Sponsored

Road in a 2023 GMC Sierra- way better than prior years

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
Yeah i wasn’t saying it was better but not as bad as you’re making it. you guys are acting based AF

up the Ike it needs MAX power. I was saying towing a load 60 mph on flat ground like you would 90% of the time. No shit the 5.0 makes more power.

dont you now have the same lifter in your motor?
Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
The 5.3 is smaller externally and lighter.
what’s the weight of the trucks?
Dude. 5.3 is more cubic inches than the 5.0. It is a larger engine. It should have more power. It doesnt.

The chevy trucks are hundres of lbs heavier becuae of, you know, aluminum.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
The 5.3 woke up with the a10 just as the coyote did. Not sure what gen motor or trans your experience lies. If you’re looking for speed, the 6.2 is your choice over the 5.3.

the 5.3 will pull about as much weight and is happy on 87 octane. A good value option
The 5.0 runs just fine on 87 as well. Its even listes in the manual. Not sure the point there.

The 5.3 is what....about 20 cubic inches over the 5.0? Thats like the 302 vs 327 back in the day.

The fact that the 5.3 falls behind in every catagory just proves its a dog. I mean there is a reason there are so many 6.2 vs 5.0 videos on you tube. Its the only fair battle.

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
Dude. 5.3 is more cubic inches than the 5.0. It is a larger engine. It should have more power. It doesnt.

The chevy trucks are hundres of lbs heavier becuae of, you know, aluminum.
The coyote is a much larger engine and heavier. The only people that care about hp per liter are those that are taxed by engine displacement. I’m not.

I’d like to look up the truck weights. That doesn’t sound Right.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Yeah i wasn’t saying it was better but not as bad as you’re making it. you guys are acting based AF

up the Ike it needs MAX power. I was saying towing a load 60 mph on flat ground like you would 90% of the time. No shit the 5.0 makes more power.

No, not even remotely the same. DOHC with roller followers vs a push rod with hydraulic lifters

Sponsored

OP
OP

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Seems I started some shit here. Let me start more shit.

I guess my approach is I need x power, y mpgs, and prefer z behavior from an engine in a truck. All that changes for sports cars, which to me, the coyote best fits into. The Coyote revs fast, pulls good, and is very responsive.

Fords own 6.2 and 7.3 (both 7.3s) are perfect quintessential truck engines. Tbh, I actually liked the power curve of the 5.3 too. It wasn't fast, but it was truck like. Pretty subjective criteria I guess, but Fords engines (except the 3.3) are just too damn fast for trucks. The issue with the lifters, piston rings, and AFM over the last almost two decades is enough to steer me clear of most GM and Stella engines. At least with Ford, I can mostly trust these newer engines.

Laugh away, these are my feels.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
And they don’t use a similar mechanism now? How do the valves stay closed?
Nope, solenoid controlled roller follower with locking spring pin vs collapsible hydraulic lifter. They actually share nothing in design, Ford has not had issues with their DOHC cylinder deactivation. It’s been used since 2015 on the 3-cylinder engines, and I can’t even find cases of issue in that or the V8 system on google. Now if you google the 5.3 lifter issue you can compare.

I am not a Chevy hater, but their design is garbage on the 5.3 and easily fixable with some parts procurement changes. I have zero sympathy for them since the issue has been present since 2007. Duramax is a great motor though, and their new 2.7 liter is great so far too.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
And they don’t use a similar mechanism now? How do the valves stay closed?
Also I apologize if I sound rude, reading my post back I come across as a complete d*ck. Sorry, I’ll admit I’m jaded to GM at the moment and for sure am bias to Ford. I’m sure many of them run a long time with no issue too.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Seems I started some shit here. Let me start more shit.

I guess my approach is I need x power, y mpgs, and prefer z behavior from an engine in a truck. All that changes for sports cars, which to me, the coyote best fits into. The Coyote revs fast, pulls good, and is very responsive.

Fords own 6.2 and 7.3 (both 7.3s) are perfect quintessential truck engines. Tbh, I actually liked the power curve of the 5.3 too. It wasn't fast, but it was truck like. Pretty subjective criteria I guess, but Fords engines (except the 3.3) are just too damn fast for trucks. The issue with the lifters, piston rings, and AFM over the last almost two decades is enough to steer me clear of most GM and Stella engines. At least with Ford, I can mostly trust these newer engines.

Laugh away, these are my feels.
I think every Ford motor is good. The 2.7 has great throttle response and great mpg. The 5.0 has great power and mpg for a V8. The 3.5 will pull a house down the road. As for GM the 5.3 on its own is fine, it’s more that they refuse to fix the issue on the AFM that is very curable. Chevys new 2.7 utilized cylinder deactivation and so far has no issues.

Again that’s another DOHC engine, it seems like DOHC engine fair better with CD. As now the Coyote, the Chevy 2.7, and several Honda DOHC motrs use it without issue. But the 5.3 and 6.2 are over there still eating lifters. They could procure better parts but chose to shove it under the rug like Ford did with the 5.4. That my opinion anyway.

Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
The coyote is a much larger engine and heavier. The only people that care about hp per liter are those that are taxed by engine displacement. I’m not.

I’d like to look up the truck weights. That doesn’t sound Right.
Physical size is meaningless. It does weight a bit more than the 5 3. Not near enough to make up for Gross vehicle weight.

Weights on paper are only estimates of course, depending on options. The closest Silverado to F150 for similar builds Ive seen is right at 500lbs heavier for the Chevy. That includes the heavier Coyote engine in those numbers.

Thats a lot of weight to over come.

Taxes have no bearing on me. If i am paying extra for the V8 option, I am going with the one with more power. If the chevy wasnt so ugly, and the fact every Silverado I owned was a pile of crap, i would go with the 6.2, not the 5.3. At least that gets me a little more power than the coyote. But of course the 6.2 needs about 75 c.i. to squeek by the coyote.

The dual overhead cams is such a better design. Much more power out of smaller displacement. The 5.3 is outdated and under powered.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer

Same Lifter? You know the Coyote doesnt have pushrods....right?

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
One reason why I did not consider a GM 1500 pickup last year was that they only have the stock 23-gallon fuel tank and not option for a larger tank. With GM there is also no option for a locking or even a true limited slip differential on their vehicles, only an "anti-spin" feature where the brakes are applied to a faster spinning wheel. Tailgate setup for getting up in the bed and back down on the ground is not as good as what Ford or Ram provides, although as options.

I prefer the user interface provides with the GM trucks but that is far less important for me as the utility of the larger gas tank, the locking rear differential, or the utility group tailgate upgrade.

OP
OP

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
One reason why I did not consider a GM 1500 pickup last year was that they only have the stock 23-gallon fuel tank and not option for a larger tank. With GM there is also no option for a locking or even a true limited slip differential on their vehicles, only an "anti-spin" feature where the brakes are applied to a faster spinning wheel. Tailgate setup for getting up in the bed and back down on the ground is not as good as what Ford or Ram provides, although as options.

I prefer the user interface provides with the GM trucks but that is far less important for me as the utility of the larger gas tank, the locking rear differential, or the utility group tailgate upgrade.
Oh I didn't know that about the anti spin BS. I thought it was just their poor branding for an LSD or something. My 04 has the 3.73 LSD and it'll one wheel on ice trying to get out of a parking spot.
Sponsored