Sponsored

Rough Country Bed Extender thoughts? Other options?

TSGarp007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 Supercrew Powerboost 302A
Anyone have any experience with the Rough Country 26" bed extender? It's a lot cheaper than the ford accessory, or the amp research one. Anything else I should consider? I want to be able to use it as a bed divider normally, and flip it over to be a bed extender when necessary.

RC Bed Extender

Thanks!
Sponsored

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
Looks identical to the AMP but with $100 less. Nice product actually looks like . At this price I may also get one.

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
I am happy with my 250$
Dollar ready ramp although it's a bit
More than the one you're looking at. No drill, no bolts, more squared off for more space. When I need it as a divider for the area near the tailgate I simply flip it in and bungee the corners to the tie downs nearest the tailgate and it works great to keep my kid's sports gear up there. If I need a clear bed I can fold it flat and secure it against the cab end of the bed or put it inside the cab.

Ford F-150 Rough Country Bed Extender thoughts?  Other options? 2A2F8040-D68D-44EC-893E-F9E5B699E607

Last edited:
OP
OP

TSGarp007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am happy with my 250$
Dollar ready ramp although it's a bit
More than the one you're looking at. No drill, no bolts, more squared off for more space. When I need it as a divider for the area near the tailgate I simply flip it in and bungee the corners to the tie downs nearest the bed and it works great to keep my kid's sports gear up there. If I need a clear bed I can fold it flat and secure it against the cab end of the bed or put it inside the cab.

2A2F8040-D68D-44EC-893E-F9E5B699E607.jpeg
That's interesting. So when you have it like that in the picture, it is only attached to the truck via the bungee cords? I actually don't have those connectors on there, I guess I need to buy whatever those things are called that go in the four holes.

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
I think they're called boxlink tie downs, designed to go into pre reinforced points in the bed. They came with my truck when I got it off the lot. They were in a package sittng under the rear seat and I had to google to figure out what they were. In the configuration I have in the picture it is attached with bungee cords and also braced in place by the tailgate when it's closed. When I open it to access items the thing doesn't move. In the extended position it secures to the tailgate latches and rod and doesn't budge.

I think there's actually supposed to be or was at some point some other tie down you buy and install to secure it in the bed divider position. It's not clear on the website but there is mention on it in some forum buried somewhere. The website doesn't really get down in the weeds on the bed divider function, just makes quick mention of it as a feature.

The bungees work fine for me and even without them just bracing it between the tailgate and wheel well would likely still be fine. My bed is 6.5 feet so I will rarely need the extended function unless I'm hauling boards or drywall or something like huge furniture. So even though I had a fold out amp research unit on my last truck I didn't see much reason for one this time. And this thing provides more space when folded in than the curved amp research unit used to. I can cram a couple other things next to that bag. 90% of the time my bed looks like the photo with a few other things towards the cab and then the sports bag we're constantly grabbing for needing to be held near the tailgate. To reconfigure for an 8 foot-plus bed I'd lift it out and put it back down in the reverse position on the tailgate and secure the straps. If I need an outlet while it's folded in I just bend that leg of it inward to get at the Propower onboard panel.

I might have looked at something different if I was constantly needing to extend the bed but this works fine for me. I considered just a bed divider but even they are 200-plus.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

TSGarp007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s great info. My use would also primarily be as a bed divider. And quite frequently for a baseball bag as well!

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
I've had that style extender and I found it to be a nuisance. It's either a bed divider or an extender, that's it.

The Ford Accessories unit is more flexible and therefore more functional.
Bed divider, bed extender AND folds up to have nearly full use of the bed with tailgate closed.

For my use and from past experience, I'd never go back to a standard extender.

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SCrew 157" Agate Black Lariat 502A
Occupation
CTMO
like @MJG44 mentioned, the Ford one seems far superior than the rest as far as how it can be used and how it functions. the best thing about it is that it can be folded up and pushed aside so if you need the bed, you can use it. you dont have to remove it.

for my 2020 F150 i found one on FB marketplace for $75. i offered the guy $50. came with the hardware. had a few scuffs but didnt really bother me.

i love having it. i like flipping it in and putting the groceries between it and the tailgate.

one of the first things i bought when i got my 22 F150.

OP
OP

TSGarp007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
like @MJG44 mentioned, the Ford one seems far superior than the rest as far as how it can be used and how it functions. the best thing about it is that it can be folded up and pushed aside so if you need the bed, you can use it. you dont have to remove it.

for my 2020 F150 i found one on FB marketplace for $75. i offered the guy $50. came with the hardware. had a few scuffs but didnt really bother me.

i love having it. i like flipping it in and putting the groceries between it and the tailgate.

one of the first things i bought when i got my 22 F150.
That’s an incredible deal.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TSGarp007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You’re a FB marketplace guru! It would need to be closer though.

OP
OP

TSGarp007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Anyone know if the ML3Z99286A40A is compatible with my 2023? Ford accessories site tries to sell me the ML3Z99286A40B - for $800!!!!!!

It may be gone already, but I saw a post for the ML3Z99286A40A near me on FB marketplace.
Sponsored