I was able to scrape it off with my fingernail and it looked more like a splash from rusty water, almost like when you drive up on an old ferry in the rain, driving through rust puddles. Perhaps some of this is from rail transport or just driving around industrial zones.

One thing that is certain, I can see why some folks have excessive rust on their axles. The brake bolt bosses have absolutely zero paint on them and you can see the bare matte steel casting/forging on mine, same with a few spots where the paint is missing, one is a square area on the front that also leads me to believe the rust color on the front of my axle is from splashing.

I also checked for missing paint on the body panels, the exterior and door jambs aren’t missing anything, in fact the silver paint is top notch, I spent about twenty minutes looking for flaws in the paint, anything that I saw was a grease smudge from transport, a piece of lint and in one case when I finally thought I found something, it was an eyelash. I’ve seen $100,000 Mercedes that had disappointing paint jobs with heavy orange peel and the occasional fish-eye. There was one square of bare aluminum on the underbody, where it looks like it was resting on something, probably a rubber foot during painting the bare cab.

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 07C50E50-AD0B-4CDF-8D3B-D8129617BD9C
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 8AA0E80B-ACAB-49CC-BE18-64C8A88B1A01
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? AED6E715-4436-4FFA-B35D-A537DA7EC127
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? F34AB65E-8B2D-4DB1-8821-B0BF0CF816FC

Steve the Dude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Last edited:

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
You would think, unfortunately, then there’s an upper level bean counter that say “Look, if we don’t paint the axles, we can save over ten million dollars!”

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Picked up my truck last night, when I pulled in I saw it parked in the back and crawled underneath with my Petzl headlamp on for a good ten minutes or more. Later on, when I keyed it on, it had 7.3 miles on it.

I did see some light rust on the very front of the axle and differential, however, I don’t think it was from the axle. I was able to scrape it off with my fingernail and it looked more like a splash from rusty water, almost like when you drive up on an old ferry in the rain, driving through rust puddles. Perhaps some of this is from rail transport or just driving around industrial zones.

One thing that is certain, I can see why some folks have excessive rust on their axles. The brake bolt bosses have absolutely zero paint on them and you can see the bare matte steel casting/forging on mine, same with a few spots where the paint is missing, one is a square area on the front that also leads me to believe the rust color on the front of my axle is from splashing.

I also checked for missing paint on the body panels, the exterior and door jambs aren’t missing anything, in fact the silver paint is top notch, I spent about twenty minutes looking for flaws in the paint, anything that I saw was a grease smudge from transport, a piece of lint and in one case when I finally thought I found something, it was an eyelash. I’ve seen $100,000 Mercedes that had disappointing paint jobs with heavy orange peel and the occasional fish-eye. There was one square of bare aluminum on the underbody, where it looks like it was resting on something, probably a rubber foot during painting the bare cab.
You did exactly what I tried to get everyone to do when they took deliver, good job. Glad yours was not a case of the rusties! Lol

I would still hit that area on the back of the break plate with some good high heat paint or some kind of sealer. For some reason none of the trucks come with that area painted at all.

The industry as a whole appears to feel this is acceptable.

Those that deal with salt roads have the real battle, I'm sure it's an annual thing if you want your vehicle to last.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Good news. The Detroit Free Press reporter that wrote the story on the battery drain issues just told me that she is now writing on the rusty rear axle problem.

Let’s see where it goes.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Outstanding - Maybe she read my suggestion to write a story about Rust, cause I told them a lot of customers were getting new Ford 150s off the line with rust on undercarriage/axles etc... That will be a good article to read - and see what is said.
Sponsored

Last edited: